Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
4wd Hardware Electric fan Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 4wd Hardware Electric fan

    I purchased the 16" Electric fan kit some time ago for my rebuild and I went to install it last night and it is too large to mount flush onto the radiator fins, and it is too deep to attach it to the rad supports because it will hit the pully on the water pump. Any suggestions?

  • #2
    use a pusher instead of a puller

    Comment


    • #3
      you will have less cfm if you use it as a pusher. Check the papers first to see if will still do the job. I did that first and jeep would get to hot. Changed it to a puller. Works fine. If it like mine I only had 3" to play with. The fan I got was only 2 1/2" thick

      Comment


      • #4
        http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/v...k/HPIM0886.jpg


        Installed the Duel Flex Fans, gave me just the room I needed. Plenty of cooling.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by redtail View Post
          http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/v...k/HPIM0886.jpg


          Installed the Duel Flex Fans, gave me just the room I needed. Plenty of cooling.
          You might want a hose conecting the engine to the radiator! haha

          I like your idea except for the price, if I can get the fan that I have to work that would be the ideal. But as I have noticed with the build sometimes you just have to deal with it and pay the price.

          The fan would work if I could get it flush with the fins but the horizontal pieces on the top and bottom of the radiator (I don't know the correct terminology) stick out about 1/2" farther than the fins and there is a 1/4" lip on each that won't let the shroud into the fins. I can get the bottom of the shroud in but I still have the lip at the top to deal with.

          Comment


          • #6
            I didn't like the price myself, just ran out of options.

            Comment


            • #7
              Here's a pic of mine, can take a better one if you want
              http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s.../jeep22003.jpg

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Upper1 View Post
                you will have less cfm if you use it as a pusher.
                i've gotta see proof on this one. if the blades displace the air it doesn't matter which direction they're displacing it. some fans are reversable and they've got the same CFM in both directions.

                here's mine
                http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87...p%20CJ/350.jpg

                Comment


                • #9
                  i used a pusher and a puller and it worked awesome, while my buddy's grand cherokee and cherokee were overheating on the trail, the ol' cj stayed cool i used one that i bought from advance for like $60 and found the other in the junk yard. I did, have to offset them for obvious reasons, in order to clear the wp pulley
                  Last edited by cfitz; 04-02-2009, 08:28 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Fubar,
                    It said it on my paperwork. I'll see if I still have it. I'll scan it and post it. If I remember right The cfm dropped by 300cfm. I have the s-blade style. Don't know if that makes a difference. Here's some thing to try at home for some more proof. Pull your blower on your furance, Take the blower wheel out and turn it around. Then see how much air flow you got. Your furance will be cycling on the primary limit. I know that for a fact. It's my job and seen a homeowner do it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Upper1 View Post
                      Fubar,
                      It said it on my paperwork. I'll see if I still have it. I'll scan it and post it. If I remember right The cfm dropped by 300cfm. I have the s-blade style. Don't know if that makes a difference. Here's some thing to try at home for some more proof. Pull your blower on your furance, Take the blower wheel out and turn it around. Then see how much air flow you got. Your furance will be cycling on the primary limit. I know that for a fact. It's my job and seen a homeowner do it.

                      while i don't get the physics behind it (where's oros when you want him?) but i'll take your word for it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        electric fans are good...

                        When I installed mine, I did not like the through core mounting system, so I ended up fabricating a flat shroud from aluminum diamond plate. I also moved the radiator forward for clearance. Looking at one of the posts above, I wish I would have thought about replacing the fan studs with bolts... I would not have had to move the radiator. I would caution you to hook the fan up to a battery BEFORE you get it installed. The second one I put in (first one had a bad motor from the factory) was so out of balance that it shook the whole jeep when it would turn on. Don't forget to secure it to something before you turn it on... it's all fun and games until someone losses a finger! Good luck

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Fubar,
                          I stand corrected! It's been 4yrs sense I read it. My fan can set for a puller. With the s-blade you have to turn the fan blade around for a pusher. If you don't it cuts the cfm by a 1/3. That's what it says in the paper. I did that when I installed mine. It got too hot as a pusher so I turned it back to a puller and now it stays at the right temp. Go figure. Not trying to steal the thread. Hope it helps Upper

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Upper1 View Post
                            Fubar,
                            I stand corrected! It's been 4yrs sense I read it. My fan can set for a puller. With the s-blade you have to turn the fan blade around for a pusher. If you don't it cuts the cfm by a 1/3. That's what it says in the paper. I did that when I installed mine. It got too hot as a pusher so I turned it back to a puller and now it stays at the right temp. Go figure. Not trying to steal the thread. Hope it helps Upper
                            No worries. I am learning with each post!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by dj_jeepin View Post
                              No worries. I am learning with each post!
                              There's some smart people on the forum. Fubar is one of them. Good luck with the fan. Upper

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X