X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scout D44 in a CJ7 ?

Okay, I'm unfamiliar with the Scout axles, but I'm planning on having a Scout D44 front axle installed in my '86 CJ7.

If I wish to upgrade the axle shafts, are there any special specs I need to know about? Who/where do ya'll recommend for aftermarket Scout shafts for a CJ7? Thanks for your patience.

i feel kinda bad no-ones replied. but i can try to help some.

you will need to know the spline count of the axles in there, and the spline count of the beefcake axles your wanting to put in there.

the scout axles' knuckles are not turned. as FUBAR taught me a while back, jeeps like about 6 degrees on the knuckles.

theres inner and outter axle shafts, so of course its recommended to replace the u-joints while your at it with new bushings and such.

im pretty sure there isnt any bolt pattern issues with redrilling. you should be fine there.

a great place to start would be our host. warn inner/outter axles are nice but high in price. im sure there is a kit that exists for the scout/scout IIs.

there is a topic in here that gryphon replied too that has TONNNS of links for scout and dana44 swaps. ill try to find the link but theres been 4 months of posting since then. i believe the topic was called dana 44 swap.

another place is tellico4x4.com, they are more local for NC guys but ship anywhere and every order i have had has been awsome.

that should set you on your way, take care.

-matt

Comment

I'd recommend using a Grand Wagoneer d44 front instead. If you are sua, if your going soa use a Chevy. The waggy diff can be cut down 4" on the long side and bolted into your cj. (this will result in a very close to factory wide track cj width, IIRC plus 3/4") A friend of mine has one already cut down and the axle shortened for sale, he goes by UPJ Wheeler on here.

http://forums.4wd.com/forums/member.php?u=6012

If you want to use your CJ's outter knuckles they will bolt on using scout outter axle shafts, but most prefer to use ford hubs and rotors to goto internal splined hubs and the 5 bolt cj bolt pattern. If you dont cut down the axle you will have to out board your springs, this holds true for the scout or the waggy or the chevy 44's. Google d44 front swp and tons of pages come up. A guy shows you how to narrow a waggy 44 at home.
      Last edited by highlandercj-7; 11-21-2007, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X