Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 258 smoking and oil comin out of dipstick??

Workin on my buddies 83 cj7 with the 258. At first he just noticed that it was smokin. Then upon further investigation, he noticed oil in his air filter, and oil coming out of the dipstick tube. I replaced the PCV but that didnt seem to fix it, still smokin and oil comin out of dipstick. I did notice that it had to much oil in it, would that be the culprit? Or are we more lookin at bad valve seats. Its only smokin during excelleration. He turned the jeep on its passenger side a while back and it sat on its side for about 2 hours he said before a tow truck came and flipped it back over. BTW, dont know if this would help, but its running the offenheiser intake with the eldebrock carb. Smoke smells more like fuel then unburnt oil. But its not distinct. Smoke is whitish when warmed up, but black at start up................any ideas?

Does the oil smell like fuel by any chance?

If it sat for a couple hours on its side, you could have had a lot of fuel drain into the oil. that would explain the high oil level.

Black smoke at startup could be an excessively rich mixture, but lets get the easy things out of the way first.

1. Complete oil change, fill to proper level. If you did get fuel in the oil, this will solve a lot of problems.

2. Nice long drive (it would be fun, what more reason do you need?) this will get things cleared out if it is all just residue from sitting on its side.

3. Double check the vacuum source in the PCV valve, and make sure the breather isn't plugged.

See if those help, others may have more ideas.

Comment

X2 on what Tracraym said. If this just started after the flop, chances are the crankcase is full of fuel/oil mixture.

Blowing the dipstick out is usually from to much oil in the case, or to much pressure build up.

If it was doing this before and is just getting worse, could be rings, valve guides, etc. Which means time for a rebuild.

Comment

Pushing oil thru the dipstick is caused by pressure in the oil pan caused by bad rings, plugged PVC, no vacuum on PVC, or plugged oil breather. Wouldn't be looking at the valves or seals.

My cousin was having issues with his YJ and I agreed to look at it. Motor was so filthy from the oil that was spewing out from everywhere that I had to clean the engine to work on it. Found a clean PVC, air cleaner full of oil and the main vacuum hose cracked behind the carb. Actually all the vacuum hoses were real hard. Common problem?

Comment

[QUOTE=Play400;278303]Pushing oil thru the dipstick is caused by pressure in the oil pan caused by bad rings, plugged PVC, no vacuum on PVC, or plugged oil breather. Wouldn't be looking at the valves or seals.

[/on QUOTE]

And also, as I've just learned the hard way, broken pistons.

Comment

My son had a CJ7 with a Clifford header, intake and Edelbrock carb. As I recall the smallest Edelbrock carb was 600CFM and was over fueling the engine. We removed the Edelbrock and replaced it with a Holley 390 CFM carb and it ended the overfueling problem.
            I'm also thinking a compression check would help diagnose yor problem also.

Comment

X 2 on the compression check , i bet you have 1 or more under 100 psi

Comment

Yep, bad rings Im assuming. low compression test on 3 cylinders. Pulling motor today and dropping a used motor I have sitting in the garage.(hes to cheap to rebuild) Oil smelled of gas, bad....had 7 quarts of oil/gas in it, is that to many?? lol thanks everyone for you help.

Comment

Originally posted by jeepdirtboy View Post
                  Yep, bad rings Im assuming. low compression test on 3 cylinders. Pulling motor today and dropping a used motor I have sitting in the garage.(hes to cheap to rebuild) Oil smelled of gas, bad....had 7 quarts of oil/gas in it, is that to many?? lol thanks everyone for you help.
                  Before I tore my 360 down, I performed a compression test on all 8 cylinders. I got between 130 & 155 psi on 7 and 0 on the 8th. Still had 4 broken pistons. Oil also smelled of gas.

Comment

Are you guys breaking the ring and ring lands or just pieces off the skirt? If your breaking lands and rings you have timing issues and the motor is pinging. Don't necessarily hear ping under load with unleaded.

Comment

Originally posted by Play400 View Post
                      Are you guys breaking the ring and ring lands or just pieces off the skirt? If your breaking lands and rings you have timing issues and the motor is pinging. Don't necessarily hear ping under load with unleaded.
                      In my case, someone else rebuilt the engine before I acquired it. I really believe the previous owner put the broken pistonss in thinking that the rings would take care of the excess blow-by. Wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X