X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In over my head

Well not yet. I just want to make sure I'm not.

I got my 73 up on jacks.

The dash, interior (such as it is) and the wiring out.

All the brake lines are off.

Roll cage is out.

I have in the shed:

a 80 something CJ-7 booster/mc
    a set of 76 knuckles with rotors spindles etc for dis brake conversion
    a cj power steering box.

Now what?

I will need to take the tub off to do the body work or it won't pass VA inpection.

I figure that running the brake lines will be a lot easier with the tub off.

So will the work on the front axle.

I may as well go ahead and run new stainless fuel lines.

POR 15 the frame.

Then drop the tub back on the frame

Does this sound reasonable? It's a little intimidating getting a vehicle into such a state of non-runningness.

has anyone done a shackle reversal on on intermediate? Seems like the best time to do it is with everything riught in front of you with no body to get in your way.

I would go for a tub off work. When I worked on my CJ I left the tub on the frame and had a hard time reaching some points properly and would never do it again, next time is definately a tub off thing... it's so much easier to work on all the lines... unless you don't have the space to store the tub ;o)

Comment

It will be much easier with the tub off. Make sure you're not pressed for time though on the work. Take your time now and get everything perfect. This is especially true with the frame. Take your time and prep the frame right before putting on the POR15. If you don't you'll be kicking yourself later when the POR15 starts peeling off. Take your time, do the work right, and you'll be much happier in the end.

This is from experience. I had to do my frame twice.

Comment

at one point i had a frame on jackstands in my garage with all the parts scattered around it. tub off is by far the easiest way to go (and in my opinion the best way). the other suggestion i would give you is install a 1" body lift when you put it back together. it makes cleaning it and working on it WAY easier for any future stuff you might do. plus you can put a little bigger tires on it if you want and it costs less than a suspension lift.

Comment

If you're going that far & considering a shackle reversal, you may consider upgrading to the wider YJ springs while you're at it.

Comment

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

I am amazed at the simplicity of the design.

They're just big 4WD go carts.

I love it.

Ok so this weekend the tub comes off. If I get in for the weekend that is.

Pics will follow...

Comment

Originally posted by EvilTwin v2
              If you're going that far & considering a shackle reversal, you may consider upgrading to the wider YJ springs while you're at it.
              I've been told by many that the shackle reversal will make a dramatic difference in the Jeeps road manners.

But as far as changing to YJ springs...

I dunno.

How hard is it to do?

Comment

reversal will help road manners, but mine is shackle up front and it drives great. yj springs are wider and on a yj frame, further out from the center. if you do yj springs or a shackle reversal, you might as well do them both.

Comment

Originally posted by LYKOS
                  I've been told by many that the shackle reversal will make a dramatic difference in the Jeeps road manners.

But as far as changing to YJ springs...

I dunno.

How hard is it to do?
                  In a shackle reversal, you're changing the spring hangers anyway, so you might as well upgrade to the larger hanger for the YJ springs. Were you planning on buying a kit for this or home fabricating? The obvious items you'll need are the spring hangers, shackle mounts, shackles, YJ leafs, u-bolt plates (for the wider YJ springs), u-bolts, bushings.

The advantage of the shackle reversal is that with a positive arched spring, as the spring compresses, it pushes the shackle outward. If the shackle is in the front, then the axle is being pushed toward the front which is going against whatever is causing the compression. With the shackle reversal, the axle moves rearward, instead of fighting against the obstacle, it moves in a more natural direction. This however is not the case with flat or negative arch springs. So, if you're going to do this, make sure that you are going with a spring with a positive arch.

Comment

Just something else to throw at ya.....I don't know how much lift your looking for, but I would suggest doing a spring-over-axle set up using stock YJ springs. You will gain about 5 inches of lift and with the flatter springs it makes a shackle reversal unnecessary. IMO The ride quality will be much improved both on and off road. Well worth the time and investment.

Comment

Another thing to consider with a shackle reversal is you might need a new driveshaft with more travel, since the axle is traveling back toward the t-case. JP magazine just had an article about shackle reversal-had some good info.

Comment

Working...
                      X