X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exaust

hey i wanna get a new muffler on my xj it is too quiet i was thinking a flowmasters 40series muffler any body got any iother recomadations?

thanks
    Joel

I don't know about the Flowmasters, but judging from what you want,(louder), I wouldn't get the Gibson cat-backs. I've got 'em and they aren't very aggresive sounding...I am pleased with them, though.

Comment

I have a Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flow muffler and it pisses off old ladies when I am around.

Comment

Originally posted by dsarraf
        I have a Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flow muffler and it pisses off old ladies when I am around.
        You shouldn't be pissing anyone off with noise from your muffler. Wheelers get a bad enough rap with adding to it. With proper driving skills, most people really won't notice the loud pipes.

If your wanting a different muffler JUST to be disgustingly loud, then realize there is a tradeoff. When on the trail it is hard to hear someone outside the vehicle, it is hard to hear someone in the vehicle, it is hard to hear the CB. The only reason people will turn heads, is NOT in admiration, but disgust.

If you are installing a free flow exhaust, then increased noise is a part of that. Gibson has an excellent tone that offers great performance and an excellent tone for performance.

I have a Magnaflow and consider it entirely too loud. I don't like the sacrifice of not hearing other things when I need too. I drive as lightly as I can to keep the noise down for my benefit as well as others. I'm even giving consideration to going with a Gibson because it's about 10db lower in tone and won't loose any performance.

Get real, being cool is not about being disgusting, but having a decent rig that is balanced and will truely turn heads because you care.

Comment

Not to entirely disagree with you (I definitely see your points) but the hillbilly people here in the Western NC mountains love the loud pipes. If you've got a full-size pickup with a V8, you better have one-chambers or cherry bombs or the like, or you'll get laughed at...

Comment

Originally posted by renegadestang
            Not to entirely disagree with you (I definitely see your points) but the hillbilly people here in the Western NC mountains love the loud pipes. If you've got a full-size pickup with a V8, you better have one-chambers or cherry bombs or the like, or you'll get laughed at...
            Considering the source of the laughter, does it really matter? Let them laugh. Isn’t the performance of your rig that’s important.

If your vehicle is just a poser then I suppose it would matter, but then wouldn’t you have a moon visor and squirrel tail flying from your antenna?

I’m not a poser person and could give a rats a_s about impressing other people. What is most important is my rigs performance at the end of the day and not offending other people with my rig on or off road. After all, it is other people that make laws, enforce them and ultimately affect the way our sport is perceived.

How many times have you read a post about the law being picky about bumper height, fender width and I believe, PA is now enforcing muffler sound. Why did all this happen? Just think about it and I believe you will conclude your own answer.

Sorry, not trying to get off on a tangent.

Comment

in PA u can get noise citations. i use a dynomax super turbo cat-back and it kinda has a deep rumble to it and gets to a nice volume when u get on it. by all means if u want noise, get cherry bombs. *broooom crackely crack crack crackle naaaaaaa* <thats kinda what i think it sounds like, haha...

Comment

What's the matter you guys never heard a joke before? All I was saying that it is loud.

Comment

Exhaust

I run a Flowmaster street/strip muffler and cat for about 7 years. Its
                  a litttle loud but it is very apparent when I come up the street.I have
                  about 160,000 miles on it with know problems or rust.I paid $370.00 for
                  cat and muffler in 1997.

Comment

I have an idea ! dont use a muffler .

Comment

exaust reply

The 40 series is not really that loud. But it does have a nice mellow tone at idle. It is loud enough to be noticed when you mat the hammer though.
                      It is a great exaust on almost any vechical.
                      Good luck.

Comment

i run a hooker maxflow muffler. its not loud but has a really deep tone

Comment

Here's an idea for ya! Keep your original exhaust, cut a section out before the muffler, and install a bypass. I'm not sure the appropriate name, but basically, you've got a knob inside that you can pull, and whammo!, no more muffler!!! The emission guys will probably bust you with a mirror though.
                          Idea #2--I wish I could remember the name (Magnaflow Warlock, maybe....you D&D freaks are getting excited huh!), but on my old '87 200sx I had a muffler that had the reg. 3 chambers, but it had an insert that could be pulled and would give you 1 chamber. It was kinda cool and very legal, but, it was a bit of a pain to take the plug out after awhile.

Comment

Working...
                          X