X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1975 CJ5

I am restoring a 1975 CJ5.... I cannot find any after market side panels for this year... Does anyone know where I can find these? Will the side panels from 1976 to 1983 fit? They seem to be readily available....

Check the JC Whitney catalouge or go to a web site called Collins brothers(something like that) they have alot of side replacement panels. If you cant find the web site. Look in JPMagazine Dec or Jan Issue theres info in there for the Collins brothers stuff.

Comment

Jeepgj: Thanks for the reply.... I have looked in JCWhitney and have already checked with Collins Brothers... they are the ones that told me the 76 to 83 panels would not fit on the 72 to 75 CJ5.... I was curious if anyone had attempted to make these panels fit... if so, what type of problems did they run into?

Comment

In hindsight, I wish I wasn't restoring a '75. If you look in ANY parts catalog for Jeeps, 99% of the stuff is made for 1976 and up!

If I could go back in time 17 years (Yes, this project began 17 yrs ago, NOT a typo) I'd tell my Dad to do a 76!

Comment

From everything I have read the 72-75's are the red headded stepchildren of the Jeep. That was a big transitional period for them. Round about the time they traded hands from Kaiser to AMC. I would stay away from them, but I have you checked 4wd's vintage section. The other place you could try is Willy's Overland, they sell a lot of stuff for all the older Jeeps. Good luck.

Comment

Scrambler,
            It is just my luck that I got a "redheaded stepchild"... Even though I did purchase this 75 CJ5... The price was right and it is all there... The rockerpanels are a little rusty and the floor pans need to be fixed... Other than that, I have had little problem finding parts.... It has been good therapy to tear it apart and put it back together... Other then the test drive, I haven't drove it much... scared the pewaddin out of the little wifey and that was fun... hope to be on the road in the near future, with or without the floor and rockerpanels being fixed.... I guess I will keep trying to locate these panels. Thanks for the direction in which to take...

Comment

Originally posted by scrambler013
              From everything I have read the 72-75's are the red headded stepchildren of the Jeep.
              I don't know about that- 72-75 came with 30 spline, centered Dana 44s in the rear, were the first to have Saginaw steering, and open knuckle Dana 30 front axles. The smallest engine available was the 232 inline 6, a much better engine than the F-Head 4cyl. and the largest- the sought after 304. Other than the skinny springs and somewhat weak unboxed frame, (actually a benefit anywhere there is salt or mud that can collect inside a boxed frame) I consider it one of the best CJs to start off with!!

Comment

Working...
              X