X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full time 4 wheel drive?? NOT!

I discovered yesterday with a 94 GC and my own 98 that if you can get one front and one rear wheel in the air at the same time those wheels go round and round and the two on the ground just sit there. I assume this is normal since both did it. Most dissapointing.

Of course a nice ARB air locker in the D30 up front would cure 1/2 the problem. Since the rear has one of those Aluminum D44s it is supposedly limited slip and not completly slip. I shall inquire of my dealer and the old head service tech tomorrow.

Does anyone know what the differences are between my rear end an a true 44? Does anyone make a locker (preferably an air, electric or cable type) that will fit into this aluminum housing?

Dave

im not sure what rear-end you have in your jeep, but as for lockers i can give some advice.

the ARB lockers, from what i thought, were a dream to get. but thanks to a post in the d44 pinion cj section by gnarly, there was a link describing issues ppl were having with them. (ill find it for you after i post this)

http://www.stu-offroad.com/misc/locker-1.htm

basically they're fine, but theres more parts prone to breaking. (which they do) plus, more than 1 person said their brand air compressor su*ked.

OX locker might work, but they stick out about an inch from your differential and it can be a pain to wire the thick wiring. other than that they're a brick house.

-matt
    Last edited by .:Matt:.; 07-23-2007, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Update

Thanks for your words matt! The rear diff is called a D44 HD, it made of Aluminum and noone seems to make a locker for it. See the comments below:

Mr. Plaster-
      We appreciate your interest in our products.
      Sorry, but we don't build anything to fit your D44 HD rear axle.

Scott Frary
      Aftermarket Sales Manager
      Eaton/Detroit Locker
      425-917-2361
      scottkfrary@eaton.com

And:

Dave,

You are correct that we do not have a locker to suit the rear of your ZJ. We are working with our air locker engineer at the moment to determine if we can design a unit for that housing. The problem with the aluminum housing in the ZJ

Comment

the only locker currently made for the A44 is an aussie locker. as for the front, you're good to go with a selectable locker like a ARB or even an electric one by auburn or detriot.

also... consider some day down the road swapping out that ****ty 247 for either a 231 (part time) or a 242 (part/full time) transfer case.

i have a 249 and plan to swap to a 242 here at some point... when i have money... which won't be any time soon... oh the thrills of owning 3 jeeps.

as for the differences between your A44 and a Fe44, well... they are countless. the A44 is actually closer to a dana 60 in size, but due to the aluminum/steel combo, it's not nearly as strong. but it's a turd of an axle... and no one makes parts for it. so maybe consider swappint to a Fe44 from a TJ or an XJ and call it a day.
        Last edited by muddyjeep; 07-26-2007, 09:23 PM.

Comment

ahh nice. learn something new everyday.

the axles im purchasing from fubar have an electronic locker in the front already.

im not really all for on board air. just more stuff to be stolen, and i really dont want to worry about air leaks. and an all time locked detroit isnt easy on the tires if you drive ANYTHING on-road, if you know what i mean.

so the electronic lockers were the way i wanted to go in the end with price vs quality. but some will argue their performance =]

i would suggest swapping the axle first, if your gonna do it, might as well do it right the first time. might just take longer. but its worth it.

on the lockers, im willing to chance it

my wallet says what i can and cant get in the end.

-matt

Comment

The A44 was DCs way of offering a tow package in the grand without actually using a D44. The aluminum center section still uses D35 shafts and bearings. What you get is the larger D44 Ring and Pinion, 8.75 vs 7.25 inthe D35. You're right no one makes a locker for it except DC and it will cost you as much as an ARB. Its not really a locker but a ltd slip so... Also not all the A44s came with a ltd slip. The ORvis models did but other than that it was an option not a std item.
            As to the ARB being "more moving parts" yes thats true but how scientific of an anology is that? I deal with the ARB folks on a regular basis and the breakage that occurs is generally not locker destruction, it's installation issues, and half assed air installs that cause the problems. I run my air along with my brake lines so If I cut one, I have more to worry about than my lockers working. There are a lot of people installing them and not reading the instructions. I have about 20 readers this year from various parts of the country who have all had problems with shops doing installs.
            I've been running my ARBs for over 5 yrs now without an issue.
            The best of both worlds: spool when on, open when off.

Comment

Having watched an individual with an OX front nearly wipeout on the highway because the selection lever slipped the thing into "locked" while he was tooling down the highway, all I can say is - nothing is perfect. At least with the ARB air, you have the option of other, better compressors.

If you'd seen that wipeout/near roll-over, you'd think twice about puttin' one of those in, too. Hitting a deer would have been more pleasant.

Comment

As a user of OX products I have to say, thers really no way for it to "slip" into locked position, unless the user disabled the the latch emchanism on the handle or it wasnt installed properly. Youre probably the first ever to see this anomoly. After talking to the OX folks, they concur, 1 its not possible unless osmething is wrong with the lever, and 2 at highway speeds it would be extremely dificult to engage even if you wanted it to. Damn! physics is such a BS flag.
                Last edited by adventure bob; 08-21-2007, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by adventure bob
                  As a user of OX products I have to say, thers really no way for it to "slip" into locked position, unless the user disabled the the latch emchanism on the handle or it wasnt installed properly. Youre probably the first ever to see this anomoly. After talking to the OX folks, they concur, 1 its not possible unless osmething is wrong with the lever, and 2 at highway speeds it would be extremely dificult to engage even if you wanted it to. Damn! physics is such a BS flag.
                  AB, I don't know the mechanics of the silly thing, or how it went in...
                  I was riding passenger with TAs_XJ and we were behind someone with a brand-newly installed OX... my description of how it happened (as in slipping in) may not describe the mechanics correctly.
                  But I know what I saw... his locker engaged while in a turn on the road.
                  I really thought the guy had hit a deer.
                  So I don't buy the BS flag...

I'm already having a bad day, and anyone that knows me knows I really don't care too much about the physics/mechanics of things, just so long as I can get the results needed. Thanks for the BS flag, but I ain't buyin' that I didn't see what I saw.
                  Last edited by tomsjeep; 08-21-2007, 01:50 PM.

Comment

You have to consciously move it into the locked position, unless like I said there was some installation problem. The handle collar is spring loaded to the closed position. To engage it you have to lift the handle above the lock detent, about 3/4 of an inch and then move it about 3 inches to the locked position. The problem with the slipped in there story is that the shift collar doesnt rotate at the same speed as the spider gear when not locked so shoving it into position is hard even if your trying. Believe me during testing we try to break these things. At 40MPH its not been possible to get the locker into the locked postion. It does however make some really great grinding protests much like an old 3 speed tranny if you dont double clutch.
                    So to my original statement, I dont buy the it just slipped into gear, if it did your friend has some installation probs that should be checked out by someone who has some OX experience.

Comment

Another update!

An OX, I could live with an OX in the front. Or an ARB (advantage to that in my thinking is OBA).

The "old head" mechanic who speaks not much english tells me that the real problem with the aluminum housing is that when you put the "spreader" in to remove the gears the thing don't "spring" back once you remove the spreader. Bearings start spinning & it's bye bye time.

D44 from an older TJ Rubicon could be my answer, HOWEVER, momma says the DD doesn't need that kind of umph sooooo......

Dave

Comment

Theres a caution in the Jeep SHop Manual for the axle that says dont spread the housing more than .38MM or .015In or you'll damage it or distort it so that the bearing faces arent parralel (sp?). So he actaully knows what he's talking about.
                        The ARB folks have told us if the shop doesnt have a diff spreader you shouldnt let them install your diffs. It's not a nice to have item. Without spreading the case on 30/35 you dont get enough preload on the bearings and then when you load up one end of the axle the bearings unseat from the races or worse the races move. This causes all kinds of badness.

Comment

Originally posted by adventure bob
                          So to my original statement, I dont buy the it just slipped into gear, if it did your friend has some installation probs that should be checked out by someone who has some OX experience.
                          The locker engaged.
                          I gathered the installation was iffy... Whether or not it was already "in" or went through a worm-hole to cross a tear in the space-time continuum and "slipped in" I couldn't tell you... I did poorly in astro-physics.

I cannot speak to the mechanism.
                          Nor do I challenge your expertise... just reporting what I saw.

Comment

VP of Breaking Stuff! How cool is that?

VP of Breaking Stuff
                            MOABJEEPER Magazine

I'm sure i'm nowhere near as talented as yourself, HOWEVER, I'm a good and quick learner. Having retired from the Air Force, where, among other things, I investigated aircraft accidents (massive amounts of really bent up metal) I feel I really know what it takes to REALLY break things.

How much would it cost me to get a starting position as say deputy 2nd assistant under secretary for Breaking Stuff?

Dave

Comment

Go to MOABJEEPER, look up my phone number and call me. We're always interested in getting literate people to test stuff..

Comment

Working...
                              X