X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gearing and rear end/axle stuff

I have a 1996 grand, I got stuck on an icy hill last year, took 2 hours with a pickaxe and shovel to clear ice off the dirt road and inch forward to clear the hill.....relative novice to 4wd operations, but would like to install lockers on at least the rear end...if not both front AND back. Anyone know what a good locking diff kit would be for me....at the moment the entire drivetrain is stock, with 245 75R16s. Thanks!

For what it's worth, having lockers would not necessarily have helped you on the ice.

However, PowerTrax (by Richmond Gear) are excellent lockers with good road manners.

Comment

????

What motor, tranny, txfr case & axles do you have? are they all stock? If you have the NP249 case you may have issues with transfering power to front and rear and the sensing of whay does and doesn't have traction.

If you happen to have the aluminum rear end nobody makes a locker for it.

Dave, Hahn AB, der hunsruck, 76-79

Comment

gearing/rear end/axle stuff

yes, the whole underside (with the exception of the exhaust) is stock, so I am not sure what to look at, and what is compatable etc etc etc...when I was on the ice, my ....(remembering) front left and rear right? Tires were the only ones turning in 4hi or low....sliding on the ice backwards, and only 2 turning to go forwards,,,,,(BAAAD JUJU in the woods on a hill, at the time with no winch) I have since rectified the issue of no winch......and now carry salt and kitty litter in the winter as well....(not to mention simple avoidance)

Comment

Also try airing down your tires for a better footprint. Chains are handy and an easy/cheap traction device. You can alway buy an aussie locker.

Comment

If you have the 318/5.9 with the aluminum dana 44 you can kiss option for a locker good bye.

Comment

lockers?

how do I tell what my rear end is and what the components are?

Comment

LPD30/D35 (maybe D44a which is a bigger POS than the D35) but aussie now makes the D44A locker. if you have the 249 AWD case you can't use a front lunchbox you will HAVE to get a selectable or just get a 231 tcase and swap it in.
                Last edited by Mud_slinga; 02-13-2008, 06:27 PM.

Comment

And to be honest, a locker on ice is good for whipping donuts! Carrying the cat litter is good, some chains or cables are better for ice, but usually not worth the hassle unless you have to be on the road or are going through some of the passes out west that require them.

Don't get me wrong, lockers are great, I have Aussies in both axles, but driving on ice/slick roads with a locker,takes some getting used to and alot of driver skill. They are great for off road situations. HB

Comment

Originally posted by Mud_slinga View Post
                    LPD30/D35 (maybe D44a which is a bigger POS than the D35) but aussie now makes the D44A locker. if you have the 249 AWD case you can't use a front lunchbox you will HAVE to get a selectable or just get a 231 tcase and swap it in.
                    Yeah But! The instructions from Aussie require an open carrier. The d44HD in the GC came with a limited slip. All aussie would tell me is you gotta have an open carrier for it to fit. wonder how they did a "proof" istallation?

Dave

Comment

interesting, well a standard D44 carrier will fit I would imagine? I know the R&P is different though.

Comment

You do have to have an open carrier for it to fit because it completely replaces the spider gears.

Comment

Working...
                        X