X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VACUUME LINES; VACUUME LINES; VACUUME LINES

I have a vacuume line leak on my wifes 86' CJ7 & I can't find it.
    I would like to take all of them off.
    The motor is stock w/ a stock 2bl carb, 4 speed etc.
    I want to get rid of the stock air filter also cause that has vacuume lines on it.

Should I or Should I not disconect ALL of the lines?

And if so does anyone have any recomendations on what vacuume lines I should leave besides the distributor, egr.

I might have to change out the carb also due to the vacuume lines on it as well.

P.S. I will still be searching for this vacuume line that doesen't exist!

P.S.S. W/ 63,500 original miles on the stock 86' isn't bad but it's time for a change.

Have A great Day!

JB
    :t
    :bang:

I think you are having the same problems that I am dealing with. Check out my post " NEWBIE CJ7 posted a few days ago.

Comment

SPA84CJ7, Yes we are hitting on the same thing, Thanks.

I would like to keep the current carb for the wifes Jeep & not get into the fuel inj. right know because it only has about 20 thousand miles on it & it is good enough for her & it helps keep her speed down, HAHAHAHA.

I just want to get rid of the vacuume lines so I don't have to put up w/ them anymore & maybe gain some H.P. to boot.
      Of course I need some of them, I'm just wondering if I am creating a monster or not.
      Maybe I'll keep chasing down the bad one & call it quits.

Like my mechanic friend who owns his own garage say's, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Thanks,
      Have A Great Day!

JB

Comment

20k miles on an 86.....WOW. And I thought having 80k miles on an 84 was great. I am very interested to know what response you get to your vacuum lines questions. I am pursuing a carburator change out with another forum member. I would also like to get rid of vacuum lines as a temporary solution.

I will follow your post.

Comment

Spa84CJ7,
          Let me specify w/ great specificity, look @ my post again, I have 63,500 original miles on the 86' & only 20k on the carb.
          I installed a new carb a couple of years ago because it was doing the same thing & I'm tired of it.
          Rebuild kits don't seem to work right.?
          Sorry for any confusion I may of caused.

P.S. If you hear of anything please let me know.

Have A Great Day!

JB

:bang:

Comment

I was having similar problems until I changed my carter 2bbl for a Weber 2bbl kit. If I remember right it the Weber kit eliminated all the vacuum lines except for the EGR.

Comment

JBSGROUP...thanks for the clarification. Should have reread your original post. My carb has also been replaced........a rebuilt job identical to what was in the Jeep when new.

Comment

I really don't know what to do about the vacuum problem but I would like to congradulate you on the term "specifity". Being the misplaced Missouri redneck I am, I appreciate learning new words.

Good luck with the vaccuum thing.

Bob

Comment

OOPS,
                  Sorry Bob, I forgot the "C" in Specificity.

Thanks for all the help on this site.

Have A Great Day !

JB

Comment

Well ya know what, I didn't forget the "C", it's late & I have a wedding to go to tomorrow, been up to long today.

But it is kind of a joke around here " specificity"
                    See ya,

Thanks again,
                    JB

Comment

First Option-
                      Get rid of the computer by doing a "Nutter Bypass" and then upgrade the Ignition using an TFI. www.driveajeep.com has a lot of information and kits for upgrading your ignition. Very easy 2hour job.

Second Option -
                      Get rid of computer and ignition module. HEI system only needs hot wire no computer or ignition module.

Third -
                      Weber carb.

You want believe the horse power gain and smooth running 258 you will end up with.

I have done both to 258 Jeeps and both run or so well..

Comment

If you are going to stay stock, you need each and every one of those lines. Just go to a parts store and get 600 feet of vacuum line. Maybe not that much. Pull one hose off, cut a section of line to the same length and replace. Just don’t break any plastic nipples off of anything and you should be just fine. A lot of those lines are for the computer to control timing. That’s if you want to stay stock. Now if you bypass that ‘puter, you can lose a lot of hose. Hope this helps.

Comment

Hey jbsgroup If you want to find the vac. leak grab your propane torch, turn on the gas, DO NOT LIGHT, or you will have way more problems than a vac leak. Start probing around in the areas of possible vac leaks the engine will speed up when found. Hope that will help you find the problem without much cost

Comment

Hey, thanks a bunch for the info. I think I have her convinced that a Weber would be the way to go. I guess she's tired of me complain.

I told her about the 600 feet of vacuume line. HAHAHAHAHA! :lol:

Have A Great Day!

JB

P.S. Go U.S.A. :t

Comment

Working...
                            X