X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Lift or To Lock

I'm trying to decide which route to go. I get stuck from time to time and I'm trying to decide if I should lift my jeep, FullTraction 4" Ultimate Lift to help with the getting stuck or it ARB air Lockers front and back would help me from being stuck in mud and/or snow. I'm also looking for some tips as I would like to do both myself and which ever one I dont do now i'll deffinatly do later.

Here me the last time i got stuck....i following a trail for miles and this spot looke like the rest then i was deep in mud around the tires and what seemed solid in the middle.

From you pic I'm assuming you are running a Dana 35 in the rear still. I'd upgrade the axle before adding lockers. I'd say do the lift first, then axles and lockers.

Comment

winch, lockers, then lift it my thinking... but being locked would not help if you are high middled. bigger Tires would help there..doing things your self is they wai i almost always do it...not much i would not do my self...

Comment

yea, its still mostly stock... time and $$ constraints. a dana 44 would be best for the rear right? How much is that gonna cost?? if im going to do that i think im going to try and get disc brakes in back. As for a wich, im gonna need a diff bumper, thinking the ARB Bull bumper wth winch mount.
        Last edited by JeepinChobot; 12-24-2005, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Unless you plan on dumping a ton of cash in your ride at some point, keep the stock axles, lock 'em up first, then lift later on. If you only have the cash to lock one axle, do the front first.

As a Rubicon owner, you will be AMAZED at what a locked up Jeep can do with no lift.

Comment

From the looks of it your getting stuck cuz you run in some gooey mud. I think some more clearance under your axles will help more than the locker.

Comment

Originally posted by jeepinwrangler
              winch, lockers, then lift it my thinking... but being locked would not help if you are high middled. bigger Tires would help there..doing things your self is they wai i almost always do it...not much i would not do my self...
              Ditto. I get so pissed at myself everytime I get stuck because in over 3 years, I still don't have a winch on my YJ. Winch is a must. No matter what size your jeep is, you can always get it out of a jam with a winch. Lockers are nice also. Lifts are good, but then you need tires with them. Lift and tires = $. Factoring in the cost of tires and lift to lockers per traction increase...lockers win hands down.

Comment

If when you get stuck it is like in the picture then get the lift first. Being locked won't help much if your are bottomed out in the middle. You can then get a lunchbox locker in the front if needed.

Comment

Ill have to agree with lead foot, i aint got a winch, i stil have 1 long chain, a rope and a comealong, IT SUCKS getting stuck, by my self. Get the lockers and a winch, Maby a different bumper choice. If you are planning on getting a dana 44, ou might consider upgrading then locking them, rather than locking a 35 then replacing both the locker and the axels later on down the road. May save you some extra cash. Lock the front now, get a winch, thats what I think...

Comment

Find some used 33's, put some 1 3/4" spacers, rear lock-right, and a winch.

Comment

For me, locking the rear isn't as cheap as just buying a locker. I'm not going to put money into my D35, and I'm sure not keeping my 3.07 gears. So I'm looking at a new rear, 4.11-4.56 R&Ps front and back, and locker(s). Not real cheap.

When I was stock, I used to get smoked by my brother's stock Rubicon. After my lift and 33" MTs I started smoking him, even with his lockers. I could plow right through stuff he sank right into, hopelessly stuck. In gooey mud, I'd still rather have open diffs and 33"s than locked diffs with smaller tires. Some of my success may have been attributed to his lack of experience, but the difference after I upgraded was night and day. If I had to do it again, I'd still go lift/tires before lockers.

Sure I sometimes have to fight a little bit to get out of a pinch, but I always get out. My brother's stock Rubi would just dig a pit and I'd have to pull him out.

Now he's up to the same lift/tire combo as me, and he has a bit of an edge with his lockers. Still, I can get through anything he can, just sometimes with a bit more effort.

In my experience, lift/tires are more valuable than lockers.

Comment

Well, sounds like the lift is winning. With the lift I was planning on doing Tech 1 rock crawler black rims, 15X8 B.S.3.75 and some 33x12.5R15's now the question becomes which tires to use. I know this question has been asked else where. so I'm not expecting responses on tires. i have the stock gear ratios in the diffs 4.10in the front and 4.11 in the rear so i sould still have enough power to turn them without too much struggle. I do hope to change my bumper, i bought it with the tubes on it. once the lift is done im gonna do some work on the engine, snorkel, 62mm tb, tb spacer, and exhaust, etc...

Thanx guys

Comment

31x10.50 M/Ts and an aussie locker in the front

Comment

Originally posted by kupe
                            Find some used 33's, put some 1 3/4" spacers, rear lock-right, and a winch.
                            Took the words right out of my fingers!!!

Do exactly that, wheel it, get used to it and build from there.

Comment

Originally posted by happycamper
                              Took the words right out of my fingers!!!

Do exactly that, wheel it, get used to it and build from there.
                              how exactly he is going to stuff 33's into a 1 3/4 lift is beyond me.

personally, I would do:
                              the aussie in the front
                              1 3/4 BB from rubicon express
                              1in body lift
                              1in motor mount lift
                              32 in muds

I dont think your going to enjoy running 33's with 4.11's and a 4 banger. that is bad news for highway driving, and worse news for power.

the set-up i just posted is an ideal first step IMO and would be the way I would do it if i was starting over with a fresh jeep. Also wont kill your wallet either (under 1g) and wont have to worry about vibs or any $$$$$ accessories

-Lou

Comment

Working...
                              X