X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• radiator leaks

My '01' 4cyl leaks antifreeze. Doesnt leak alot. I haven't filled the radiator or res. since I have owned it. I took it my mechanic and he said that it is common with plastic radiators where the top and the bottom are sealed with silicone. Because of the cold weather the silicone shrinks, but when it is warmed up or in summer the silicone expands and it doesnt leak. So he put "stop leak" in. The water pump and etc. are fine, temp. gauge is at the same point since I have owned it. Does any1 else have something like this going on? It drives me insane.

Theres a couple threads on this, Ours leaked in the same place. Replace your radiator it will only get worse.

Comment

My plastic radiator exploded on me last summer. I have never seen this happen before where the top half just split wide open. Luckily I had just turned into my driveway when it happened. I replaced it with a all metal one with no problems yet. Replace yours before it strands you.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikester
        My plastic radiator exploded on me last summer. I have never seen this happen before where the top half just split wide open. Luckily I had just turned into my driveway when it happened. I replaced it with a all metal one with no problems yet. Replace yours before it strands you.
        My first car was a 66 Mercury Comet, got it in 86. The top of the radiator blew off on the way to school one cold January morning in 87. Pretty sure it was the original radiator, and probably didn't have enough anti-freeze in it, either. Replaced it with a 67 Mustang rad., got a few extra ponies from that 'mod'. (heehee)

In my experience, stop-leak don't do sh!t for a plastic radiator. I would definately replace it.

Comment

do all yj and tj jeeps have plastic radiadors?

Comment

My 98 Sahara was also leaking from the top of the radiator at the plastic seam. Why do they make them out of plastic? No idea. It may last for years--It may not. It wasn't that difficult to change it. I ordered mine from the Radiator Barn.com. Just a stock replacement but all Metal!!

Comment

Originally posted by battlecross
              do all yj and tj jeeps have plastic radiadors?
              Probably, can't say for sure. I still have a plastic one in mine. It is not the original though, looked like it was recently replaced before I bought the jeep.

Comment

YJ Radiator

The 91 Renegade is METAL, solid hard (crackable) metal. You can weld it. its made of METAL!!! Plastic? What in Gods name are u talking about? Surely somebody is pulling somebodys leg! Plastic, u can't keep hot water in plastic, it gets SOFT!

Comment

Time for a new rediator. Go with an afrter market one those plastic radiators really suck.

Comment

I have the same problem ever sense it got cold here. But its not leaking enough to add any.

Comment

I have the same leak going on......enough do drive me insane....I been talking to some garages around here and they can't be recored.....i new must be baught...........i'm buying a all metal in the spring..!!!!!

Comment

DO NOT USE STOPLEAK!!!! I used some and ended up having to replace the radiator and thermostat. Antifreeze leaked everywhere, spewing out the overflow, almost overheating because it gummed up the thermostat. I replaced mine with a 3 row and it keeps the jeep a few degrees cooler. I should have just added antifreeze and replace it all this summer but NO I tried to save $$ by spending $3.50 on stopleak. Needless to say it was a xmas expense I was not counting on. HO!HO!HO!

Comment

Working...
                        X