Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinion Gear bearings on 95 Laredo

Hi All-

Seems my 95 Grand Cherokee has issues in the front end. I just replaced the drivers side hub and CV axle (was pretty easy actually)but I am somewhat hesitant about ripping apart my Dana 30 (ugh, I know) unit. Seems with the front driveshaft out, all sounds good...except that I have a rear wheel 2 wheel drive Jeep that is useless. Now when I put the driveshaft back in, we get a pronounced growl that increases with speed. It def sounds like it is coming from the yoke area on the differential (not left or right) , so I suspect the pinion bearings may be toast.

The added torque of the front driveshaft seeks to put a load on them, and makes a pretty nasty noise. If it were the Ring & Pinion gear themselves, I suspect they would growl all the time. not just when the front drive shaft is back in. (FYI- the front driveshaft is brand new.) Anyone ripped apart a Dana 30 without alot of special tools? I just ordered a whole new bearing rebuild kit, and expect to find the worst. Love my 95' lots of power from the 5.2L and its overall been a great drive.

-Hung up in Colorado

To change the bearing is not all that bad. If you could handle the hub and cv axil you can do the diff bearings. First with the driveshaft disconnected is there play when you move the yoke? 2nd you may want to open the diff and see if you can see anything out of place. IF you do change the bearings an air chisel make taking the old ones off easy. And to put the new ones on put the pinion and careier in the freezer over night. Then the next day heat the new bearings with a torch to get them a little warm to hot. And then they will go to gether with out a hitch. Do not for get your spacer that where on your pinion before you place on the new bearing.

Comment

You shouldn't be

driving around without the front shaft being in. You will burn up the viscous coupling in the tcase.. Is the growl steady as the speed goes up and down, or worse when you accel or let up on the gas?
      If its steady as you speed up and slow down the Jeep then most likely its the carriers
      If its worse more so with accel or decel, then you have pinion bearing issue.
      If it changes as you shift the weight from side to side with swerving then its a hub bearing. Good luck

Comment

Arggggh...

Originally posted by hmr-rsq
        driving around without the front shaft being in. You will burn up the viscous coupling in the tcase.. Is the growl steady as the speed goes up and down, or worse when you accel or let up on the gas?
        If its steady as you speed up and slow down the Jeep then most likely its the carriers
        If its worse more so with accel or decel, then you have pinion bearing issue.
        If it changes as you shift the weight from side to side with swerving then its a hub bearing. Good luck
        Thanks for the replies folks!

Yeah... I was afraid of that as well. I bought the vehicle from someone else and the driveshaft wasn't even IN. When I asked him about it, he side he high-centered on a rock and tore the little balance weight (that was welded on no less) off and ruined the driveshaft. He did give me a new one with the vehicle when he sold it to me though. Great. So now I'm probably looking at a new NP-249 transfer case, or at the very least a new viscous coupler(which is like 500-600 bucks!) Ouch. Not my day.

Comment

If you can do the swap yourself

sometimes its cheaper to swap out the tcase. But a learning challenge when you strip the tcase and replace parts. In my shop I've actually replaced many viscous w/o removing the tcase from the Jeep. Sounds like prior owner did more than just knock off the weight if they replaced the shaft.
          Good luck!!

Comment

Thanks again for the replies everyone!
            I'll post here later and let ya all know how it worked out!

Hmr-Rsq- you take care now-

Comment

Working...
            X