X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power steering box upgrade

My stock steering box has bit the dust and i plan on upgrading to a 98/99 4wd Durango or Dakota box. Is there a difference between the two, because the Durango box is significantly more expensive so i am confused on which one to get. Also, i have been using a drop pitman arm and am wondering with the new box if i should continue using it, because i have read it causes problems with this size lift, or use the original one. I have a 3" teraflex lift and 33's.

thanks

I can't answer your question but why are you getting a different box? You shouldn't be having that much of a steering problem with 33s. When mine broke I went to Napa and got a replacement one with a lifetime warranty. With running a front locker mine will start acting up about every 2 to 3 years and I just bring it back to Napa with the reciept and they give me a new one for free. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

1: you dont' need a drop pitman arm on a 3" lift for tj's unless you drop the trackbar as well.

2: dakota and durango boxes are nearly the same (by looks of it) but i can't verify on the internals. I have a dakota box on now that i got for $75 on ebay. There's a guy that sells em THAT cheap. It handles my 33's MUCH better than my stock box did.

Comment

what kind of modifications are required to switch the box's? is it pretty much bolt up or more complicated than that?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeves
          i plan on upgrading to a 98/99 4wd Durango or Dakota box.
          While this link is for the XJ, it'll give you some answers and ideas. Lots of pics.

Hope it helps

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...hlight=durango

Comment

Originally posted by fourwheelin49r
            what kind of modifications are required to switch the box's? is it pretty much bolt up or more complicated than that?
            Durango, Dakota, J-20 and Waggy boxes are pretty much bolt on. Ask me how I know this right now.

Comment

Bolt-in. No modifications whatsoever. I did my swap in 30 minutes. There are issues with the durango/dakota boxes not compatable with certain steering box skids though.

Comment

Price for durango box

Muddeprived what kind of price did you give for you durango/dakota box. And do you have a good write up for swaping these out??

Comment

For swapping my steering box I used a write up from Stu's Offroad. It had lots of pictures and it was a pretty simple job. AFTER you get off the drop pitman arm.

Comment

On your 03, it is not a bolt on option. The 03 to 06 have different steering boxes. I will be doing a PCS Motoersports steering box replacement this weekend on my 06.

Comment

Originally posted by xtrm tj
                      Muddeprived what kind of price did you give for you durango/dakota box. And do you have a good write up for swaping these out??
                      http://www.stu-offroad.com/steering/.../gearbox-1.htm
                      I followed that write-up.

The box was listed for $75 on ebay by a junkyard dealer. It had 39k miles on it from a 99 dakota. There's not much to it really. The 3 main bolts on the side hold the box on, and there are two power steering lines that you have to disonnect. You also gotta disonnect the steering shaft from the box. Once those are off, it falls right out. You'll need a pitman arm remover too.

Comment

Working...
                      X