X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suspension clunk

i installed a 4 in rough country lift about a week or so ago. everything looks good. i had a steering wheel shake when i hit big bumps. i did the searches on the forum and came up with death wobble. i checked all of the suspension components. Re tightened everything. Nothing but the track rod relocation bracket needed tightened. I tightened it and the wobble seems to have gone away. I still have a clunk when i hit bumps. I have no idea what it is. I have checked the ball joints, shocks, lug nuts, traction bars, and the steering stabilizer seems to be ok. Any suggestions????

Sounds like the bar pins on the shocks may be hitting. Have you checked them out? If that's the problem, it is an easy fix. Just add bar pin eliminators. Good luck!

Comment

i had this in the rear end of my wrangler after i did the 4" superlift. my issue was the shocks were walking off the bushings. so instead of spending the $$ on the bar eliminators, i cut a good size washer in half and welded it to the bar. quick, easy, cheap fix..

Comment

Originally posted by shall5979
        i installed a 4 in rough country lift about a week or so ago. everything looks good. i had a steering wheel shake when i hit big bumps. i did the searches on the forum and came up with death wobble. i checked all of the suspension components. Re tightened everything. Nothing but the track rod relocation bracket needed tightened. I tightened it and the wobble seems to have gone away. I still have a clunk when i hit bumps. I have no idea what it is. I have checked the ball joints, shocks, lug nuts, traction bars, and the steering stabilizer seems to be ok. Any suggestions????
        Are you running the factory sway bar links? If not, does your sway bar consist of a ball-in-socket type joint? These are known to fail on tj sway bars and "clunk" like you said.

Also check your rear trackbar to see if it's hitting the gas tank.

Comment

Originally posted by muddeprived
          Also check your rear trackbar to see if it's hitting the gas tank.
          X2
          Thats what mine did with the rough country lift

Comment

my shimmy is back. i havent driven the jeep for a few weeks. drove it today and the wheel shimmy is back when i hit bumps. I have checked all the front suspension parts for tightness and everything is tight. It is only the right front wheel that is doing it. it is driving me crazy.

Comment

had any recent alignment and tire balance?

Comment

I would definitely get your jeep aligned if you haven't... a good alignment can go a long way to eliminate death wobble. How parallel is your steering ?? I can only assume that the clunk is coming from the front of the jeep? does it do it just over bumps? when you turn? as much information that you can give the people here the better.

Comment

I just installed a cheap 2" spacer lift and as I was installing it, I found a broken front sway bar link. It clunks when I turn, hit a bump, etc...I ordered a new stock sized set and just waiting for them to arrive.....BUT I do have some vibrating/knocking going on in the shifter region that I cant figure out. Its an automatic trans and it only does it at low speeds and take off.??? I am lowering the transfer case this weekend but I really dont think its that....Anyone experience this?

Comment

Originally posted by 2kheep
                    I just installed a cheap 2" spacer lift and as I was installing it, I found a broken front sway bar link. It clunks when I turn, hit a bump, etc...I ordered a new stock sized set and just waiting for them to arrive.....BUT I do have some vibrating/knocking going on in the shifter region that I cant figure out. Its an automatic trans and it only does it at low speeds and take off.??? I am lowering the transfer case this weekend but I really dont think its that....Anyone experience this?
                    Should've used that $$ for aftermarket sway bar links. The factory ones will just break again.

The clunk is more likely your transfer case shift lever. It's very common on tj's and it's harmless, but annoying. Mine did it for years. You can buy a replacement kit that replaces that particular part if you want. Or you can buy a bracket that eliminates the linkage from the tub (skyjacker). The knocking shows it's ugly face at idle, acceleration, and low speeds. When it does it again, grab onto your 4x4 lever and you'll feel it.

Comment

Yeah, I thought about quick disconnects but I will be lifting it up 6" in the near future and didnt want to replace them again. I found a good deal on a set of new ones for $15 that should hold me over. Thanks for the info on the tranfercase shift lever too. I will be looking into that on Saturday.....I was worried!!!

Comment

it clunks ( not really bad) when i hit a bump and the wheel shakes like death wobble.

Comment

I would bet that a steering stabalizer...WAIT...did you just get the bracket for the front track bar or did you get an aftermarket adjustable one? Those brackets suck. Go buy an adjustable track bar, and I would bet that the clunk is coming from the sway bar links...they always clunk. But if thats not it then that clunk could be a bad ball joint or also part of the track bar.

Comment

I had the wobble/clunk too with the 4" lift, I finally tracked it down to the bolt that held the stering stabilizer to the axel. When I replaced the stablizer it never occured to me to check the bolt, after tugging on it with a wrench to get it good and tight I was still getting play, I took it apart and slid the bolt in the stabilizer and it was almost like it was the wrong size bolt it was so loose in the metal sleeve. So even with it tight, it was moving around, I replace the bolt with a good grade 8 and it eliminated the wobble and the clunk at the same time. Something to check.

Comment

I just lowered my trans case last night using washers so that I could get the angle back to stock (I measured with degree finder before lifting). My vibrations are gone with the rear drive shaft but I still get the front vibrations/clunking. Its not near as bad since lowering it but its still there. I havent checked the 4wd lever yet, not sure what I am looking for but I will take a look see......

Comment

Working...
                              X