X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy power steering pump

The power steering pump in the wife's Libby has started making a wining noise first thing in the morning now that the temps have gotten colder. The fluid level is good and as soon as it warms up, the noise stops. If the temp is above freezing, no problem. It functions properly and the rack and pinion were replaced last summer. Other than the noise it isn't causing any problems. What should I be looking for? Unless there's a problem I don't know about I'm going to wait and see what happens, as long as it's safe to do so. This is on a 2003 Liberty.

I believe the pump is on its way out but It could last a long time yet. It will just gt louder and for longer. I've never had one go altogether all at once.

Comment

I've heard of Liberties making that wining noise. Not heard of a complete fail yet.

Comment

Yeah, it still works fine, no leaks. It just makes this noise that makes everyone look at you like it's going to blow up! Until it leaks or causes a safety problem I'll probably live with it until I can't stand the noise anymore.

Comment

You might want to try the Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak. http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...%20Stop%20Leak

It's more than a stop leak and helps extends the life of your pump. I've used it on two of my pumps that originally squealed constantly and it eliminated the squeal in one and drastically reduced the other. In my opinion it also added about another year life to the pumps.

I'm generally not much of one for additives, but IMO, this works.

Comment

Any news on the noisy pump?

Comment

It hasn't been as cold lately so not as much a problem. Put the Lucas stop leak in, helped a little. Works OK, doesn't leak. As long as it's safe we may as well drive it till it needs to be replaced. Got to get my money's worth!!!

Comment

Good to hear that the noise didn't get worse. I hold my fingers crossed that it will hold for a while.

Comment

I'm guessing that with the colder temps the p/s fluid is thicker so it doesn't flow as fast and causes a higher pressure than needed inside the pump?

Comment

Working...
                  X