X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another T18 Question Ford or Jeep?

So if you were going to install a T18, is it better to do the Ford or the Jeep? I talked to Novak and they said they can't get some of the parts for the Jeep Tranny. They work out about the same price in the end buying the adapter verses paying more for the jeep Tranny. They both need new driveshafts so what is the way to go? I know there are alot of threads on this but I've never seen one on the best way to go.

personally, I would use the Jeep T18 (CJ)... that way the input shaft is at the correct length and you do not have to get a conversion for it...
    Last edited by Zoediak; 06-24-2008, 05:32 PM.

Comment

a full size jeep t18 requires a new input shaft because the fsj uses a long adapter between the bellhousing and trans. if you are lucky enough to find one of the ones that came factory from a cj, it has to be from 76.5 to 79 model years to get the 6.32 1st gear though. the 75 and earlier t18's in jeeps had a 4something to 1 1st... the ford is a bolt in, you just use a new pilot bearing and a jeep bellhousing from a t150 or t176 trans. novak adapters has this info and a ton more on t18 swaps, i suggest you check them out heres a link:

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/t18_t19.htm

Comment

yep. Just order a pilot bushing from novak for the ford swap. That reminds me..... I gotta get one for the new motor.

Comment

Thanks I appreciate the info. I think I might go with the Ford. I can buy a Ford T18 and a Dana 300 for $175 and just have to rebuild the Dana.
          Thanks again if there is any other suggestions please chime in.

Comment

Is the Ford t18 already adapted to the Dana 300? If so that's a incredible price for that setup.

Comment

No I have to buy the adapting hardware from Novak for $500. But I think it's still a pretty good deal. The Tranny has already been rebuilt.

Comment

Yep Still a good deal. I figured I'd have $900 in doing one from scratch. And that wasn't the original price of a transmission.

Comment

Hey guys question about the piot bearing. Are you sure that's all you need to go from ford to an AMC engine. I thought it needed a new input shaft too. If that's the case, the t-18 i got for $40 bucks was a better deal than i thought.

Do i use a jeep clutch, or ford cutch?

Now I just have to find a good deal on the adapter to the dana 20.

Comment

Yep to mate the T18 to the 258 all you need is the pilot bushing. Clutch and pressure plate are the same and you need a T150 bell housing. But to mate it to a TC you need the output shaft and drive gear and adapter plate. At least thats what I was told at Novak.

Comment

i am putting a ford t18 and a d300 in a 72 cj5 right now . just gotta get the flow for the adapter

Comment

Originally posted by doe_knob View Post
                        Yep to mate the T18 to the 258 all you need is the pilot bushing. Clutch and pressure plate are the same and you need a T150 bell housing. But to mate it to a TC you need the output shaft and drive gear and adapter plate. At least thats what I was told at Novak.
                        This may not be true. It depends on what transmission you have in the Jeep currently. The ford t18 uses a (I think) 1-1/16 diameter input shaft. The T176 and the T4,T5 use an 1-1/8" input shaft. I had to change the clutch disc when I swapped from a T176 to a T18. I also run the bigger clutch (11" I think) There wasn't a kit for the 11" clutch with that shaft diameter so I just bought a clutch from Summit and reused my existing pressure plate (it was less than a year old anyway)

Partsmike has a lot of info on the conversions of T18's. You might want to check out his site.

Comment

the only other thing you need is a set of driveshafts for a T-5, t-4, with the novak adapter or any 3 inch adapter

so all together to do a Ford T-18 swap you need these parts:

1. T-176, T-150 or T-18 (duh) SWB Jeep bellhousing
                          2. Pilot bushing for Ford T-18 to (insert your crank here)
                          3. transfer case adapter (Novak, comes with output shaft)
                          4. driveshafts for a T-5, T-4 (only with Novak or other 3 inch adapter)
                          5. and of course a T-18 Ford transmission w/ten spline input shaft
                          6. Ford 10 1/2in. clutch disk (the CJ one is 1 1/8 vs 1 1/16 for the ford)*

*(if you have an 11 inch clutch get a ford 11 inch clutch)

get er dun!
                          Last edited by the Captain; 07-06-2008, 08:57 PM. Reason: learned about #6

Comment

Almost the right size!!

mxg342 is correct. If you have the 1 1/8 it feels like it is the correct size disc, but it is actually the wrong size. I have a T-19 in my sons Jeep and I needed an 1 1/16 disc, perfect fit. I hope this is some good info.

Comment

Will the input shaft on a Ford t-18 work with the AMC V8's with a just a new bushing too?

Comment

Working...
                              X