X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirt track racing

I am looking to get into dirt track racing. I can get my hands on a vw for free is this a good car. I will be entering the 4 cyclender class for now. If the vw is no good for racing what will be. I dont want a v8 yet. This is my first time racing so that is why i want to enter the 4 cyclender class.

Why don't you dirt track your vette?

Comment

I am serious, about this. Is the vw good or no, or should i buy something else.

Comment

There's a local 1/3 mile dirt track that does "Challenger Class" racing. Basically you take a street car, knock out the windows/glass and weld in a cage. The rest is optional.

From what I've seen, the Ford Probe GTs do VERY well.

Comment

Originally posted by hotroddenal
          I am serious, about this. Is the vw good or no
          Have you never seen "Herbie the luv bug", vw's go anywhere!!

Comment

do it!

Comment

You could race you jeep if the back axel wasn't all screwed up from pretending to be in a race car when you were really in a jeep.

Comment

VW bug? I'd reinforce the Fenders on it befor they cut the tire in the first lap, after some contact. I'd look in to a front wheel drive car if your starting out. I drove quarter midgets the proceeded to outlaws befor I joined the army and drit tracks aren't like getting in to a field and sliding around you have to control the slide and watch out for the other idiot who just wants to spin you out to get in front.
                Other than the bugs fenders I'd say go for it, and don't rip the fenders straigh off cause that would just cause you to break stuff when you contacted it. Free cars in dirt raceing end up being money holes, worse than jeeps I would say.
                G/l if you go for it.

Comment

I am looking to get into dirt track racing. I can get my hands on a vw for free is this a good car. I will be entering the 4 cyclender class for now. If the vw is no good for racing what will be. I dont want a v8 yet. This is my first time racing so that is why i want to enter the 4 cyclender class.
                  First thing you need to do is find out the track's rules for the 4 cylinder class. The races I've been to, the 80's Mustangs w/ the 4 cyl are the top dogs. A VW bug doesn't have enough weight on the front end & will push ridiculously badly in the turns.

Thing is the guys that run the 4 cylinder class probably put more money in their cars than the guys who run pure stock V8. Best thing you could do is attend several races, and buy pit passes. Watch & see which cars are consistanly winning. Walk around the pits & talk to people. Be carefull though. Alot of times, it's just a little mod here and there that differentiates the leader from a mid pack racer. They are very protective of their little secrets, so don't just walk up & start nosing around in their car. It's a sure way to get your *** kicked.

Comment

Oh yea I forgot to mention that this is not a vw bug that i am getting, It is an 1986 VW jetta.

Comment

Oh yea I forgot to mention that this is not a vw bug that i am getting, It is an 1986 VW jetta.
                      What cars are they running at your local track? What do they allow? What is winning?

Comment

Originally posted by EvilTwin v2
                        What cars are they running at your local track? What do they allow? What is winning?
                        My friends dad is supposed to be getting me some info on that today that telles me what kinds of cars race there and what kind wins the most. I already printed out the rule sheet on the 4 banger class, and the rules are really strict, no performance up grades allowed, no duale overhead cam engines, no rotary engine, no rear engines, no turbos, or superchargers, no v-tech's, no preformance air filters, no ram air intakes, no cowl induction air cleaners, and ignition system must be stock oem.

Comment

My friends dad is supposed to be getting me some info on that today that telles me what kinds of cars race there and what kind wins the most. I already printed out the rule sheet on the 4 banger class, and the rules are really strict, no performance up grades allowed, no duale overhead cam engines, no rotary engine, no rear engines, no turbos, or superchargers, no v-tech's, no preformance air filters, no ram air intakes, no cowl induction air cleaners, and ignition system must be stock oem.
                          Those are actually pretty decent rules for a beginner class. I've seen 4 cyl classes in which people have put thousands in the engines & they're as fast as the street stock cars.

Comment

By any chance does anybody know what the stock horsepower of a 4 banger mustang is.

Comment

By any chance does anybody know what the stock horsepower of a 4 banger mustang is.
                              You continue to amaze me with every post.

Comment

Working...
                              X