X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '56 Willys Pickup

In the process of making the vehicle safe for a VP in my office, most items have gone as foreseen. It is upgraded to 12v alternator, keeping existing gauges - some headaches there. All new electrical system down to harness, new brake system, new fuel tank, fixing oil leaks, etc. etc. etc. But yesterday was an experience with that ol' Willys I won't forget to soon. With just a few items left to have this driveable for my boss, she was following me down the road in her other vehicle while I drove the Jeep to the gas station. With only 1 or 2 more curves left, about 4 or 5 miles away from her garage, the trip ended. As I went around a corner, oblivious to her honking, flashing lights and waving hands, a thump and a wheel and axle are racing up the right side of the truck... a few knock knocks of the axle telling me to let it back in the truck before it proceeded to head down the ditch along the fence. I was already concerned about these axles because I had just put a bearing in on that side and noticed at the time there was no backing plate or c-ring for the bearing to back up against. This Timken axle is supposed to require 700-900 lbs of force to get the bearing on the axles, yet both sides on this truck, I was able to man-handle off. After many ideas and multiple friends inputs, I am leaning towards welding inch long beads on opposite sides of shaft to allow bearings to seat up against when installing, thus preventing that axle to slide out anymore. does anyone agree or disagree with this idea?
Working...
X