X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• volt meter

my volt meter still reads 12 volts with the switch turned off.any ideas?

uhm...

It's stuck?

Disconnect one side of the battery, Ross. If it still reads twelve volts, see if it will start, you may be on to something...J/K

I would hope after disconnecting the battery that it stays at twelve volts. If not, then the PO has done PO magic to your wiring.

Comment

volt meter

No pulled wire off back of guage and it drops.Yea not starting lead me to see the guage staying on.also 12 volt standing at coil.to fat to get to the ign switch.( to many trips around the sun and dinner table)

Comment

volt meter

im only human ,Sorry Ross
        Last edited by RED85; 03-01-2009, 04:52 AM. Reason: wrong infomation

Comment

this one probably needs the flag...

Originally posted by RED85 View Post
          the factory wireing on the cj came that way, it's normal.
          Red, may I ask where you got this piece of information?

Comment

the factory wireing on the cj came that way, it's normal.

i installed a battery shut-off switch, to help keep the battery from draining down

Your high. It did not.
            Someone got to your jeep first and messed it up. I have never had a volt meter always on.
            Now I did have a jeep the that ammeter was always on. But I am not sure on that wiring as it was hacked when I got it.

Comment

volt meter

guage used to turn off with the ign. switch.jeep started and ran then cut off,restarted then cut off again.has not started sence.voltage to coil, (even with the switch off) no spark.have a accel HEI super coil 140003.not sure how to test coil.still need to fix guage.guess i'll take the dash out today.

Comment

Uhm... Don't take the dash out. The problem seems to be in the ignition switch. The Voltmeter is on the ACC side of the ignition switch and should turn off with the key off.

Does the key turn easier than normal? It could be a broken rack in the steering column also but I would inspect the ignition switch myself. there could be something messed up inside.

If the voltmeter was hooked up all the time, which it is not, it would only draw about 0.050 amps.
                Last edited by John Strenk; 02-27-2009, 10:09 AM.

Comment

volt meter

switch has always been a little stiff.mostly turning off.was thinking about doing away with the key switch and using toggle and push button.might be more a pain then i think to wire in.

Comment

concurring with superior knowledge...

Ross, John is pointing you in the right direction. Since you suffer from 'big boy syndrome' (I can relate to that malady by the way...) you might be hesitant to tackle the ignition switch, but you really ought to give it a shot, or pay to have it done. You're going to wind up down there at some point judging by the symptoms you're describing.

Comment

volt meter

Yep ignition switch was bad.no switch to be found.have put in a toggle and push button for acc and starting.found bad coil for starting problem.jeep starts now but when toggle is turned off motor still runs.dont know if the alt is from the orig wngine or cam on the chev 350.pos diod bad in alt wiring.wonder where that is??????????

Comment

Originally posted by Ross carr View Post
                        Yep ignition switch was bad.no switch to be found.have put in a toggle and push button for acc and starting.found bad coil for starting problem.jeep starts now but when toggle is turned off motor still runs.dont know if the alt is from the orig wngine or cam on the chev 350.pos diod bad in alt wiring.wonder where that is??????????
                        Theres gotta be an ignition switch out there. Even used? I would say dont chump on this one if ya dont have to. Theres help out here. Stick with the original, just my 2 cents. Try "wanted to buy" on this fourm. I found an original ash tray there. Yu wouldnt believe what some guys have got.Heres a link to our sponsor......http://www.4wd.com/search.aspx?SH=QT...&AnswerID=4651
                        Last edited by redtail; 02-27-2009, 10:50 PM.

Comment

two more pennies...

Originally posted by redtail View Post
                          ...I would say dont chump on this one if ya dont have to. Theres help out here. Stick with the original, just my 2 cents. Heres a link to our sponsor...http://www.4wd.com/search.aspx?SH=QT...&AnswerID=4651
                          I'll throw in two more with Red, Ross. Get the switch from 4WD and make it right. If you take the seat/s out, it isn't really that bad.

Comment

Volt meter

Hey guys....Sorry about that ,Blackwater & Penquin thanks for correcting me ,what i should have said was 12 volts is allways on the Ing. switch my falt ....hope this helps....http://www.jeep4x4center.com/cj7/Ign...Components.htm
                            again Sorry about my firt post Ross....
                            Last edited by RED85; 03-01-2009, 05:26 AM. Reason: add where to find ING. SW

Comment

it's contagious...

im only human ,Sorry Ross
                              And brother, can I relate to THAT statement. Welcome to the board, Red. Nice lookin' CJ. Someone was just posting questions about a one-piece front end.

Comment

Working...
                              X