X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1982 Cj7 258 torque values and sequence

I am in the process of replacing my 258 cylinder head and cannot find the torque values and sequence for the head bolts...any ideas where to look..Thanks in advance

Got Haynes?

Comment

Dude if you are working on an engine and have no book then you do not need the torque specs, as you most likely have all ready messed it up. Did you take them off in the right steps and order? Did you check your head for warp? These are all the things plus others that a book will help with.

Comment

see if this helps...

http://monsterslayer.com/jeep/40Head/40Head.htm

Comment

Thanks

Ueland,
          Thanks for the help, The mechanic that is helping me needed them, I appreciate the help, and no smart remarks..

Comment

85 foot pounds for the 7/16th bolts. Start in the center and tighten down in an ever-larger circle.

Comment

Originally posted by sooner
              Ueland,
              Thanks for the help, The mechanic that is helping me needed them, I appreciate the help, and no smart remarks..
              well I was originaly gonna say 3 grunts and an ugghh per bolt. but I figured thats harder to translate if you were using air tools

Seriously though, double check those torque values, that writeup was for a newer head on the 258 block. granted it should be the same as long as the block is the same, but it woudlnt hurt to see if you can find a second refrence, such as a haynes manual, or alot of parts shops have a "torque specs guide" I have one around here somewhere, its a freebie (for shops) from felpro and has basicaly every headbolt torque spec and sequence on the planet. Unfortunately I belive its in one of many storage boxes that I have yet to sort through at the moment.

Comment

what about intakes?

This all got me thinking about the intake manifold I'm putting in to my cj7 v8 304. It's an edelbrock but with the 12 bolts that it has, i can find a torque value in the book i have, but never thought about a sequence of tightening them up with. i was just going to start at one end and skip every other bolt and jump from side to side, cross corner.

Anyone think that there should be an 'order' to that?

Thanks for any input, as I plan on putting it together this week end.

Comment

Working...
                X