X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Pressure Sending Unit

Ok, so I changed this lovely little device out on my 96 with a 318. Total PIA!. First they stuck the thing back there by the rotor. Second, they stuck it back there by the rotor. For those of you with the v-8 you'll know exactly what I mean. Ok so what is the indication that yours may be failing? At low RPM a sudden drop to no oil pressure accompanied by the "check gauges" chime. How do you know it's not really on oil pressure problem? No valve clatter. Since the 318 has hydraulic lifters, 0 oil pressure would result in caltter as pressure decreased to 0. You can double check with a mechanical oil pressure guage that you can borrow from AZ or Advance. So I bought mine and went to replace it. You need a very, very deep well 1 1/16 socket and the ability to find a hole blind. You cannot see the hole where this thing goes and it must be done completely by brail. Replaced it and viola! The oil pressure is in the normal range an no more drops to no oil pressure.

I'm glad that's all it is. Thanks for the info too.

Comment

Good Job there Bob

Wait till ya gotta change out that there
      darned ole' chrome muffler bearing

Comment

oh that chrome muffler bearing is the worst! I say take it to a shop to have them fix that one for ya!

Comment

Originally posted by hmr-rsq
          Wait till ya gotta change out that there
          darned ole' chrome muffler bearing
          I think I heard John say he changed enough of those things during his life to set up a small trust fund for his retirement. The steel wasn't worth much, but all the chrome turned out to be valuable.

Comment

Yeah???

Originally posted by rstarch345
            I think I heard John say he changed enough of those things during his life to set up a small trust fund for his retirement. The steel wasn't worth much, but all the chrome turned out to be valuable.

Trouble was, that they wouldn't last very long once the heat got to them. Pigmie metal I think, that they were were made out of.

Comment

Try the evaporator unit for the AC. The whole dash has to come out.
              Part: $105
              Labor: $800
              Having my 2 year old son not melt in the Florida heat: Priceless

Comment

Working...
              X