X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-case drop and exhaust

When I drop my T-case do I need to worry about the exhaust down pipe that is routed and mounted to the cross member next to the T-case?

Matt

NOPE. it should be fine.

Comment

Alright, next question. I'm told that when the tranny mount goes bad it will allow the pipe to move and cause the exhaust manifold to crack. Is this true? I'm asking because I've replaced my manifold 3 times now and the tranny mount is in great condition. I can't figure out what is causing this problem. Any ideas on what's causing this to happen? or am I just lucky enough to be the one cursed with the gremlins that keep this happening so that you guys can go on without experiencing the joys of replacing one of these.

Matt...

Comment

good questions I have no clue to that one. I haven't heard of that one atleast.

Comment

jdogg you've got a 2000 right? Keep an eye on you exhaust manifold. I first started having trouble on my 99 at about 55K. Ever since it started I can't seem to get it fixed. I'm beginning to think that I'm cursed to replace it every other year or so now.

Matt...

Comment

instead of replacing it, why not just get the crack welded shut. seems I've heard of ALOT of cracked exhaust manifolds (usualy older ones though) and the general concencus is to just weld the bugger back to a sealed state.

Comment

I've tired welding it. Doesn't work. The crack is in such an area between one of the exhaust pipes that you can't get in to weld it. About the only way is to seal it up with a piece of scrap welded over the top of it creating a little chamber so to say. Usually this works for a few miles but eventually it cracks out as-well.

I'm wondering if there is something that is torquing the manifold around, hence the bad tranny mount etc. I've checked all my bolts and everything is always torqued right. This has got me buffaloed.

Matt...

Comment

Have you thought about a whole new system headers and all? Thats one upgrade I would like to do but don't have the money for it at this point. It's on the to do litst thats for sure.

Comment

Actually I've gone that route. I put on a set of Doug Thorley tri Y and they sucked. They lasted a whole 3 months before cracking and rusting out.

I've got to have something underneath that is causing things to torque around, giving me movement and causing these cracks. Any ideas?

Matt

Comment

not really I was looking at my setup and the only thing I can see is the hangers that the system is on. it doesnt touch anything else. that is strange that you keep craking the manifold and the header. You got me on this one.

Comment

Well...I think with tax $$$ I'm going to throw a taller lift on and redo all my exhaust except for my cat back sys. Hopefully this time I'll figure out what is causing all my problems.

Anyone out there ever run a set of clifford headers? I'm just curious as to how well they work and if Clifford really lives up to all the hype I've heard about them.

Matt

Comment

yo md.....ive been following this thread and thinking bout it........how are ur motor mounts?...are they kind of tight, and rigid.....are ur exhaust hangers flexible enough to allow the engine to move?....it could be an engine, trying to move a rigid exhaust?....just a thought

-goat

Comment

the goat has a very good point. I would look at that.

Comment

You know that is a damn good point. I haven't even thought to check out my motor mounts. I've chased every other freakin mounting point in the drive train and exhaust. :bang:

I completely overlooked the motor mounts. It could work the other way with some sloppy bad mounts as-well. I'll definitely give this a look over this weekend while I pull my o2 sensors to check if they're kaput.

Thanks for the great idea. :lol:

Matt

Comment

no prob...

-goat

Comment

Working...
                              X