X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixed style tire carrier?

Does anyone make a rear bumper with a fixed tire carrier? All I can seem to find are swing-out types. Maybe I just spent too much time in the sun.....

Carrier

They mostly do that because people want to be able to open their tailgates.

Comment

I understand that...but my 5 has no tailgate and I really would like to eliminate as much tire carrier "rattle" as I can.

Comment

what about us guys that don't have a tailgate? i have a glass body and no tailgate. my tire carrier swings out (with a little persuasion). i would rather have one that drops down, could maybe be used as a table or a small work surface if needed. the only time my tire carrier gets swung out is to wash the jeep. if someone finds a carrier that drops or is fixed, please post it here.

Comment

Poison Spyder Customs makes a swing down one, but they are expensive:

https://www.spydercustoms.com/Bumpers/5120_sm.jpg

https://www.spydercustoms.com/Bumpers/8609_sm.jpg

Rear Stinger Carrier, I can't link directly to it but it is under the Components Section.

Comment

That rear stinger bumper is BA! 600 bones aint bad for it either IMO...Not available for my application yet though....should be soon. Now you got me thinkin....and you got my wallet hiding from me....lol

Comment

If you have access to someone who can weld, it should be really simple to build a fixed carrier.

Then add a simple tray with hooks or tabs that attatch with wing nuts and you've got a table. Maybe a jerry can carrier that bolts on and folds out?

The fold-down is cool, but I can just imagine having to lift that freaking tire and wheel twice...once on to the rack and again upright.

Comment

Originally posted by Gryphon View Post
                The fold-down is cool, but I can just imagine having to lift that freaking tire and wheel twice...once on to the rack and again upright.

No kidding! I'd be running the winch line over the cage to lift it!

Comment

I just built a fixed tire carrier/bumper for Dad's 3B yesterday. I should've taken pics. Maybe I will tomorrow.

Comment

I'd go with a homemade one...

That poison spyder carrier looks damn nice, it's just a tad pricey... not to think about what it takes to lift the tire back up...

Comment

Originally posted by Toralf View Post
                      ... not to think about what it takes to lift the tire back up...
                      Good thought and good point. I made a swing down style carrier for my TJ. Let me tell you, it takes a good bit of grunt and some straining to put it in the "up" postition with a 36" SX on a beadlock. I can't imagine what it would be like with a larger tire.

Comment

Working...
                      X