X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearing question

I am planning on changing the gearing in my cj and putting one peace axle shafts in my 20. it has the 2.72's or 2.73's in it now....I cant remember which it is. I want something better for trails and mudding but something that wont take all my top end speed away from the highway use. Suggestions.....

with 33's i would go 4:10's at the very least, i am goin to be dropping 4:88's or 5:13's in mine here shortly. and i will only have 38.5's by then.
    clay

Comment

If you do alot of highway driving and the wheeling you do doesn't consist of rock crawling, go with 3.73's or even 3.55's. If you do mostly trail riding and mudding you want a mid-range ratio to allow the tires to clean without revving the snot out of it. Just recently I geared down to 3.31's from 2.73's(only because they were free or I would have gone to one of the above ratios.) and it does the trick for my type of wheeling. IMO, 4:10 or 4.88 is overkill for a rig that doesn't see rocks and those ratios will suck quite a bit of top end out of your rig. I got the following numbers from here to see what RPM's you'd be running at 60 MPH with 33" tires and what your top speed would be at a cruising RPM of 2250:

60 MPH RPM's:
      2.73=1670 RPM
      3.55=2170 RPM
      3.73=2280 RPM
      4.10=2500 RPM
      4.88=2980 RPM

2250 RPM cruising speeds:
      2.73=81 MPH
      3.55=62 MPH
      3.73=59 MPH
      4.10=54 MPH
      4.88=45 MPH

Comment

I agree with JeepWhore. Go with the 3.73 or 3.54. The 4.10 are way to low for the 4 speed on the highway. I did that route and now I have to go up one set. I think I am going to go to a 3.73.
        Don't get me wrong on the 4.10, they are very great for trails, but on the highway they really suck with a top speed of 65.

Comment

i gues i dont worry to much about the higher rpm's...i have a v8 capable of turning 7000 very easily with the work that has been done, now that i think about it, you prolly have the 258...i see no need to go over 65-70 cause really in the fort worth dallas area, the traffic never really allows you to. that just my thoughts...i had 3:73's in my last jeep with a built up 258 and it would break em loose in 4 wheel drive on the street. but anyways, do what you are more comfortable with but make sure you know what your rig may hold in the long run, if you wanna go rockin later on you will have spent the money twice if you do not choose right the first time, i learned this the hard way with my last jeep.
          clay

Comment

I will reccommend 3.73's. I have a t-18, 33's and 3.73's. I could still start in second gear, and top speed was about 75MPH (can't really tell exact cuz I never calibrated my speedo). 3.54's would be a little sluggish, especially with a 258.

Comment

sounds like 3.73 is the way to go. next question is, how difficult is this to change. I would like to do it myself because money is kinda tight. Anybody know of any tech pages that show how to change gears.
              Thanks for the help.

Comment

Most manuals will have the info you are looking for. I buy alot of them from e-bay you can sometimes get proffesional series motor manuals cheap. Just watch the shipping charges.

Comment

r&p

With the right tools, patience, and some common sense: You can change your gears! Good Luck

Comment

Working...
                  X