X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stalling...

Jeep has been running fine until yesterday. It's all the sudden idleing really low to the point of shut off when I push in the clutch pedal or put it in neutral to idle. Any thoughts on the possible problem. Timing is good,....help!

Thanks.
    Casey

One more thing...

As long as I keep up the RPM, it stays running fine, but the stop signs get me every time... and the slow downs.

Casey

Comment

sounds like timming issue, maybe idle screw or dirty carb, possibly dizzy

Comment

vacuum leak?

Check all your hoses, too, Breakthru. I had a rat chew a small hole in a vacuum line that made me crazy for awhile.

Comment

mine used to do the same until i reset the fuel/air mixture on the carb

id check and make sure the little springs for the needles havent pushed the needles out never heard of it, but mine did.

just a suggestion, you never know.

-matt

Comment

Thanks, will check. Hope it's a minor fix.

Casey

Comment

have you checked out the carb venturi's?...just look down the throat of the carb and see if its spraying a mist or dribbling out...heres a tutorial on that called "Easy Fix for Jeep 258 Carter BBD Idle Problem":

http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/articl....jsp?id=277064

hopefully this will do the trick...those damn carter carbs are pure junk...may they be melted down and made into paper weights

Comment

I've got a weber on it.

C

Comment

Originally posted by breakthru
                  I've got a weber on it.
                  Oh the Humanity!!!

on second thought it still kinda sounds like the same thing though...how longs the carb been on it?...can the idle be adjusted to a normal setting without cutting out while driving?

Comment

Adjusted one of the screws on the carb... I didn't think those just moved on their own without touching them??? Who knows, maybe she's gettin broken in finally.

Casey

Comment

try changing you carb gasket. the most over looked thing on this preoblem. have worked on 3 jeeps with same thing. that fixed it.

Comment

if it is a old carb than you might need to rebuild or get new. check the spark plug to see if fuel is getting burned all the way. or not that much

Comment

Working...
                        X