X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8.8 In the grand

Has anybody out there swapped the 8.8 in the back of their grand cherokee? I just picked one up and will start getting it ready for the swap as I learn more about the ABS info and get money for it.

I have seen a few good links about the swap, but nothing that looks complete to me.

Does anybody know if TJ brackets will work for the grand cherokee? I still have an old TJ axle sitting in the backyard.

bracketry is the same, but the coil buckets are different. I am working on setting one up for my ZJ but since I have 10 million other things to do I have kinda let it sit in the back of the garage.

Comment

Yeah I noticed that the coil buckets are a little different, definately smaller and I heard that the grand buckets hold the spring differently too...

Have you heard anything with the ABS

Comment

the 8.8 uses ABS on the ring gear, you will need to setup sensor brackets and a tone ring on the outsides of the shafs.. If i remember right you need adapters, as the d35 tone ring is actually bigger than the 8.8 shaft.. something weird like that. if your swaping in a disc axle you might run into clearance issues, might have to remove the parking brake parts and get a driveline parking brake.

Comment

This is something I read about on mallcrawlin.com

"hey guys I got something more to add you can keep ABS with the 8.8!
          the Jeep system is 4 sensor but is still 3 hydraulic (front L&R and ONE rear)

I have done it myself on my brothers 90XJ with a 8.8 and the ABS does still work and will do it again on my ZJ. I was going to go the route of the tone rings on each wheel (like Z did) but that is a pain and costly once you get bushings for the 8.8 shafts since the OD area on the 8.8 shafts is smaller in that spot than the d35.

how I KEPT the ABS working on his XJ and will do the same on my ZJ:
          my ZJ tone rings are 54 tooth per side and the 8.8 has 108 teeth on the ring gear 54x2=108!
          his 90 XJ tone rings are 51 tooth but we decided to try it this way anyway. and later found out that the sensor does not count the teeth but just either sees a tooth or not.

I took the angle grinder and ground down EVERY OTHER TOOTH on the 8.8 ring gear tone ring making it 54 teeth.
          We then wired both the Jeep rear sensors together left and right reds together and the ford sensor red all together and then if I remember correctly the left and right Jeep wires were yellow and wire those to the other ford sensor wire.
          finished the install and bleed the brakes, then took it for a spin. the ABS light came on at startup like usual and then went off like usual! and didnt come back on as if there was a problem. I then slammed on the brakes and YES the ABS was STILL WORKING without the ABS light comming on! and it has worked perfectly since we finished the install 2 weeks ago and the 8.8 with disks is a real nice upgrade in braking. The 8.8 was installed b/c with his stroker it blew up the D35 (broken spider gears, chewed ring and pinion, bent the cross-shaft and more)

as far as I know I'm the first to be able to CONFIRM that this way works for sure. at least it did on his Bendix ABS brake system. I will later do this again on my ZJ when I find the right 8.8 with 4.10's in the yards.

I can't wait to get it running in my ZJ but I have not found a 8.8 with 4.10's in the cheap yards near me where I can get it COMPLETE for about $100 in great shape too. I figure since I'm doing the work myself I might be able to pull off the whole swap under $300 for sure, but it's the little things that can add up quick.....

here is a SUPER TECHNICAL wiring diagram I just made up for those that like pictures=)
          http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...technical8.jpg

Keep in mind I also ground off every other tooth on the 8.8 tone ring to equal 54 teeth. And this for sure works on a 90 XJ ABS system, and will test is out on my ZJ hopefully soon"

And the thread continues with how he had to cut off half the teeth gears on the tone ring.

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/sho...&highlight=8.8

Comment

This is also an idea for a site for coil spring buckets for the 8.8 swap, only $25 a bracket seems pretty good too...and reuse all the other brackets off the turdy-5

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/..._c_32-2-0.html

Comment

Ballistic makes good stuff. I would not recomend re using the stock brackets unless you have too. They aren't the strongest.

Comment

The other brackets should be easy enough to fab up or beef up, thats why I was kinda thinking of reusing them. I dont want to leave anything being the "weak link".

I just finished beefing up a bent broken front control arm bracket.

Thanks for the info!

Comment

nice, yeah my passy side UCA on the axle end up front is bent in like a wet taco.

Comment

Originally posted by lil ry ry View Post
                    This is something I read about on mallcrawlin.com

"hey guys I got something more to add you can keep ABS with the 8.8!
                    the Jeep system is 4 sensor but is still 3 hydraulic (front L&R and ONE rear)

I have done it myself on my brothers 90XJ with a 8.8 and the ABS does still work and will do it again on my ZJ. I was going to go the route of the tone rings on each wheel (like Z did) but that is a pain and costly once you get bushings for the 8.8 shafts since the OD area on the 8.8 shafts is smaller in that spot than the d35.

how I KEPT the ABS working on his XJ and will do the same on my ZJ:
                    my ZJ tone rings are 54 tooth per side and the 8.8 has 108 teeth on the ring gear 54x2=108!
                    his 90 XJ tone rings are 51 tooth but we decided to try it this way anyway. and later found out that the sensor does not count the teeth but just either sees a tooth or not.

I took the angle grinder and ground down EVERY OTHER TOOTH on the 8.8 ring gear tone ring making it 54 teeth.
                    We then wired both the Jeep rear sensors together left and right reds together and the ford sensor red all together and then if I remember correctly the left and right Jeep wires were yellow and wire those to the other ford sensor wire.
                    finished the install and bleed the brakes, then took it for a spin. the ABS light came on at startup like usual and then went off like usual! and didnt come back on as if there was a problem. I then slammed on the brakes and YES the ABS was STILL WORKING without the ABS light comming on! and it has worked perfectly since we finished the install 2 weeks ago and the 8.8 with disks is a real nice upgrade in braking. The 8.8 was installed b/c with his stroker it blew up the D35 (broken spider gears, chewed ring and pinion, bent the cross-shaft and more)

as far as I know I'm the first to be able to CONFIRM that this way works for sure. at least it did on his Bendix ABS brake system. I will later do this again on my ZJ when I find the right 8.8 with 4.10's in the yards.

I can't wait to get it running in my ZJ but I have not found a 8.8 with 4.10's in the cheap yards near me where I can get it COMPLETE for about $100 in great shape too. I figure since I'm doing the work myself I might be able to pull off the whole swap under $300 for sure, but it's the little things that can add up quick.....

here is a SUPER TECHNICAL wiring diagram I just made up for those that like pictures=)
                    http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...technical8.jpg

Keep in mind I also ground off every other tooth on the 8.8 tone ring to equal 54 teeth. And this for sure works on a 90 XJ ABS system, and will test is out on my ZJ hopefully soon"

And the thread continues with how he had to cut off half the teeth gears on the tone ring.

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/sho...&highlight=8.8
                    Ryan this is 8.8 gold if you can confirm that it'd work on a TJ. I don't have ABS to confirm notches on the tone ring, but if they're the same, maybe it would work with TJs as well. Someone needs to try this out. If it works, it NEEDS to be added to the 8.8 sticky on JU!

Comment

well a TJ and ZJ ABS should be the same??

Comment

Working on the axle right now, will let you know if the ABS trick works

Comment

Working...
                        X