X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Linkage

My Jeep project is getting very close to being driveable. The biggest thing holding me back from driving it is the clutch linkage. I have a 4WDH fiberglass body that has about a 1 inch body lift built into it. The bar that attaches the bell crank to the pedal assembly seems to be to short. It looks like if it was about half an inch longer it would work. I would have to cut it, find a half inch peice of round bar and weld it in between the two peices. Is this what is normally done? It seems like a lot of people would have to do this, but I rarely hear of it. Just some advice would be great before I go cut my linkage up. Thanks.

Get this...

Get the clutch kit from ROD Links. It is a heim joint linkge that helps add the extra space and takes away the binding. To me the linkage is the weakest link in the jeep. Good luck.
    T

Comment

I'll be watching this thread because I'll be re-installing my clutch linkage next week to my new glass tub. Good luck.

Comment

suck at the internet...

CJ5311,

You need the 'adjustable' kit. I think it's what T's79 is talking about. It's in the 4Wd catalog, at least an older catalog I have with the cave painting on the front but no date. It does say 'cool fall savings' on the back so I'm going to have to go with that. (It's been on my desk for awhile.) Anyway, I plugged p/n: 75601 into the search on the web site but got no hit. Maybe if you call them they can help. The above p/n says for 1976-86 CJ with body lifts up to 3".

If you have a catalog you might try looking in the Exhaust & Transmission section. The part is on page 187 of the caveman catalog.

Comment

After I put a 1" body kit on my CJ I cut the end off of the stock rod, I found a heim joint, I believe it is a 1" joint. Then I threaded the rod, screwed on the joint and adjusted it to length. I also lowered the linkage mount an inch.
          [IMG]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...Fenders001.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

I ran into the same problem, I just cut the rod and welded a coupling nut in between them.

Comment

a body lift kit i had came with a rod to weld in there just like ya said...but id rather weld in a piece of pipe or sumthin'

Comment

About 15 years ago, I rebuilt my engine. At the same time I replaced all clutch leankage. The rods were almost worn clean thru. I replace most of it. A couple of months later on of the pivot studs on the "Z" bar snapped. I have been debaiting on the after market hydrolic clutch. If you do that let me know how it works out.

Comment

I went with the 4WD heim link setup. I also flipped the mounting around so it mounted on the frame mount instead of the body. Never had one pop off mounting it that way.

Comment

Working...
                  X