Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it boiling over? Or is the gauge saying that it's hot? Maybe the gauge is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by steady.foot View Post
      Is it boiling over? Or is the gauge saying that it's hot? Maybe the gauge is wrong.
      yes It boiled over a few times when it got hot quite a bit thats when i put a new cap on now it still gets hot but only trickles out of the overflow when it gets hot.

Comment

Oh and yes the thermostats both were new when i changed them out. The thermostat was the first thing i thought to check.

Comment

This is going to sound totally odd, but pull your plugs and check them out. This will tell you a few things: glazing can tell you if your engine's internal temps are way too hot, grey deposits can show a lean condition that will just make the overheating worse. Try backing off on the timing a degree or two and adjust the carb a little rich...not black smoke-blowing rich, just a bit more than where it is now, IF it is running lean.

If your hoses and belts are good, your thermostats are good (test it in boiling water anyway. I've seen new stats fail out of the box) the pump is good, you have a full radiator and all looks good, I'd get the radiator checked out.

Another thought: do you have anything blocking your grill? Lights, winch, whatever? Forgotten sheet of cardboard to help keep it warm in the winter? How about your fan? Do you have a shroud? Does your fan clutch work? If that fails, the fan can just spin unpowered and not generate enough flow to cool the radiator.

Comment

Gryphon says it all, I'd check it right that way.
            My CJ recently acted strangely, showing overheating after a short time, the gauge went down to almost cold and after a while no matter if under load or not going up high again. Checked everything, there was enough water in the system, enough coolant in the mixture, no thermostat at all, no pressure in the system. The next time it acted up and showe doverheating after two miles after a cold start I stopped and handchecked all components, I could easily touch the hoses and the radiator, they were warm but way from being hot. The sending unit was new... so I replaced the sending unit with the old one and put a used gauge in, everything is fine since...

Comment

I've checked the plugs when i did the compression test looking for a blown head gasket and they where a nice tanish color telling me the carb seems to be set right. When i reset the timing back to 9 degres atdc it was two degrees slow. I'm boiling out the radiator there was alot of white build up on the top of the tubes and very brown inside. So hopefully after they boil it out and flow test and pressure test it it will be good. when I got the radiator out there was alot of brown coolant in the bottom, even after flushing the systuim out withe the stuff you can get at auto zone. I plan on reflushing the systuim when i get the radiator back in. But I will keep an eye on the fuel mixture and the timing if it still overheats. But if it still overheats I'm afraid it will be a blown head gasket that only shows up after it heats up expanding the crack or a cracked head or block. We'll find out when i get the radiator back and put in.

Comment

Well I've had to radiator boiled out. System is flushed out to where there is clear water coming out. New water pump new hoses new thermostat new fan shroud new cap new belts tighed belt properly. Still overheating. Now what????!!!!???? Can a wrapped head cause this overheating? This overheating only happens on the interstate after 10 miles more or less. I checked the compression they are cyclinder 1. 120 2. 125 3. 135 4. 135 5. 135 6. 130. Everything seems to check out good. Have not put new sending unit in manifold. But when it gets hot, I quit sure it is hot. Losted and puzzled in Missouri!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone help out of ideas.

Comment

plugged heater core perhaps? just a shot in the dark but....

Comment

Originally posted by the Captain View Post
                    plugged heater core perhaps? just a shot in the dark but....
                    I thought about that to but I've been useing the heater to cool it down enought to get her home. And I have flushed the system out with store bought flush twice and flushed the system out till clear water finiely can out. How would a person go about putting a 3 core radiator in? It has a 2 core now. But as of now a don't think theres enough room bettween the fan and the shroud to cram a 3 core into the front. I have a whinch in front but at slowers speeds crusing around the back roads and town it doesn't overheat just the interstate? There seems to be pleanty of air flow though the radiator. I'm tring now to run without a thremostat in for free flow. Haven't ran it on the interstate yet. but i'm just out of ideas. Now i know its been 95 plus out side but it overheated in 75 degree weather also.

Comment

I've also checked the thermostat in hot water on the stove and it opens up at the temp range a even thought of using a thremomiter in the watet to see what temp it opened up at and at 165 a 160 opened up just fine. Lossssttt!!!!

Comment

lets put your two problems together here. you have an overheating problem and you have oil flowing out of the dipstick tube. sorry to have just noticed that these problems were both yours and sorry again for what you are about to read. you have a bad engine, no doubt about it. your compression readings may be fine but you have a cracked block which, under a load i presume, is over pressurizing your crankcase and causing your problems. the good news is that Jeep engines can be had for cheap, and are easy to swap out. good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by the Captain View Post
                          lets put your two problems together here. you have an overheating problem and you have oil flowing out of the dipstick tube. sorry to have just noticed that these problems were both yours and sorry again for what you are about to read. you have a bad engine, no doubt about it. your compression readings may be fine but you have a cracked block which, under a load i presume, is over pressurizing your crankcase and causing your problems. the good news is that Jeep engines can be had for cheap, and are easy to swap out. good luck!
                          I was thinking about that but was hoping and praying that that wasn't it! So I guess a new block and rebuilt are in order.

Comment

Originally posted by 86cj7 View Post
                            I was thinking about that but was hoping and praying that that wasn't it! So I guess a new block and rebuilt are in order.
                            How would I go about testing the block for a crack when there isn't any water in the oil, no bubbles coming up into the cooling system, the compression is good? Is there something I'm missing?! Your help would be appercated.

Comment

could it be the chinese?

Originally posted by oss View Post
                              . . . if the lower hose gets soft it can collapse (pinch off flow).
                              Before you go pulling the motor check the lower hose again. You say this is happening at highway speed when coolant flow is maximized. Myrtle has a spring in her lower hose to keep it from collapsing. If it wasn't running hot before you changed everything, then perhaps you built the problem in accidentally with some cheap chinese rubber.

Comment

Originally posted by blackwater View Post
                                Before you go pulling the motor check the lower hose again. You say this is happening at highway speed when coolant flow is maximized. Myrtle has a spring in her lower hose to keep it from collapsing. If it wasn't running hot before you changed everything, then perhaps you built the problem in accidentally with some cheap chinese rubber.
                                Yeah I never thought about it! I"ll have to check it out next time it runs hot and see it the hose is piched off!

Comment

Working...
                                X