Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EvilTwin v2
    I don't buy it.
    That's good, because I was joking...bad joke, bad joke.

In all seriousness though, I saw a commercial for some brand new toyota that gets 40 mpg and cost $11,000 brand new. As much as I'd like to have another "cool" car, I just can't see the practicallity of spending $35, $25, or even $20 thousand dollars when a brand new, reliable, efficient $11,000 car meets my needs. Then I can hang on to the TJ and spend more money on stuff for it!

In the end, I still think as far as economics go, the overal price of the car is more important to consider than the MPG.

Good luck though! I'm sure there is the perfect vehicle out there that will fit both your's, and your wife's needs and expectations!

PS: VW's are cool! Just don't forget to "unpimpz de auto" yourself before you go to the dealership...
    Last edited by davida_jr; 04-28-2006, 01:56 PM.

Comment

I guess it'd be worth looking at. Only thing there is that I currently drive an Olds Intrigue (a bit larger than the Jetta), and I have it packed with everything I use for work. This would be my work car.

That & I've never been a huge VW fan...ok, so I used to like chopping the bodies off of the original beetles...

I'll see if I can find a dealer with one & take her for a test drive.
      You can fit atleast 9 bodies in the trunk...its crazy how big they are..

Comment

K 5 day results.

okay monday 98 miles round trip. 60 degrees 34.5 miles stop and go only in monroville near the pike
        tuesday- 71* staright thru to indiana no problems no stop and go 37.3mpg
        wed. 65* round trip 97 miles-hit rush hour at 515 on 379- 33.2 mpg
        thursday 68* to and from stopped in robinson to pick up computer from repair 113.5 miles total. 36.8mpg
        friday today round trip no traffic left early 66* out windows down 37.2 mpg
        avg. is around 35.1 in this area from moon to indiana. i noticed it eats gas only of course on take off but my wife says she doesnt floor it on acceleration like i do she was moderate and consistant but it powers thru traffic wholes easily she said witth a tap of the gas. thats the analysis and i have 86 miles left in the tank.as of fri-7:50 pm hope that helps ya'll out.

Comment

no spark plugs. the only thing that mopar has with that name is a block heater that certain liberty's have already installed as an option so your desial fuel doesnt gel or its not toatally cold when you try to start it and over work your glow plugs. its an option you can have installed at your local dealer.

Comment

That's great mpg for an SUV. Unfortunately, my wife hated the feel of it. She couldn't get comfortable with the seats at all. Without approval from her, it's a no-go.

On the plus side, I found a can't pass it up deal on an '04 Trailblazer EXT LT that's completely loaded today. The guy is liquidating his assets before he goes on an extended vacation in the grey bar hotel, so he priced it for quick sale. I'm going tomorrow to get it at about 1/2 retail.

Comment

Ahhh,

That's definitely not going to get good mileage. I have an '04 Envoy with the 4.2 and the best it has seen on a trip was 24. That was with a good tail wind. Plan on around 20 on the highway. Low teens in town.

High5

Comment

Originally posted by High5
                Ahhh,

That's definitely not going to get good mileage. I have an '04 Envoy with the 4.2 and the best it has seen on a trip was 24. That was with a good tail wind. Plan on around 20 on the highway. Low teens in town.

High5
                I'm not concerned about the mileage with it. It'll replace the wife's Olds Aurora as her daily driver, and it gets about the same mileage as her car in town...she drives 3 miles each way to work.

We were planning to either get me an economical vehicle to replace my work car (Olds Intrigue...gets 28mpg + on the highway) and then she'd get the Intrigue, or for me to keep the Intrigue for work & replace her car with an SUV or truck to drive the 3 miles to work & then use as a family vehicle & also tow a trailer. Either way, the new one needed to be suitable as a family vehicle.

The Libby woulda been great as a work vehicle, but since my wife disliked it so much, it wouldn't cut it for family use. This Trailblazer, I just can't pass up. Now I just have to sneak an Airaid intake, Hypertech programmer & cat back exhaust onto it without her knowing!

Comment

Well, we took a trip up to Robinson today (Mick's Dodge Jeep), and test drove a dark khaki Limited CRD Libby. I loved it. I was amazed how ballsy that little diesel 4 banger felt, and how quiet it was for a diesel. I was also impressed with how comfortable & smooth the Libby drove. My wife on the other hand hated it. She couldn't get comfortable and she thought the engine was wayyyy too loud.

Unfortunately, $30,000 is too much money to spend without both of us sharing the same love for the vehicle. Therefore, it is off the list. Now it figure out what we're going to buy!

Lucky you, over here we have to pay 36,000 for a naked CRD, if you want a limited CRD they charge 40,000, and those things are made over here, they don't even have the shipping over the big pond...

Comment

Originally posted by Toralf
                    Lucky you, over here we have to pay 36,000 for a naked CRD, if you want a limited CRD they charge 40,000, and those things are made over here, they don't even have the shipping over the big pond...
                    Are you figuring from U.S. Currency?

Just curious, but what currency is used in Germany these days? I knwo the duetsche mark is obsolete. Are you using Euros?

I hope you're figuring 40,000 as US... cause 40,000 Euro's would be a ridiculous amount... what, about 50,000 to 51,000 US dollars???

Comment

Are you figuring from U.S. Currency?

Just curious, but what currency is used in Germany these days? I knwo the duetsche mark is obsolete. Are you using Euros?

I hope you're figuring 40,000 as US... cause 40,000 Euro's would be a ridiculous amount... what, about 50,000 to 51,000 US dollars???

We use the Euro novadays.
                      I was talking in USD, having a Euro - USD rate of 1,23 presently. Yeah, 40,000 would be some 49,000 USD...

Comment

What's the cost of fuel over there these days? I'm sure we're catching up, but probably not there yet.

I think that's why there are so many more/better diesel choices in Europe. The fuel and vehicles are more expensive, so people are forced to make better choices as a vehicle really needs to be more economical and last longer. Therefore Europeans buy less often, forcing the manufacturers to really try to sell to them, and offer good choices.

It's interesting to look at the world economy & see which countries are marketed which items. Of course us arrogant Americans think we're at the top with everything, but it couldn't be further from the truth.

Comment

anyone interested in a TDI should go to www.tdiclub.com. Those guys know everything. I drive a 2002 jetta TDI (automatic-at my wife's request) and get 42 mpg consistently. With a real tranny (5 speed) these guys are getting 50 and 60 mpg!!!!
                          Originally posted by Piginajeep
                          they only offer the 1.9 in the states, ive heard they are not going to sell diesels after 2007 but thats what the wierd VW people say..

its still quick for a 4 cylinder....

the only downside, there no way to work on these cars, if somethings wrong it goes the the dealer...
                          they haven't figured out a way to make the current TDI engine meet the 2007 emissions ratings (which require that particulate emissions be almost as low as a gas engine). so they are working on designs similar to DC's "CRD" (common rail diesel) supposed to cut particulate matter down some, and then there's additional exhaust emissions controls - something about a "urea filter". VW wanted to put a urea filter on the current engines and call it good, but it would have needed servicing after 50,000 miles, and our great govt will not allow emissions equipment that requires servicing at less than 100,000 miles.
                          THANK YOU FOR PROTECTING ME, WASHINGTON!
                          These things are amazingly quick for a four cylinder! It's all about the torque. We're talking 98 horsepower, but somewhere near 160 ft/lb torque, and the powerband is right at highway rpm's. I heard it said once that you feel or hear horsepower, you drive torque - so true. It's the greatest feeling heading home up the cajon pass (a decent elevation gain) and setting the cruise at 80 and have the car never even try hard! And while heading up that hill, I've still got powere to pass if need be! Any gas four cyl i've ever had complains all the way to the top, and needs to be a gear lower than it should.

it is not true that you can't work on them. yes, VW outpaced technology with all the electronics on their cars. (the door dinger isn't a standard button like everything that's worked in the past; no, it's a micro switch that's tied in to the door lock mechanism, that the soldering breaks on at about 60,000 miles, so as you drive down the highway, the door dinger goes off. Not fun, but fixable.) There is a program available for your PC called VagCom which can be connected to your car's scan port and tell you everything about your vehicle, plus you can change settings in most systems.

oh, as far as the dealer goes, NEVER take a TDI to the dealer. They do not have any idea what they are doing, and it will cost you twice what a good TDI knowledgeable mechanic will cost you. better yet, break out the wrench and the laptop........

someday i will put a 1.9 TDI in a flatfender, and life will be GREAT.

Comment

What's the cost of fuel over there these days? I'm sure we're catching up, but probably not there yet.

I think that's why there are so many more/better diesel choices in Europe. The fuel and vehicles are more expensive, so people are forced to make better choices as a vehicle really needs to be more economical and last longer. Therefore Europeans buy less often, forcing the manufacturers to really try to sell to them, and offer good choices.

It's interesting to look at the world economy & see which countries are marketed which items. Of course us arrogant Americans think we're at the top with everything, but it couldn't be further from the truth.

Well, we're at about 6-6,50 USD a gallon at this time but had a high of 7 around the Easter weekend.

Yeah, we have a lot of diesel cars here and the manufacturers come up with new version every day. VW reached 170 horse out of a 2 liter TDI reaching almost 50 mpg. My dads VW Passat stationwagon does that as well when driven normally but it only has a 110 horse 1,9 liter TDI engine but this thing already runs, the 170 horse engine is a Beast compared to it, it goes brutally forward... but those are damn expensive, VW charges fopr that engine in a Golf 33,000 bucks... I should better have my bill printing machine running soon

Comment

Originally posted by mjo79
                              anyone interested in a TDI should go to www.tdiclub.com. Those guys know everything. I drive a 2002 jetta TDI (automatic-at my wife's request) and get 42 mpg consistently. With a real tranny (5 speed) these guys are getting 50 and 60 mpg!!!!

they haven't figured out a way to make the current TDI engine meet the 2007 emissions ratings (which require that particulate emissions be almost as low as a gas engine). so they are working on designs similar to DC's "CRD" (common rail diesel) supposed to cut particulate matter down some, and then there's additional exhaust emissions controls - something about a "urea filter". VW wanted to put a urea filter on the current engines and call it good, but it would have needed servicing after 50,000 miles, and our great govt will not allow emissions equipment that requires servicing at less than 100,000 miles.
                              THANK YOU FOR PROTECTING ME, WASHINGTON!
                              These things are amazingly quick for a four cylinder! It's all about the torque. We're talking 98 horsepower, but somewhere near 160 ft/lb torque, and the powerband is right at highway rpm's. I heard it said once that you feel or hear horsepower, you drive torque - so true. It's the greatest feeling heading home up the cajon pass (a decent elevation gain) and setting the cruise at 80 and have the car never even try hard! And while heading up that hill, I've still got powere to pass if need be! Any gas four cyl i've ever had complains all the way to the top, and needs to be a gear lower than it should.

it is not true that you can't work on them. yes, VW outpaced technology with all the electronics on their cars. (the door dinger isn't a standard button like everything that's worked in the past; no, it's a micro switch that's tied in to the door lock mechanism, that the soldering breaks on at about 60,000 miles, so as you drive down the highway, the door dinger goes off. Not fun, but fixable.) There is a program available for your PC called VagCom which can be connected to your car's scan port and tell you everything about your vehicle, plus you can change settings in most systems.

oh, as far as the dealer goes, NEVER take a TDI to the dealer. They do not have any idea what they are doing, and it will cost you twice what a good TDI knowledgeable mechanic will cost you. better yet, break out the wrench and the laptop........

someday i will put a 1.9 TDI in a flatfender, and life will be GREAT.

I know a guy who is presently trying to put a 1,9 liter VW TDI (150 hp) into a TJ, he stuggles with the tranny adoption still but if this thing is running it would be great...

Comment

I think the Cummins 4BT would be the absolute best choice for a Jeep, although it might be too powerful.

Comment

Working...
                                X