• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tough question
    If I started over I'd
    Get a 98 with a blown motor
    Yank engine tranny and transfer out
    Get a 4.3 , 700r4 and np231 out of a GM. or GMC. S10 or S15 4x4 truck or Blazer.
    Bolt the np231 to my stock skid plate and work the rest in the engine bay.
    Till recently that was my plan for my 99 4 cyl.

Then I bought a Screaming Demon coil.
    WOW
    My Modes to the 2.5 are
    Open ended cone K and N filter
    Turbo city Jet hot coated intake tube
    2 inch nonmetallic T.B. spacer
    4.0. {not honed out] T.B.
    Platinum plus 4's
    Shaved head
    Pacesetter header
    Flow-master 40
    180 degree thermostat
    Electric fan
    She screams between 2300 and 4000 rpm's
    I still need a line on some 8 mm wires
    I want some bigger injectors
    But even with 36's { and 4:88's of course}
    She is fun to drive.
    MPG well 15 Just don't tell anybody
    Last edited by Ghostjeeper; 09-24-2005, 05:50 PM.

Comment

If I was a new Jeepy looking for a trail mostly rig or at least capable. There are some bargains on Ebay. My family is a bunch of jeepers and brothers getting out of college about ready to get some money. I tell them to search ebay, there was some serious awesome 7k crawlers with dana 60's, lockers, tubular bodies. Perfect for the starting Jeepr. My moms 92 would take 7k just to make it interesting. Thats my advice for new Jeepers looking to trail.

4cyl vs 6cyl. I don't even understand that there is an argument for 4cyl better for offroading or anything. 4cyls are to save upfront money. The reason 4cylinders are the only Jeeps for sale in used lots are because they wear on you, they don't have umph to go up a hile or accelerate. Simple fact of buying anything with a 4cylinder. Sure you can over rev a 4cylinder and do 90, you can do that with anything. I'm sure a 4cyl can keep up in 4low, fine...make that a maybe. Go 6cylinder and never regret it, nothing like spending money on a car and wishing you bought the next class up.

Comment

Originally posted by NMJeeper
        If I was a new Jeepy looking for a trail mostly rig or at least capable. There are some bargains on Ebay. My family is a bunch of jeepers and brothers getting out of college about ready to get some money. I tell them to search ebay, there was some serious awesome 7k crawlers with dana 60's, lockers, tubular bodies. Perfect for the starting Jeepr. My moms 92 would take 7k just to make it interesting. Thats my advice for new Jeepers looking to trail.

4cyl vs 6cyl. I don't even understand that there is an argument for 4cyl better for offroading or anything. 4cyls are to save upfront money. The reason 4cylinders are the only Jeeps for sale in used lots are because they wear on you, they don't have umph to go up a hile or accelerate. Simple fact of buying anything with a 4cylinder. Sure you can over rev a 4cylinder and do 90, you can do that with anything. I'm sure a 4cyl can keep up in 4low, fine...make that a maybe. Go 6cylinder and never regret it, nothing like spending money on a car and wishing you bought the next class up.

Sorry dude but I have to wholeheartly disagree with you.

There is 2 schools of thought that builders go by.
        1 There is no replacement for displacement.
        2nd Light is right.
        If you don't believe #2 climb a steep hill, then put on a back pack full of rocks and climb the same hill.
        There is also a lot to be said about balance, front to rear.
        There is also another reason to buy a 4 banger. Planning later to ran a small block or a v6.
        Just my 2 cents.
        Bottom for the last 5 years this little puppy has worked for me.
        And yes I've owned other Jeeps with I6's and v6's o and 1 v8
        These days though I aways keep a DD. With a v6

Comment

Originally posted by NMJeeper

I know I'm new and all but I must disagree
          Reason to own a 4banger
          1 Building to the concept that Light is Right. If this did not work there would be no rock buggies competing with4 cylinders
          2Planning later to up grade to a v8 or v6
          And despite what you might think Ive been on many rides down here in L.A. that's Lower Alabama. Where 2 Jeeps set up almost the same where the 6 banger was left at the bottom of a wet slick red clay hill climb.
          The reason
          Trying climbing a slick hill with good shoes on then climb the same hill with a 200 pound back pack.
          And before you ask, yes I've owned rigs with 6's and 8's
          I'll stay with the 4
          Fun to drive, lightweight and in the yard while I work. I keep a DD

Comment

Get the 6lit 4.0 I have a friend that has a cherokee auto 4.0. Seems like it always had a great passing gear no matter what speed. I bought TJ 4.0 5spd. I never get rid of it, anything ever breaks i'll fix it and back on the trail I go.

Comment

Working...
            X