X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4wd shifter

How do you get it off. I need to take the cover off for the auto gear shifter and need to remove the 4wd shifter. Checking to see what came loose. The jeep is in park and the key is not coming out and the steering wheel will not lock. checking the cables in there.

You pull on it until you crap yourself and then keep pulling. When I took mine off, I literally flew into the back seat. Shift it all the way into 4L first. My shifter did the same thing. Had to go by the digital read-out in the dash to tell what position I was in. The clip that holds the cable down is a cheap design. I drilled a hole in the plastic below the cable and crisscrossed two zip ties over the cable and through the hole. That thing will never come loose again.
    Last edited by JSARD; 06-29-2011, 01:18 AM.

Comment

Thanks I will give it a good go after work today. It seems like the cable is attached. I also have just enough room to reach in and play with the cable. Seems good. whatever tells the thing it is in park seems to be the problem. hopefully when i get the shifter off I can see better.

Comment

JSARD. A big thank you. I pulled the shifter off and was able to see what happened. It was not the clip. that is a cheap design for sure. there was a small piece of plastic that broke in there. It would not let the shifter go all the way up. I got in there with a screw driver and freed it up and all seems fine now. Going to test it out but like I said thank you. The 4wd shifter was a pain. i was twisting it. pulled it right off.

Comment

Working...
        X