X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Line Replacement

At the risk of embarassing myself...does anyone know why I couldn't run a new front, passenger side brakeline along the firewall? As stated in another post the line broke during a lift installation. Rather than try and bend a new one around the steer box and frame, it seems like it would be easier to run along the firewall (using some hangers to keep the line in place). I talked this over with a few "car" guys, they didn't seem to think it would be an issue. An engineering buddy pointed out, that if "Jeep" wanted it that way that's how they would do it in the factory...valid observation but a lot more work. Am I missing something obvious (feels like it)?

Thanks!

I personally don't see why you couldn't, but there may be some bizarre reason because of length of the line or heat next to the engine or something like that. My guess is that it was easier to install on the assembly line in front of the radiator when the Jeep was being built. Either way would be a pain in the butt. Have you tried one of the companies that make pre-bent brake lines like In-Line Tube? They may have one pre-bent that would make life a lot easier.

Comment

I got a stainless set of all the hard lines in the Jeep from Classic Tube for about $190. They worked out really well, especially when I bought the Jeep, the winters and salt had taken their toll on the old brake lines.

I would just keep the lines in the place they were intenended to be in. I don't know if it is or isn't a big problem putting the one on the firewall in terms of possible hazards or issues . . . but having brake lines that are already pre bent and ready to go is a plus.

Comment

Thanks guys! I've looked at the pre-bent lines and found them for a similar price ($160-$190)...the same lines (straight but flared with connectors) at NAPA, with bending tool, was $23. I'm already way over budget (this could have been a government repair job!) because of all the incidentals (jeep sat for 5 years before I bought it), so any way I can save money and do it myself, I have to.

Bending them isn't a big concern, except around the steering box...How in the world did you get pre-bent lines around it?

Regards,

John

Comment

my noobie opinion...

I think the lines stick to the frame and not the firewall so any movement between the body and the frame does not cause damage to the hard lines. I may be way wrong though.

Comment

I don't see any reason you can't route your brake lines anyway you want. Just make sure you have no straight runs (without bends) between connectors. The bends in the line, in addition to routing the lines around obstacles, allow the line to flex somewhat, preventing stress related failure.

Comment

Originally posted by mjt
              I think the lines stick to the frame and not the firewall so any movement between the body and the frame does not cause damage to the hard lines. I may be way wrong though.
              That's a great reason why you shoudn't put it on the body or firewall. I agree with you, but what do I know I'm a newbie also.

Comment

Working...
              X