X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YJ Rear shocks

I would like to thank everyone for all of the great advice for all of my posts.

Well I have stumbled onto another very interesting problem on my 93 YJ. I have decided to replace the shocks due to the fact that as near as I can tell these shocks have 167 thousand on them, unfortunalty I have only put about a thousand miles on them. Well I started to poke around under there to form a game plan for this weekends project and I checked out the rear mounts on the shocks. The top mounting studs look to be completely rusted together and the nut holding the shock on does not appear to have any ridges left on it for a wrench to grab. I am going to hit them with liquid wrench in the morning but I do not think I can get the shock off without taking the mounting stud with it. What I need to know is are those mounts for sale anywhere or amy hints that may be out there that will help. The upper mounts appear to be welded right to the frame and it would not be good if I bust them off.

I was on 4WD's Web sit earlier today and I found something called JKS Shock Conversion For YJ and XJ. I was wondering if any of you have used this in the past and more than that what it is exactly. I am just trying to figure out if this is an option or not

Thanks again for all of the help in the past.
    Last edited by sparky79862; 06-21-2005, 11:51 PM.

The nut size is 3/4" if it is the stock one. Make sure to use a 6pt socket. Worse comes to worse, use a lot of heat on the nut - will make the nut come off much easier! Then you can get another standrad 1/2"x20 fine thread nut to use. Will probably have to get new bushing for the shock, but new shocks come with them. Use white lithum so they don't squeak, plus it makes pressing in the bushings easier.

Comment

The nut deos not worry me that as much, I am worried about the mounting stud. I think that it will break off. Is there anything out there that I can use if I snap one of those off? I was looking at the threads on the end of the stud it does not appear ti have any left at all.

Comment

yes you can get replacements but you would have to grind your old ones off and weld on new ones...try some PB Blaster for a few days let it soak good then try and take a pair of vise grips a big pair and loosen it that way. but I would just grind those suckers off and weld on new ones, save yourself alot of headache in the end. you could get stock replacements but I would get some ford towers and weld them on so you could use long travle shocks the PN I think is E5TZ-18183A I believe the guy said they were around 12 bucks from teh stealership. as far as the shock conversions yes I have them it converts the front so instead of using a stud style shock you can get shocks that are meant for the rear of your jeep, stud style shocks only go but so long the rear style ones you can get in about any length. again the ford shock towers would allow for a longer travle shock
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...p/S4020823.jpg
        you can see it on the shock tower there
        you can see it better in this pic
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...p/S4020747.jpg

Comment

If it breaks, who cares? Get a BFH, hammer the stud out, and use a bolt/nut combo. You'll just have to use a wrench/ratchet combo to tighten it. No big deal.

Comment

get a nut buster and break the nut off. just slip it over the nut and turn the cutter till the nut breaks off. alot easier than having to weld new parts on.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the help. I have one last question about the rear shocks. What size bolt will fit throught the hole. That way I can go to NAPA and buy the bolts. This will ensure the fact that there will be no problems in the removal and instalation of the new shocks. Thanks again

Comment

Stock is 1/2"x20 fine thread, but you can use 1/2x13 course just fine too, but you'll just need new nuts for the bolts.

Comment

Working...
                X