Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new steel body!!

There is more plate to come!

Making good friends with a union welder (no cost), buying 14 ga diamond plate steel, cut off wheels, MIG wire, and self fabin ($500.00), knowing your CJ5 could do a tour in Iraq...... Priceless!!

Ballistic tests will follow.....
    Last edited by adamkick; 09-08-2007, 11:53 AM.

Nice tub!

Wanna do mine for me????

Actually looks good...are you going to polish the diamond plate or paint it?

Comment

Looks pretty good! If you get bored over there, there's a CJ waiting on my side of the pond...

Comment

Thanks guys! Most likely going to paint it, haven't decided yet. I'll let you guys know if I get into the business of doing this.
        Most likely.... the recent hand injuries will render me useless.

Comment

So i have to ask, what was your tecnque for bending the raduis around the back end. Looking for a simple way to do it.

Looks good!!!

Comment

A nice sized wrench to put pressure on the end and acetylene torch nice and gentle.... air cool... ya have to do that!

Comment

where do you get diamond plate like that?...all i can find is the thin flimsy stuff..i wanna get t crashed by a tank and win

Comment

Originally posted by the Captain
                where do you get diamond plate like that?...all i can find is the thin flimsy stuff..i wanna get t crashed by a tank and win

That's why I have the 8x8 with all the armour, you can even roll that beast and still have no damage done... except that the trail looks messy

Comment

Got the steel at a supply house around Pittsburgh, PA. Its more like a few barns in a field, but the people are good. They had the best prices. Sold me the 4x8 sheets of 14ga plate for $85 each.... couldnt pass that up. If you want the phone number I can get it, but dont know where you are.

Comment

I am close enough, I'll take that number.

Comment

My neighbor has 4 4X8 sheets of the good stuff. Once I strip the body and fix the rust, Im going to cover 90% of my jeep in it. Not sure about paint yet, its the real shinny stuff. I would like to use it in place of the body panels but im not sure if I can pull that off. Its on my YJ but seamed on topic over here.

Comment

how heavy is that thing?

Comment

The name of the place is Omslaer Steel @ 412-788-4411

Comment

Heavy.... I used to be able to move the body by myself.
                            Now I budge it. Just plated the inside the body fender wells, so I added few pounds today. Plan on liftin it on with a tractor bucket, so I'm not worried...

Comment

yeah....you should be able to drive through a brick wall with that!! i wouldn't be too worried about trail damage......

Comment

Working...
                              X