X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil pressure gauge drops to zero

The oil pressure gauge on my '96 GC w/5.2 drops to zero every once in a while. It does it mainly when coming to a stop. I checked the oil level and it is full. Is this an oil pump on it's way out or possibly the switch. Thanks for any help.

Yup, definately sounds like the oil pump or oil pickup. If the pickup screen if plugged with sludge it could have the same effect as the pump. But, once you go through all the effort of dropping the oil pan, you may as well replace the pump and pickup.

As the oil warms up, the RPM is the only thing keeping the pressure up.

Comment

When oil warms up it thins out. So it will not hold oil pressure as well. As an engine wears the tolerances "loosen up" and wont hold pressure as well. Thicker oils sometimes dont help, too thick and it wont flow properly and you can starve area of the engine of oil.

Comment

pressure

My XJ was just doing this...I bout a new pump with pick-up at autozone for 74.95 and changed it last weekend and now my pressure is great!

Comment

Thanks, going to change the pump this weekend.

Comment

when you first start it is it fine, then as the engine gets hotter the pressure really drops bad?

Comment

Changed the pump. When I started it, it had no pressure and made some noises that weren't heard before. Going to take it apart again. Any suggestions on what to look for or try when reinstalling it.

Comment

Did you first pack the pump with grease, assembly lube, or Vaseline? By doing this, it primes the pump.

How long did you run it? The noise you heard was probably the pump running dry.

If you didn't run it long, there was probably no harm done.

Comment

You might check your oil sending unit. I have a 96 Grand and it did the very same thing. I checked it all out,saw that at idle speed it was pumping oil on to the lifters looking through the oil cap and realized it was the sending unit.
                  I did this about 2 years ago and it is still running great.I haven't put a new one on yet.

Comment

Where is the sending unit located? I'm going to change that now. I reinstalled the pump, no noise this time, but still no pressure on the gauge. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

did you see my earlier post? if that's your symptoms you're in for some new main bearings. just an FYI.

Comment

Originally posted by myfirstGrand
                        Where is the sending unit located? I'm going to change that now. I reinstalled the pump, no noise this time, but still no pressure on the gauge. Thanks for all the help.
                        Right next to the oil filter.

Comment

Sorry it took so long to reply, it is located on the left side of the engine block ( if you are looking at the front of the Jeep)it screws right into the block around the middle and has a little black plug. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                          X