X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Rear lamp failure

So I have had a "rear lamp failure" since the day I got it. I have replaced all the light bulbs in the rear and have cleaned all the terminals. All the lights work!

Here is the odd part, the computer thing tells me I have a rear lamp failure only after I press on the brake pedal. It can run forever as long as the pedal is not touched with no problems...but as soon as it is touched then it pops up, and stays on until the jeep is shut down again.

Any Ideas? I am thinking brake switch is acting up...but I wouldnt know where it is anyway.

Thanks
    Ry

Read this; this; this; and/or this.

From everything I read it's one of a few things:
    1. Most often, it's one of the THREE bulbs in the third brake light. Most people don't realize there are three bulbs up there.
    2. It could be corrosion or a short in your trailer wiring harness.
    3. Your "outage module" could be burnt out. That's how the computer knows something is wrong; it monitors the resistance. When resistance is higher than the standard bulb you get the warning.
    4. One of the bulbs is the wrong type. The computer is really sensitive to resistance, even a little off will trip it.

I hope you get it worked out.

Comment

thaks matt! ill try that.

oh by the way the grand is all registered and insured so im ready to hit the trails again.

Ry

Comment

I just looked at the 3rd brake light, it doesnt look like I have 3 bulbs in there...I even took it out completly no extra wires, maybe becaus emine is a 93???

I will check the rest later, maybe recheck all the bulbs are correct.

Ry

Comment

Originally posted by lil ry ry
          I just looked at the 3rd brake light, it doesnt look like I have 3 bulbs in there...I even took it out completly no extra wires, maybe becaus emine is a 93???

I will check the rest later, maybe recheck all the bulbs are correct.

Ry
          They say there are three, but one is hard to see? I've never seen inside so I have no clue.

Comment

When I had my ZJ it did the same thing. I checked every bulb, and replaced all of them, only to have the stupid light stay on. I started checking for shorts because all the bulbs were new. Ended up being a short some where before the bulbs, so it was hidden under the carpet and all the plastic molding. I never fixed it all the lights worked fine, I just lived with that annoying computer telling me the bulbs were out.

Comment

I might just live with it too...its just annoying.

Comment

Like mjo79 said

Originally posted by lil ry ry
                I might just live with it too...its just annoying.

Make sure that the bulbs are the same size. ie...921 is what should be in there..(hi-mount) 1157 (reg. brake/turn/tail) 1156 (backup)
                Look at your owners manual it'll tell ya. Also look at the two side marker bulbs in the rear taillamp housing. Alot of people overlook those.
                (upper outer corner) they use a 194

I used to have a ZJ come in the shop and act up for me, then one day he was pulling his utility trailer and come to find out he wasnt using a convertor for the amber turn. fixed that! and down the road he went.

Comment

mine too!

Mine did exactly the way yours acted up right down to waiting for you to hit the brake the 1st time. It was a burnt out "outboard" running light in the rear brake light assembly.

Dave

Comment

mine says it, it might have somthing to do with the fact that I broke the 3rd light housing off cause I got tired of seeing a light come up behind me at night.

Comment

Originally posted by 91RedRenegade
                      Mine did exactly the way yours acted up right down to waiting for you to hit the brake the 1st time. It was a burnt out "outboard" running light in the rear brake light assembly.

Dave
                      B-I-N-G-O

Comment

Okay so after tearing apart my jeep almost all the way because of paint i assembled it and my idiot icon for rear lamp failure is gone now...I dont know what I did, but now it works...

Comment

I love it when things start working do to pure luck!

Comment

Working...
                          X