Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New engine and new tranny leaking? WTF?

This previous August I had a remanufactured 4.0L engine along with a rebuilt transmission installed in my YJ.
    After a month I noticed a leak coming from the rear main seal. The leak had probably been there all along, judging by the amount of oil spots that are on my father's brand new driveway.
    My mechanic just replaced the rear main seal on 11/09/2005 and I already notice that there is still oil leaking. The leak is collecting at the lowest point on the front of the transmission case (Right behind the flywheel) .
    My Jeep has 31" tires on 15x8" rims. Realistically other people have put 33's, 35's, and larger tires on a stock 4.0L.

Before I go back to my mechanic, I need to know the probability that my tires are causing me to blow my rear main seal.

Never heard of tires putting stress through to the transmission. I've got 12k on 35's and theirs no leak on mine. But I'm interested if somebody has a different opinion.

Comment

The size of your tires isn't gonna make the seal leak. More likely the crank has a burr on it that's tearing up the seal.

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up. If anyone else has an opinion on this I would really love to hear it.
        I used to be a weekend warrior, but I lost some posts. WTH?

Comment

The likelyhood of it being your tires is pretty small. I suspect the problem may originate with whoever remanufactured your engine. If you hadnt already replaced the seal once my guess would have been either a bad (or wrong) seal or an improperly installed one. I'm just guessing (since I have no experience rebuilding Jeep engines) but If the crank was turned down it may need an undersized seal (just like undersized bearings) in order for the clearance to be right. Just a thought. Good luck getting it fixed.

Comment

Working...
          X