X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused with new crate engine

Just installed a new AMC 360. Has alot of noise from lifters. Kind of a tick-pop through carb especially when opening up throttle. Will fire up instantly when you hit the key. Any ideas??????

Who rebuilt the engine? Some rebuilders have a less-than-good name. I have spoken with many folks who say you should go through the engine before you install it and double-check everything. Make sure all of the torques are right and everything is pre-lubed.

Since it's already in, I'd pop the valve covers at least and check there. Maybe get under it and drop the oil pan too and check the mains and rod caps.

Does it have hydraulic lifters? May just need to pump up. Did you prime the oil pump before you fired it up?

Comment

Originally posted by mudRat View Post
      Just installed a new AMC 360. Has alot of noise from lifters. Kind of a tick-pop through carb especially when opening up throttle. Will fire up instantly when you hit the key. Any ideas??????
      Does it it have throttle body fuel injection. I know ya said carb.. Just installed my TBI and its noisy as heck. Ya can hear the rapping of the injectors as ya increase the speed. Sounds like lifters.

Comment

Did this engine come with break in instructions? if I was you I would call the builder and ask for break in instructions or was it pre broke in.Careful you do not ruin the cam

Comment

Originally posted by Gryphon View Post
          May just need to pump up. Did you prime the oil pump before you fired it up?
          When I did my 304, had to pack the oil pump with petrol jelly to prime my pump. call the builder and ask him. thats your best bet.

Comment

has 60p. oil pres builder said that he ran motor in ad

Comment

My first guess would be timing,, if its poping through tbi\carb and rattling lifters sounds like a timing issue.. I have also seen one do this bad when cam wasnt broke in correctly .

Comment

check the valve train- are the rockers tight? that would cause a backfire/snapping/popping up through the carb- is it firing on all 8?

Comment

Update on "confused new crate engine"

Thank you to everyone who posted comments and suggestions. Turns out it was the rocker arms not being torqued properly. By the way here's what it went in: 79 CJ5 "new AMC 360" 3 speed twin stick Dana 20 Wagoneer Dana 44's with locked 456 gears all new, can't wait to try it out!

Thanks again for all the help.

Comment

sweet sounds like it should go good! glad to hear you fixed it!

Comment

Working...
                    X