X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exhaust sounds

So about a year ago I had my exhaust completely redone from the stock manifolds on my 304 all the way out. It was run as duals all the way out. The guys at the muffler shop installed two separate cats and two separate flowmaster mufflers. I expected to get a distinct sound change after the installation. Mostly the exhaust sounds mildly more "throaty" but not really any louder at all. At idle I hear the sounds from under the hood more than the exhaust even if I am standing at the rear of the jeep. Under acceleration I just don't get that gratifying V-8 sound from the exhaust. Is there something I can do about this now to increase the volume of the exhaust sound a bit? Do exhaust tips do anything? My pipes are just bent to a slight turn down at the ends of the pipes right now. What should have been done by the muffler shop from the start? I don't want something overly loud and obnoxious like the rice-burners... but I often hear some full size trucks with a nice tone coming from them... and I would like to have something more like that.

Do the cats reduce noise much? Somebody told me that I could take off the cats and clean the guts out of them and get a louder sound. In NC cats are required but I only have to have a "safety inspection" which also means that all original emissions equipment must be present... they wouldn't know that the cats were empty.

any help?

For Some Strange Reason..

Most of the time i have had my jeep inspected and emissions tested. they simply pulled me into the bay, asked me to jump out and enter the waiting room, while there they hooked up the "sniffer" and turned on and off the jeep.
    Basically I heard they are looking to see if the "Check Engine" light comes on.
    After about 15 mins the close up the jeep and pull it forward. beckoning me to return to my jeep and I can leave.

Now this is not to say you'll get the same treatment, But 85% of the time I'm there, there are other jeep guys/girls and they are held back for a bit longer. I spoke to this one CJ owner here in maryland at the time of testing. He always complained that he "Failed The Test" and not just this time but ever time he returns to the test center.

He never explained what was wrong just when I look back, he was still there..

Best advice I can give you, Don't voluntary any information, be kind and respectful of the inspectors and go early in the morning. The later it gets the more you'll have to deal with the inspectors temperament.

Comment

Well since gutting your cats would be a violation of the law, don't expect anyone on the forum (or especially at 4wd) to recommend that.

There have been discussions of this in the past in which individuals claimed that their vehicles ran fine with the cat as you described wanting to do. Personally, I wouldn't care to, if for no other reason than because "I would know" that I was in violation of the law.

Does that make me a goody-two-shoes? Or just someone that doesn't want to have to worry about some mechanic (or seeming friend) dropping a dime on me late one night?

Comment

Inspection is the least of my worries. Here in NC... a lot of the inspection shops (at least in my county) are still "good ole boy" shops. I'm not saying they are breaking any laws... I'm just saying they don't really look that closely when it comes anything other than the basics when it comes to safety inspection. They just make sure that the vehicle has functioning lights, brakes, horn, seatbelts, etc. Just making sure the vehicle is essentially road worthy and poses no serious injury risk to the driver and passengers or other people on the road. The only other part says that the vehicle "must have all of the original emissions eqiupment in place". Doesn't even say that the emissions stuff has to work... just that it has to be on the vehicle. Emission tests are only done on vehicles from 1995 and newer in my county. And in those cases they do spend a bit more time on the those cars and make sure they are as they should be. In that this is an '83... emissions is not even close to a concern... and for that matter the jeep actually has a '76 motor which has even less emissions control than the stock engine that was in it. Most of the time these guys have no clue what they are even looking at when they open the hood. The last time my jeep was inspected (two weeks ago) the little high school kid working there called it an "aftermarket" motor...

Honestly I am unlikely to do much of anything at this point. Especially to a perfectly good exhaust system that cost me a bit of money to get installed and is barely a year old. Mostly I am just wondering why my exhaust sounds weaker than I expected. I expected the flowmasters to be louder and deeper in tone. Wasn't sure if the exhaust tips did anything or not. And if it was true that an empty cat would make a difference in the sound (or if this was some B.S. that a friend was telling me). Like I said... mostly just curious and trying to learn something for the next go around. This is all part of my "continuing education" in all things car related.

Comment

Ditch the mufflers they put on and get either some TurboThrush or Magnaflow mufflers.
          The cats won't make a diff in the shound, it's an old mind-set that they restrict the exhaust too much. The old ones from the early to mid '80's may have, but the newer ones are fine...and they do a specific job that needs to be done.
          It's the mufflers that resonate the sound to either make it quiet or give it that rumble you want. I had a pair of Turbothrush's on my old Bronco and it was sweet. Magnaflow has the market on tough, affordable 'sound-great' mufflers these days. You can still get SuperTrapps too. Look thru a performance catalog like Summit or Jegs. Lotsa cool stuff with pretty universal applications. Just measure what you got and the pipe diameter and find one that will fit.

(the new stuff sounds even better than burnt-out cherrybombs IMHO).

Comment

I run a flow master through a single outlet via Edelbrock headers. The sound in a nice V8 sound. the only thing different you are doing besides the dual is the manifolds.
            ditto on the cats they aren't the problem.

Comment

If you're going to shops run by ignorant people who are breaking the law, then cutting off the cats obviously isn't gonna get you in trouble. I still wouldn't do it though. Modern cats are flow through designs, and restrict flow very little.

My thinking is that you've got maybe 3 chamber flo's on there. Try 2 chamber or single chambers, that'll up the sound quite a bit, and you'll get a louder, throatier but still very mellow sound. Also, not sure if this was just a placebo for me, but I got a larger pipe tip welded on, a stainless steel angle cut one, and I think it helped to amplify the sound.

Comment

yea, i too live in NC.

the mechanics story around here is true, at least where i live. its sad to say, but i found out if i WANTED, not that i am doing it or recommend this information for anyone else, that if i paid cash on the spot, i could have any setup i wanted on my 304 (cats or not..or muffler only) and it pass with flying colours.

but otherwise, if you want that tough sound of a v8 id recommend magnaflow. the larger the diameter the more exhaust that can be disapated at once, increasing horsepower

rednecks run the smaller size diameter exhaust, as it gives that crack sound, but im gonna run 2 inch dual into cats and then into magnaflows and then run to the inside/middle to clear the traction bar

the reason im running magnaflows is because im not much for the throat sound as i am the beastly sound

ive got a youtube vid i can send of a magnaflow exhaust if you would like.

-matt

Comment

Originally posted by .:Matt:.

ive got a youtube vid i can send of a magnaflow exhaust if you would like.

-matt

post up the video!!!!!!

Comment

Which Flow's do you have? 40-series? 50-series? That'll make a lot of difference in the sound. Also, a set of headers can make all the difference in the world.

Comment

Jeff,

Echo tips do make quite a bit of a diffrence. I would recommend atleast 18-24 inch echo tips that are atleast an inch larger in diameter than your exhaust pipe. These will keep the deep throaty sound. If you want the louder sound then go with something shorter. If sound is all your looking for, this will do the trick with the least amount of money. Headers are good too but they are expensive. If the tips dont work your only out 80-100 bucks. I dont think the Flowmasters are your problem. I have run them on every truck i have ever owned and will continue to do so until they give me a reason not to. If you do decide to go with the tips, you can have the muffler shop "tune" them. The way to do this is with the engine running, slide the echo tips over the exhaust pipe until the desired sound is achieved. This will tell you how much pipe to leave in the tips.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g6Q54kBAQU

thats the video, its a 2004 GTO with, i will say this twice, NO CATS.

i e-mailed this guy to find out what exact model mag's he is using, he replied that he was stuck between 2 models, the stainless steel high dollar ones, and those.

the ones in that vid are the aluminized steel, 4x9 oval model. $79 a piece vs the stainless' $110 a pop.

enjoy =]

Comment

Dude...have a little patience. It may pay off. Any exhaust work I've ever done gets louder as you break it in...

Comment

Working...
                          X