Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adv bob, thanks for the info. what's your oci?

Comment

I use valvoline high millage, but recently i put in penzoil because its my dads favorite and he wanted me to try it. As for oil filters either fram or wix my dad loves fram. I personally don't think the oil filter does that much. I change my oil every 3k normally sooner.

100,223 miles... yes i memorize my miles.

Comment

I run Pennzoil High-Mileage 10W-30 in my '98 XJ.
        Use the Fram TG16.
        I try to change it every 3K miles, but sometimes I go over a bit.
        Running with 145K on the clock.

Comment

This thread is funny. Go to http://bobistheoilguy.com and do a search for your motor. You will be able to see the results of many different oil analysis and be able to draw your own conclusions. I think they have some filter tests as well.

I used to use Mobil1 10w30 but with the new-to-me 4.0 I will only use Havoline 10W30 and I also use the Mobil1 oil filter.

Comment

I use a Wix filter and what ever oil is on sale, Valvoline, Quaker State or Pennzoil 5w30, with 116K on the 4.0 And change it about every 3000 miles

Comment

I use a Mobil-1 filter, with High Milage 10w-40. I like the 10w-40 because it doesnt leak as much as the 10w-30.

Comment

Castrol 10w40 and Napa Gold filter. DP

Comment

Maybe Im an old guy... Not sure what my "OCI" is exactly.
                  Wix has a plant in gastonia because thats their HQ. But man these sound like China and SOuth American plants to me...

Tianjin-Wix
                  Shi Yan Lou Hou Ce Zhong Chan
                  Men He Dong District
                  Tianjin, China
                  and
                  Av. Pres. Medice, 939
                  06268-000 - Osasco - SP
                  Brazil

I'm not saying that making stuff overseas is bad, I dont mean to imply that. But when it comes to low profit high volume parts, oil filters, Timken bearings, It nearly impossible to make them in the states and pay the wages US workers expect. Now high profit, large, limited production stuff with a lot of engineering in it does pretty well in the US.

Comment

oci=oil change interval

Comment

Wow did I ever miss that acronym... Thought you were refering to some kind of lingo that I just was too old to get.

I change the oil and the filter in the Turtle about every 4000 miles. More if Im wheeling out west where the dust levels are much higher than the mud levels.
                      Here in FL the diff oil change is the critical one.

Comment

1991 YJ
                        160,000 Miles
                        Oil? Currently? Valvoline, Mobil 1, Tech1000, Advance Autoparts, Napa, geeze... I dont know what all is in there right now. Last oil change was 2 years ago in 4WD's parking lot I had a little oopsie on the rock pile and smashed my oil pan and lost all my oil. Then I JB welded the hole and that also filled in my drain plug.

Comment

Originally posted by joe_and_jeep
                          1991 YJ
                          160,000 Miles
                          Oil? Currently? Valvoline, Mobil 1, Tech1000, Advance Autoparts, Napa, geeze... I dont know what all is in there right now. Last oil change was 2 years ago in 4WD's parking lot I had a little oopsie on the rock pile and smashed my oil pan and lost all my oil. Then I JB welded the hole and that also filled in my drain plug.
                          Dude....don't forget the stuff from my house!

I stick to 3k miles on the street jeeps, and every 20 hours on my wheelin' rig.

Comment

Leadfoot! Just what I was looking for! I measure my oci's (oil change intervals) by engine hours as well!

Rock crawling renders mileage figures useless...

Comment

joe and jeep, if you jb'd your oil plug hole in, how do you change your oil? do you pick up your jeep and flip it upside down and shake it so the oil comes out of the valve cover cap hole? Or do you poke a hole in the filter and let the jeep idle so that the bad oil spurts out as you gradually add fresh oil?

Comment

adv bob, you're only as old as you feel, so if you're jeepin it and havin' fun, you're a lot younger than some of the workaholics at my office. they may drive bimmers, but all they know how to do is work and drink.

Comment

Working...
                                X