Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check out my most extreme mod to date!!!

Well, I've said time and time again that I'm not exactly the friendly neighborhood mechanic, so something like this is big for me--lol
    It took me forever because I kept mixing up where the plate with the hole went. I zipped throught the instruction booklet fast and overlooked the part that said it goes between the frame and the REAR wire clip. I'm quite amazed at how strong these things are considering they're held to the tubes on the frame by 3 bolts each.

I think its upside down?

Looks good. Now put some scratches on it!

Comment

By the way, these are the Olympic Double Nerf Bars (pg 100 of your 4wd HW catalog).
      Has anyone else installed these ones yet? I installed them in the "down" position to help my shorter friends get in the back easier...lol Anyway, I could only fit 3 of the attaching bolts (the smaller ones). There are 5 holes, so I'm guessing that you use 4 for "up" position, and only 3 for the "down" position because of a slightly different angle.
      Anyway, I love 'em.
      Here's another slightly different angle of them.

Comment

Are those mud flaps???? I always thought you were supposed to get muddy.

Comment

So they are meant to have the option of installing them upside down...or is that the reason you can only get 3 bolts in them? The way you have them, I'd have them snagged on something and ripped off before I left the driveway!

Comment

Stock Jeeps are low enough as it is. I tease my mom that her stock 92 is a lowrider. But they're not lower than the skidplate so for now he'll be fine. Its still stock anyways.

Comment

I have these........
              I am going to start with what I didn't like about them.
              1: Powder coating is a bad option.
              2: Every time I wanted to take it and flip them I had to losen the frame mounts to do it.
              3: Cross bolts that hold the mounts to the frame will rust and BREAK.
              And what I do like about them.
              1: Will take a full drop on the rocks in either position up or down.
              2: Work well as a pivot point
              3: No a "permanent" modification.

As a result, I have added PSC Rocker knockers and LOVE them. Currently, I loaned my OLY steps to a buddy who tested the pivot point ability of them while I was behind him in my Jeep (it was awesome to see them work like that so well). He is going to buy the PSC peices also, but get the slider bar option.
              I mainly bought them for the same reason, My fiancee is not very tall at all and I wanted to do something dual purpose. A step, and some protection.....
              They are going back on after Mike gets his guards, but they are getting stripped and painted to match my rocker guards with the Hammered Rustoleum Black.
              I am thinking of putting quick disconnect pins in so I can just pull them out when I wheel to not damage them further.

All in all, I like them, and I like the design, but don't use them as a HiLift point. you will bend the mounting plates (unless OLY changed this part of the design).
              Wow, I typed a lot......
              Later,
              Augie

Comment

Originally posted by jdstj
                Are those mud flaps???? I always thought you were supposed to get muddy.
                Yeah, but I was getting annoyed at the stones flying out of the front tires and f'ing up my rear fenders. I want to keep them nice FOR NOW...

Comment

Originally posted by TJAugie
                  I have these........

3: Cross bolts that hold the mounts to the frame will rust and BREAK.
                  Yeah--I broke one just tightening it. I was like, what the hell? I thought someone fired a gun at me. the end flew across the garage. I went to get it, and it was hot as hell. Olympic needs to invest in some better bolts. Then again, that's what they'll tell me when I complain to them...

Comment

Yeah I'd flip them in the up position and tell your friends to deal with it!!
                    Stock jeeps aren't that difficult to get in.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruised
                      Yeah I'd flip them in the up position and tell your friends to deal with it!!
                      Stock jeeps aren't that difficult to get in.
                      Yeah, but midgets can be fun to have around...

Comment

Those are nice looking. However you may want to flip them around the other way. Stock Jeeps CAN go everywhere but with the metal hanging down that far you will rip them off. My 3 1/2" side bars are now like 2" side bars after meeting a few well placed rocks.

Comment

Originally posted by yellow04
                          Those are nice looking. However you may want to flip them around the other way. Stock Jeeps CAN go everywhere but with the metal hanging down that far you will rip them off. My 3 1/2" side bars are now like 2" side bars after meeting a few well placed rocks.
                          We warned you.

Comment

That's why I'm glad this forum is here. After reading the posts, I'm going to be flipping the guards around soon. Thanks for the input guys.

Comment

Old Jeeper to new Jeeper about having side bars. Lesson learned

Comment

Working...
                              X