Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add-a-leaf or new leaf suspension kits?

Im want to put a lift on my 89 YJ,but not sure which route would be the best,any info would be great.I live CT and trails out here are pretty mild so I was thinking maybe 2.5 to 3in lift,checking online there are a ton of diffrent lifts,the add-a-leafs with new shocks caught my eye,mainly because of the price $200-400 depending on brand,they also look easier to install.Any pros and cons on lifts with new leafs or add-a-leaf.

I would go with the lift kit with new springs. The add a leaf will just make it ride even worse. If your springs are pretty bad as it is time to replace them anyway. I would check out 4wd's 2 inch kit, 600 buck has almost everything you need.

Comment

I agree with Sparky, get new springs all around, add-a-leafs will make you feel like your riding on cement blocks, besides YJ springs (factory) seem to lose their rate in no time at all so add-a-leafs would just put your springs back to stock size and a worse ride. If you have the cash, check out Old Man Emu, awesome riding suspensions.

Comment

Agreed hands down with both previous post, do the lift kit and new springs, you will be please with the change and they will last longer. Some say is not true but I would run without shocks for at least the first 500 miles just to soften the springs a little bit, just to break them in. After that you will be in good shape. Save your cash until you have enough to do the lift, you will be more satisfied with the end result. Belive me, my neighbor did it on the old YJ beat I sold him and it rides nice. Well as nice as a Jeep would...

Comment

i jsut bought a 2 inch e-z rode Tuff country lift. totaled me about 650.00 including shipping. ill let ya know how it goes...
          Last edited by sreno0207; 09-26-2006, 03:48 PM.

Comment

add a leaves might be cheaper, but man will that price expand with your frustration of trying to seperate rusty leaves and insert the Add a leaf.

especially in CT your Jeep will have years and years of rust and road salt damage. It's already challenging enough to just replace the whole leaf spring never mind take it apart.

I had a friend that did an add a leaf. He said it was a pain. It flexes real good and rides nice. My 4 inch RE springs are way stiffer than his rancho add a leafs- which isn't always a good thing- especially when it comes to flexing the suspension.

Comment

Thanks for all the input sounds like a full kit is the way to go,Im on pretty tight budget so it might be a little while before I get it.But another question when it comes to full suspension kits,how much mods are required for a 2in lift
              do I have to lengthen any linkage or drop anything,Im in no ways a mechanic but I can wrench a little and I would love to try and do it myself.So is it just bolt on and go or more involved.

Comment

lift

hi Dave,
                i'm in CT also and 2.5 is fine, spend some money and have a friend do the work. check your fuel pump.

Comment

I have an add a leaf type set-up on my YJ. The reason is the weight and stuff associated with towing a boat.Level towing is important so make your lift and towing compatable. You may not tow all the time so your everyday ride suffers badly..hard..bounce. But a boat or trailor can sway and swerve if you don't compensate for the weight and drag differential.

Comment

Originally posted by GUNNER44
                    .But another question when it comes to full suspension kits,how much mods are required for a 2in lift
                    do I have to lengthen any linkage or drop anything,Im in no ways a mechanic but I can wrench a little and I would love to try and do it myself.So is it just bolt on and go or more involved.
                    In theory a 2 inch kit is a simple bolt on. The hardest part is usually removing the old springs which somtimes requires a little cutting (or a torch) due to rust. I had to lower my transfer case due to vibrations but most of the time thats not needed. You may want to spend a little extra and get new shackles before you start since sometimes the only way to get the old ones off is to cut the bolts.

Comment

I got 1/2 lifted shackles I'm selling for only $15. They were never used. If this dude doesnt buy them you can have them if your interested.

Comment

go with a full kit, you will be much happier, i would recomend RE 2.5 or 4 inch standerd lift it be the best for the money

Comment

Working...
                        X