X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After Lift getting Vibs off the line

I have just installed a 3" 4WD lift and I have had the jeep aligned everything seems to be fine but I am having 2 problems. First, when I start out in first gear I am getting a vib kind of a sudder I can feel it all through the jeep.. but once I get moving it's very smooth right up through 50 60 70 MPH.. I think it's in the drive line but not sure what, has anyone else had this problem? Also having a problem shifting into 2 4 6 & R.. but I think I am going to bend the shifter a little bit to correct this.. I am more worried about the vib.

I have that same shudder.....couldn't figure out what it is...so I just live with it...beautiful country up your way...have family that used to live there

Comment

isnt that a problem with the drive shaft angle?

Comment

Considering the shifter problem, he has also installed the t-case lowering kit, so driveshaft angles aren't a problem. Bending the shifter will work just fine. Your shuddering while just getting moving is probably your clutch objecting to the larger tires. Mine does this too and that's what I've always figured it is since it does not do it in 4-low.

Comment

My RE 2.5" lift did the same thing with the TC drop. I installed shims on the rear axle and the problem immediately went away. Most kits should come with rear axle shims. My kit said they weren't always necessary. Well, they definately were and solved that start off shiver!

If your kit didn't come with shims, you should be able to buy them separately. It looks like there would be very little change in the drive angle when looking at the shims. The change however was quite dramatic!

Comment

Yes correct I have installed a T-Cast drop.. I don't think I can shim with a TJ.. I corrected the shifting problem with a little heat and about a 1 inch push on the shifter..

Comment

The two choices I am aware of for a TJ would be rear adjustable upper control arms or a cam-bolt kit to adjust your upper rear control arms. I have the same vibes but they are very slight, I'm just gonna wait, watch for ujoint/pinion seal issues, & get an SYE in the future.

Comment

I get the same shudder on mine. I have a 3" Lift and T case drop installed, as well. Last night I uninstalled the T case drop just to see what it felt like with out it. It's a whole difference kind of vib now, much worse.

I can't figure out whether the shudder is because of the excess space the T-case has to bounce around or because my crappy 3.07's hate my 33's. I think SYE is really the only answer.

Comment

the problem is the rear ujoints. fix it before they break. if it lets loose at hwy speeds you get to hear the drive shaft flop around at 70mph.

Comment

Craig...the shudder didn't start until I put the lift on....still think it's the u joints??

Comment

there are a few things that can come to mind.

1) if your rear axel is a d-44, the t-case trop might not be enough to correct driveline angles. d-44's have been known to wiggle with the RE BB (1.75in lift)
                      if its a d-35, then its not the drive-line angle.

2) tires out of balance / bad belt on tires.

3) steering stabilizer

Can you feel the vibs through the tub, or through the steering wheel? This can help you narrow it down to where it is located. If its through the steering wheel, check your steering components, track bar

If its through the tub, check your swaybars. I dont see why it would be your control arms, but thats certianly a possibility.

I would definitly check the front track bar, especially if you did not redrill it like you need to. I believe its 3/4in or soemthing.

good luck!

-Lou

Comment

and you can also try a 1in BL with 1in MML to further correct driveline angles. And you add an inch lift

Comment

I had the same problem after installing my 3" BDS lift. Check your U-joint but you will probably have to change the pinion angle with adj. pinion cams or adj. control arms. I had the same problem and it ruined my U-joint in no time. Once I adjusted the pinion angle no more vibes.

Comment

Originally posted by Buster
                            Craig...the shudder didn't start until I put the lift on....still think it's the u joints??

any drive line angle probs are going to show up at the ujoint. the joint itself may not be bad, but the tension is showing up at that point in the drive line and will cause them to go bad prematurely. what i meant if it didn't come across that way.

Comment

Well things went from bad to worse the other day.. the vib on startup is still there but it started making a louder clicking noise.. this comes and goes ?? I am not engoying this at all, I guess I am going to have to break down and install a SYE and new drive shaft.. unless there is anything else I can do??

Comment

Working...
                              X