X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calipers?!

I have a stock 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo as stated in my other post about floor jacks and stands. I am pretty sure I have the older, black, open style ATE calipers. It is now time for new brakes and rotors(Really past due lol) I have been racking my head over how to find what i need to upgrade these calipers and where to get the parts. Do I need any special mounts or anything? Do I just go into advance auto parts and buy new calipers that they say are a fit for my jeep? Thanks in advance!

~Kyle~

Calipers?

What makes you think you need new calipers? Unless your jeep is pulling one way or another during braking AFTER you replace the pads and rotors, you should not need new calipers. The calipers are not generally replaced on a brake job unless there is something wrong with them.

Comment

Hmmm

The original Teves ATE calipers warp rotors fast. They are bad. Why put brand new rotors on without putting in a non-faulty part? Starting 2002 Jeep started using Akebono calipers that are fully enclosed and don't warp the rotors. Am I wrong?

Comment

i think you just answered your own question. get the Akebono calipers and the whole outer knuckles if you have to. did the master cylinder part number change between those years?

Comment

Ok

So I got the kit from justforjeeps.com and my pads and rotors from autopartswarehouse for about 700$? Put them all in and they work amazing! Awsome! Thanks for the help everyone!

Comment

Working...
          X