X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• an even more unusual noise...

Guys, I have a mysterious noise maker in my 304. I noticed it when I took the top off. (I might have been able to notice it sooner except I’m half deaf from twenty-seven years in a power plant and more years of Lynyrd Skynyrd.) It’s in the passenger side exhaust. When I’m sitting at idle there is an intermittent soft ‘pop’, ‘pop’ sound that almost has a metallic note to it. The motor runs well with no skip that I can ‘feel’. The sound at this point is purely an audible aggravation but it has me with that, ‘Man, that don’t sound too good,’ feeling. Any suggestions/ideas? All ignition components are new and not too many miles on a new set of plugs. Plus, like I said, I can’t ‘feel’ anything, I can only hear it. Oh, one more thing, it seems more prevalent when the motor is cold but it does it when its fully warmed up as well. Thanks for any help, fellahs. Is this a valve announcing its impending death? She has a LOT of miles on her and burns a considerable amount of oil mostly on that side.

FUBAR… I would have SEARCHED but I didn’t know how to put in the ‘pop pop’ sound…

hmm, maybe a lil adjustment to the exhaust valve lash would help?

Comment

I am no mechanic, so i took my "tick, tick, tick" sound to my trusted mechanic. i thought it was a valve or rod in my 304 too....it turned out to be a leak in my header gasket. i got some aluminum gaskets and the sound is gone.

brother i pray that that is all that is wrong with your ride.

Comment

I knew it...

Originally posted by oxcj5
        ...i took my "tick, tick, tick" sound to my trusted mechanic.
        brother i pray that that is all that is wrong with your ride.
        Ox, it's not a 'tick, tick, tick'... it's a 'pop, pop, pop'...LOL And thanks for the prayer. God knows I NEED one... or TWO.

1980, why do you think it might be an exhaust valve? Have you had trouble with this before?

Comment

How about doing a compression test first?

Comment

after high gassing it in idle, does the sound become more prevalent as it's idling down?

Comment

Originally posted by blackwater
              Ox, it's not a 'tick, tick, tick'... it's a 'pop, pop, pop'...LOL And thanks for the prayer. God knows I NEED one... or TWO.

1980, why do you think it might be an exhaust valve? Have you had trouble with this before?
              no, but if it is not closing tightly, you could be hearing a pop. or so I have been told.....

Comment

Uh-oh...

Originally posted by John Strenk
                How about doing a compression test first?
                You know, I was afraid to even ask about this innocent sounding little noise. John, what do you 'think' it might be?

Comment

Blackwater you're the guy here who usually has the excellent advice for anybody with electrical problems, so I say this with complete humbleness, but have you checked for a spark leak from a plug wire? I say this because once, many years ago, I had a 'pop' type sound coming from my 86 258. I looked all over for the source and could never find anything. Drove me nuts. Then one evening, just as it was getting dark, I was going out and decided to check the oil first. I lifted the hood before I turned the engine off and and I saw a tiny light flash, and the spark was leaking out of the bottom of a 1 month old plug wire, jumping to something metal. It wasn't causing any noticeable miss in the engine, and it couldn't be seen in the daylight, but it sure was the source of my poping sound! And it didn't have that electrical 'pop' sound--I think because it was making the bracket, or whatever it was shorting to, ring a bit. Ever since then I've gotten in the habit of every now and then lifting my hood in the dark just to see if anything electric is jumping around. Just a thought.

Comment

Thanks...

Jeepstir, thanks much for the key time, man. And your suggestion is an excellent one. However, the little 'pop' is definitely coming from the exhaust on the passenger side. One of the guys pm'd with the theory that at low rpm my 'Prestocrap' ignition might be causing this. (Which is also an excellent suggestion/theory.) I have also read that the coil can do some pretty funky stuff before it quits altogether. You just never know with these 'old' animals do you?

I've decided to do what I normally do in situations like this. Drive it until it gets so bad there is no mistaking the source of the trouble...

Thanks to the rest of you guys, too.

Comment

You just never know with these 'old' animals do you?
                      You said it!! Isn't that one of the reasons we have them in the first place?

I've decided to do what I normally do in situations like this. Drive it until it gets so bad there is no mistaking the source of the trouble...
                      I often use the same method you do. Wait till it breaks. Just hope it doesn't leave you in a bad spot. I guess it's happened to all of us though. When you figure it out do a follow up? Best of luck to you Blackwater!

Comment

Blackwater - You might try checking your ignition timing. By your description it sounds like it may be a little too far advanced. Probably not enough to exhibit any hot start problems but just enough to make the noise you describe.

BTW - I can relate to the Lynyrd Skynyrd comment.

Comment

Hey blackwater,
                          Myrtle's playing tricks on you?
                          As John said, I'd check compression first.
                          My old 304 made several different noises when I got it, burned, not completely closing valves (nice sound) and missfires as well and a burned piston that had compressed air through down to the crank...
                          But as said, check compression and valve and ignition timing.
                          We can still rebuilt your engine, did it once, would be pleased to help you there, I still have some vacation time in fall

Comment

Thanks again, guys...

I'm pretty sure a compression check would confirm some dark suspicions. I really do appreciate the help, fellahs. Toralf, that's a HECK of an offer. I'll see if the scrawny little piggy bank reserved for Myrtle can get its own timing right. Xlr8n, you might be right about the timing. I've never had a light on it. I always do it by 'ear'. Sort of crazy after the half-deaf admission, huh?

Comment

I'm pretty sure a compression check would confirm some dark suspicions. I really do appreciate the help, fellahs. Toralf, that's a HECK of an offer. I'll see if the scrawny little piggy bank reserved for Myrtle can get its own timing right. Xlr8n, you might be right about the timing. I've never had a light on it. I always do it by 'ear'. Sort of crazy after the half-deaf admission, huh?

Blackwater, with your hearing aid you better use some help
                              Well, I really meant what I said, would be my pleasure to help you out. Just let me know some time before, have to shift shifts and arrange some stuff and get tickets. And buy some good German beer for you

Comment

Working...
                              X