X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grinding in the transfer case

i have a 2000 tj and i was wheelin just the other day and i started hearing a squeeling noise so i took it out of 4 wheel drive and it stopped but noe when i try to put it into 4 low it will grind before enguaging same if i put it from 4 low to 4 high.. any ideas what it could be or do i have to replace my whole transfer case

ok, now... does it just grind a little bit before it engauges? or does it grind all the time when in 4wd? and do you have it lifted? sye kit or just a tcase drop?

i had an issue with mine, it would grind when in 4L and is 4H once i hit the gas.. but was fine in 2 wheel drive.. i messed with the linkage to see if the driveshaft was going in all the way, which that wasnt the case so i ended up pulling the tcase and putting a new one in.. had that one in a week, went wheeling and it started doing the same thing.. now i have mine lifted and just a tcase drop.. and i believe that the angle on the driveshaft is tearing up the rear bearing in the case and then taking everything else out.. i mean i could be wrong with my assumption.. now i am down another trasfer case, and i am going to do the whole SYE kit and driveshaft so it doesnt happen again.. but i am hoping that i can salvage a transfer case and build one out of the two i have, if they arent messed up too bad..

Comment

Originally posted by jeepjunkie View Post
      i have a 2000 tj and i was wheelin just the other day and i started hearing a squeeling noise so i took it out of 4 wheel drive and it stopped but noe when i try to put it into 4 low it will grind before enguaging same if i put it from 4 low to 4 high.. any ideas what it could be or do i have to replace my whole transfer case
      are you shifting in and out of 4 low while the Jeep is stopped and in neutral?

Comment

Working...
      X