X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zerk boots really hard

I did the oil change/greasing joints today, and a couple of the zerk boots (7 total) seemed REALLY hard, like they were not boots at all - mainly the two at each wheel pointing upward. I was unable to put any grease into those zerks.

Are those supposed to be flexible boots? Could they maybe be plugged up, causing problem putting grease in? I am a noob at greasing zerksl so any info from the pros will be appreciated!

zerk fittings are metal, not boots. you can replace them, they're sold in any auto parts store.

Comment

A couple of the lower ones seemed like rubber - they puffed up when I pumped grease inside. Are these boot easy to replace? Do I need to jack up the car?

Comment

zerk fittings screw in and out. the dust cover boots are replaceable by simply removing the tie rod castle nut and removing the tie rod end.

Comment

The tie rod end boots are soft rubber and will fill up like a balloon. Your zerks are probably stuck. There's a little metal ball in the end of the fitting that allows grease in and not back out. These balls get stuck in the closed position not allowing grease to fill the joint. These can be removed by screwing them out. You can find replacements at any auto parts store.

Comment

Working...
          X