X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 YJ turning radius problem

New to the whole Jeep experience, I just bought my daughter a 95 YJ with about a 3 inch body lift, sitting on 32's.
    Didnt notice untill the next day that it turns great to the left, but only about half as much to the right...
    Tires never scrub or anything... I thought the pitman arm might be off a tooth then I was told they are keyed and you can't adjust them... can anyone verify that for me? any Ideas whats going on?

Terry
    Last edited by terryrwood; 09-20-2010, 10:04 AM.

You might need adjust the tie rod. It may need to be adjusted to lengthen the distance between the pitman arm and the knuckle. I had a similar situation on my CJ.

Also check to make sure nothing is binding and keeping it from turning to the right. Due to the body light I would double check the steering shaft and make sure all connections are tight. I really doubt that this is causing the situation, but I would check it anyway just to be safe while you are working on it.

Comment

The pitman arm is definitely keyed, you can only turn it 90 degrees. Is the front track bar still connected? Are you sure it only has body lift, no suspension lift? If there is a suspension lift on it and the front track bar is still there it will pull the axle to the drivers side and affect your steering.

Comment

Originally posted by terryrwood View Post
        New to the whole Jeep experience, I just bought my daughter a 95 YJ with about a 3 inch body lift, sitting on 32's.
        Didnt notice untill the next day that it turns great to the left, but only about half as much to the right...
        Tires never scrub or anything... I thought the pitman arm might be off a tooth then I was told they are keyed and you can't adjust them... can anyone verify that for me? any Ideas whats going on?

Terry
        You must have gotten the NASCAR version!

Comment

totaly pissed now.. typed out a long response and wasnt logged in or soemthing.. and it didnt save it...

Thanks for the replies...
          Anyway.. after googling Jeep front track bar, I went out and looked.. still there... dont know if it has a susp lift.. it measures 14.75" to the bottom of the frame rail under the doors. you can see it in my profile pic.
          Had my daughter take it to the local 4x4 shop... they were locking up and just told her $150.. no expl...

It does look like someone has been cranking on the drag link with a pipe wrench...
          With the wheels sitting straight.. the steering dampener shaft has about 6" exposed and only about 3" shiny where thats all it travels to the right... I damn near missed my driveway the first time I tried to whip it in ...
          She says she has learen to do alot of backing to the left first when she wants to turn right...

I would think the pitman arm would be dead center with the wheels at center.. mine is off to the drivers side by a good 3 inches

needing a 4X4 for dummies book right about now...

Comment

Yep, it sounds like it just needs adjustment. That is something you can do yourself (just be sure to tighten everything up really good when you are done. I would start there.

Comment

I don't think it is anything too big, It sounds like the drag link is not adjusted right. If your not sure about what or how to do it, take it to a shop and ask them to look at it and show you what needs to be done. But " IF " it has a lift and the factory track bar is still there, then that an issue and you would need to get the proper track bar first. A suspension lift is what I'm refering to.
              Last edited by shagsJeep; 11-28-2010, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X