X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• throw out bearing help

hey fellas. my 91 6cyl 5spd makes a wierd i guess you'd call it a vibrating noise sometimes. i'm pretty sure its the throw out bearing. how hard is this to change? soughly how much will it cost for parts? will i need to bleed the clutch afterwards?

been there

hey, Well you will have to drop the tranny and replace it the bearing- if that is what it is. I recommend a tranny jack- support the tranfer case, take off the belly plate get the jack under there and secured to the tranny. If the clutch feels soft you will have to bleed the clutch after you get it back together-but it is pretty simple, there is a bleeder nipple under there and have somebody apply pressure to the pedal , open the bleeder and when it is solid fluid squirting out with no air just tighten it back up. The hardest part for me was wrestling the tranny back up into position and getting the shaft to line back up and go in. It's a good weekend job. good luck

Comment

i would make absolutely sure it's the throwout before changing it. it's not difficult, but it's a PITA.

Comment

whats a good way to make sure its the throw out bearing? there any sure proof tests?

Comment

If Youre doing the job and dropping the tranny, go ahead and replace the pressure plate and clutch. No biggie, the fix kit will come with the alignment tool and can be done in a day. just make sure you have some help that day and all the tools for the job. A good jack will aid in the removal/installation of the tranny. Yoy'll get some busted knuckles but it will get done

Comment

does it go away when you push the clutch in a freewheel? throw out is like 50 or 60 bucks, and if it's bad i'd replace the clutch, pressure plate and pilot bearing too.

Comment

so i should replace the pressure plate, clutch, flywheel, and pilot bearing also? i was told by the dealer that the throw out bearing cant be replaced by itself, i have to get a whole new slave cylinder with throw out bearing permanently attached to it. any truth to this?

Comment

First, you really only want to dorp this stuff if you have to so...Id change it all at once or you may get really good at pulling your tcase and tranny.

Second the surefire way to tell if it's your throwout is to put it nuetral: does it make the noise (Y/N)?

Push the clutch in: does it make the noise (Y/N)?

The throwout bearing is only under load when the clutch pedal is pushed. A failing bearing will squeel, grind or whine while the pedal is pushed. If your jeep is making noises other than these conditions it's more than likely something else. Theres also the failure where the springs in your plate are shot and can rattle.

Comment

it sounds more like a rattling sound. buts its pretty loud to be springs i would think. i'll check later today to see exactly when it makes the noise. it does it sometimes when i drive, while other times it doesnt. i've also noticed it seems to make a whining noise while i'm on the gas pedal that goes away when i let off the gas

Comment

Originally posted by rebelBullDawg32
                    so i should replace the pressure plate, clutch, flywheel, and pilot bearing also? i was told by the dealer that the throw out bearing cant be replaced by itself, i have to get a whole new slave cylinder with throw out bearing permanently attached to it. any truth to this?
                    Yep I just replaced mine. Not that hard to do.

Comment

Working...
                    X