X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4cyl VS 6cyl

Ok, I am on the look out for my second jeep. I can't decide wether to go with the 6cyl or the 4cyl. My first jeep was a Yj straight 6, 258 and i loved it! I wanna hear from you 4cyl guys, like what kinda gas mileage does the jeep get and does the 4cyl lack the power of the 6cyl. The jeep is just going to be used for an everyday driver with the ocassional trailride. I might want to lift it at a later date is the 4cyl going to prevent me from doing that? Thanks

6 Cyl

I would do a 6 Cyl personally. I don't own a 4 cyl, but know guys that do. They get better gas mileage, but do lack the power of a 6 cyl. The 4 will be better for a DD, and will be ok for a later lift, but you will have to regear to get better power out of it with bigger tires. This is just my opinion, and will probably get shot down by the 4 cyl owners.

Comment

6 cylinder!

My 97 is a four banger and it's run pretty well, no problems and sufficient around town and trail. On the interstate, that's another story. HOWEVER, the 06 I picked up this weekend is a six cylinder and it is awesome! Such a difference that I was astounded (okay, my life is a bit boring and I'm easily astounded).

The 97 got about 18 mpg - yet to see what the 06 does, but I'm taking it easy so it shouldn't be terrible.

Ed

Comment

I run a 4cyl. Get the 6 if you can. The 4 does ok on road with proper gearing. The 6 does very well even geared a little too high.

Comment

my 4 does great around town ...I'm worried that if I had a 6 I wouldn't be motivated enough to rip it out and replace it with a Hemi.....

Comment

ok thanks for the help, did anyone ever pull a small trailer with their 6cyl or 4cyl?

Comment

I used to pull a 17 foot fiberglass boat with my 258 carb motor the new 4.0 HO have twice the power I had no problems and I was tall geared and big tired 5th gear however was useless

Comment

Originally posted by flicke View Post
                ok thanks for the help, did anyone ever pull a small trailer with their 6cyl or 4cyl?
                I pull a 1500# trailer from time to time. It's a gutless pig.

Comment

I pulled over 8000# with my CJ ( I6 ). The trip was over 300 miles. It did very well, of course it was slow up the hills. I wasnt expecting it to, its not a V8. The load was a U-Haul ( over 2500# ) and a truck on it ( over 5000 ) plus gear ( 500# give or take a few ).

Comment

Get a 6. You really don't gain much in MPG (if any) to make it worth getting a 4.

Comment

I pull a 1000# travel trailer with a 6 and have no problems, sometimes forgetting it's behind me it pulls so well.

Roma

Comment

The EPA emissions standards cause auto mfg to look for platforms with which to make C.A.F.E. standards. Their AVERAGE mpg rating requires that for every gas guzzler they crank out a gutless tin can, whether the buying public wants it or not. Because people don't want to buy a crap-box they sell them at very low profit margins just to unload them. To make up for it they charge extra-deep margins on SUV and full-sized trucks. Remember when pickup trucks were cheap compared to other rides? Thanks to CAFE standards you pay through the nose for vehicles you want so they can practically give away the junk nobody wants.

A 4cyl engine mpg looks pretty good on the paper printout from a dyno. But get in the hills or try to accellerate and the mileage really isn't such a bargain.

Chilly

Comment

My 4 cyl does just fine for me around town, but on the interstate it is rough rough rough on the hills. I wouldn't pull much if anything with mine trailer wise. If I had to replace my engine I wouldn't bother putting a 4 cyl back into mine.
                          If i did it again I would get a six.

Comment

go with the 6 I dont know about where you live but here in Washington if you upgrade your engine you can only go up one size 4cyl to 6cyl 6cyl to 8cyl so if your ever plan on a v-8 go with the 6 just in case

Comment

Originally posted by jonnys99tj View Post
                              My 4 cyl does just fine for me around town, but on the interstate it is rough rough rough on the hills. I wouldn't pull much if anything with mine trailer wise. If I had to replace my engine I wouldn't bother putting a 4 cyl back into mine.
                              If i did it again I would get a six.
                              I think that makes sense, esp with bigger tires and a lift. You will want a 6 cyl or it's gonna be a dog on the highway.

Comment

Working...
                              X