X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 304 w/ headers in a YJ

I just bought a 304 and a 435/205 combo to go in my YJ, so here's the questions
    has anyone done this??
    The 304 has fenderwell headers and I want to use them without totally butchering the engine compartment of my YJ or sacrificing the steering or my YJ in case the headers are too close to the steering rod from the steering wheel to the steering box, Now I don't know if there will be any issues with the steering or anything else I am just asking in case that there is a problem.
    One more question what type of slave cylinder did you use for the 435/205 combo, I would like to keep a slave cylinder instead of trying to make a Z bar and clutch linkages.
    I can fab the engine mounts to the frame and I have the engine mounts from the CJ frame and the rubber engine mounts from the CJ that's about all that I can think of for now.

Thanks for any help or suggestions, James

i'm not sure if it's been done, but i'd never understand WHY it would be done. it would be so much easier/cheaper to go SBC for so many reasons. even if you were given the 304, it would still be better to sell it and go SBC in a YJ.

the yj frame is wider than the CJ so clearance of the headers shouldn't be a problem. i'm not sure about the slave cyl question so i'll leave it.

Comment

WHY??
      My first response to that is that almost everyone is doing the sbc conversion and I like to do things in my own style,
      and keep the Jeep A Jeep even though I am using a Ford Tran/T-Case.

Second is the sound of a 304 is very distinct, nothing else has the rumble of a 304 and I like that rumble, I'm not doing it for the power or torque just mainly sound but a little more power did influence my decision.

Third I was about ready to burn my YJ, if I had to try and fix that damn carb one more time, so I opted to go 304 instead of torching the jeep, because when I lose my temper I really would have torched it and watched it burn, I would have been sorry later but at that given moment I would have been relieved that I didn't have to worry about the damn carb anymore, sure I could have bought a new carb and probably cured it all but I have this philosophy, if I can't fix it then it needs burnt and I can only work on my own junk so many times.

and I got a real good deal on the 304/435/205 combo alot cheaper than what I have already invested while rebuilding my 258 and buying a new cam and bearing and lifters.

Comment

Check with Advanced Adapters. If it can be installed in a Jeep they know how to do it. They may be able to give you some advise on the clutch linkage. (I think you may be stuck with either what came on your tranny or a custom, fully hydraulic throwout bearing but maybe not.)

Comment

YJ AMC V8 swap

Lets here it for Rambler powered Jeeps!!!!!!!
          I have a Bowtie CJ, but my next one is going to be AMC powered
          This may be the info you need:

All CJ's have the engine/trans/t-case offset 1" to the drivers side for from driveshaft clearence. Their t-cases are pass.side drop
          ALL YJ, TJ's and XJ's have the engine/trans/t-case offset 1" to the passenger side for driveshaft clearence. Their t-cases are drivers side drop
          Since Fords are drivers side t-case drops you would normally want to leave the drivetrain as a passenger side offset. But you may be able to shift everything over to drivers side to use the headers. But that 205 is a big t-case for a Jeep and you may be stuck there. I don't know of any company making AMC V8 YJ fenderwell headers. LOL

Comment

isnt' the 205 a full-time case? i used to have a 79 ford truck that had a full time case and i'd swear it was the 205, but it was a long time ago. i rebuilt the planetary gear and made it part time. the shifter knob looked like this:

H-lock
            H
            N
            L
            L-lock

Comment

Originally posted by FUBAR
              isnt' the 205 a full-time case? i used to have a 79 ford truck that had a full time case and i'd swear it was the 205, but it was a long time ago. i rebuilt the planetary gear and made it part time. the shifter knob looked like this:

H-lock
              H
              N
              L
              L-lock
              That's the shift pattern for the NP203, not sure if it's the same for the 205. I can't find the pattern for the 205, but it can be identified by the 2 shift-rails linking the shifter to the top of the case. Plus, it's gear-driven, not chain-driven. The 203 is a HUGE cast-iron monster, the 205 is a smaller cast-iron monster, and the 208 is split-case aluminum.
              The nP208 shift pattern is:
              4lo
              neutral
              4hi
              2hi

Comment

Originally posted by kudzu69
                That's the shift pattern for the NP203, not sure if it's the same for the 205. I can't find the pattern for the 205, but it can be identified by the 2 shift-rails linking the shifter to the top of the case. Plus, it's gear-driven, not chain-driven. The 203 is a HUGE cast-iron monster, the 205 is a smaller cast-iron monster, and the 208 is split-case aluminum.
                The nP208 shift pattern is:
                4lo
                neutral
                4hi
                2hi
                There is no possible way the 205 is smaller than the 203. My NP205 out of my 435/205 combo has to weigh at least 230 pounds by itself. The shift pattern for the ford 205 is

(Closest to firewall)
                4-low
                N
                4hi
                2hi (closest towards the center console)

The 205 is part time, not full time. The only downside to it is the sucky gearing in it, at 1.96-1, (basically 2-1). It is also clocked kinda akward.

The 304 is a good swap for an older yj with the 258 in it because almost everything electrical plugs in. Same starters, same bellhousing pattern, etc. It's a way easier swap than a SBC. Run a HEI in the 304 and call it a day!

Comment

Originally posted by LeadFoot
                  The 304 is a good swap for an older yj with the 258 in it because almost everything electrical plugs in. Same starters, same bellhousing pattern, etc. It's a way easier swap than a SBC. Run a HEI in the 304 and call it a day!
                  My YJ has the 258 in it for now, I am doing the same swap as you did only I am using a 304, and it is a 78 model 304 from a CJ, and it has the electronic distributor in it also, when I picked up the 304/435/205 combo, I got everything from the starter, alternator, clutch/pressure plate/ throw out bearing bellhousing fork for the clutch, I even got the fan on the front of the engine, he even gave me the box that bolts to the firewall that plugs into the distributor and the motor mounts for the engine and the ones that bolt to the frame of a CJ.
                  I got it all from him for this swap, everything except for a slave cylinder for the clutch asembly.

Thanks, for any and all advice for making this swap go as easy as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by LeadFoot
                    There is no possible way the 205 is smaller than the 203. My NP205 out of my 435/205 combo has to weigh at least 230 pounds by itself.
                    I've worked on them both. Weight-wise they may be pretty close, but the Chevy 203 IS physically larger than the Chevy 205. The size difference is due to the 203 being driven by a bigazz chain and the 205 being gear-driven. I would think the Ford 205 would be about the same size as the Chevy 205, but I could be wrong.
                    As far as low-range goes, the 203 sux just as bad.

Comment

Working...
                    X