X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a little help

my son is looking at 85 cj7 with a 258 straight 6 and a sr4 tranny. i have'nt seen it yet, and i was wondering is there anything i should look for. and whats the good and bad with this year. he's asking $4500.00. i no cj5's and v8's, thanks in advance. mikey p.s he's got the jeep bug, he's been bit proud dad.......

I thought the SR4 was for a 4 cyl.

Comment

Check out my link below. I will be updating it soon. Hey Mikey, you could always give him yours and start all over again with another one.
      Last edited by redtail; 05-17-2007, 09:08 AM.

Comment

As far as structure they have the same problem areas.
        For engine look for leaks down in the tranny(removing the inspection plate would be great).

Comment

It dont really matter if anything is wrong with it. Daddy has already proven he can fix anything!

Comment

For that price I wouldn't expect to sink much into it to make it a daily driver, if any. Check for frame cracks around all the spring hangers and gearbox brackets. I would think rust would be a big concern in your neck of the woods.

As others have stated, you shouldn't have any troubles repairing/patching. The question would be more of "is it feasable at the price they are asking?".

Comment

Originally posted by redtail
              Check out my link below. I will be updating it soon. Hey Mikey, you could always give him yours and start all over again with another one.
              give him your's, thats funny i'll make sure it's a sr4... my son said it has a straight six, after tearing my rig apart i've learned what to look for, gear box cracks. i'll check the inspection plate. if it's sound with minamal rust and runs good. thats an ok price. thanks mikey

Comment

Look at the axles you may get lucky with one of the dana 44's in the rear as late models got that. The tranny should be a 4 speed t170 series or maybe a t18. Transfer case should be the dana 300. You know cj's with rust the usual places and look for holes in the frame, take a screw driver you shouldn't be able to push through the frame.
                For all of the work that you could do with it or teach him to do with it is amazing. Maybe a tuffcj7?
                Good luck I have a 5 but always likes the 7's.
                T

Comment

He knows

What ever he buys, DAD will make it right. This could be a positive expience for you and your son.

Comment

Originally posted by T's79CJ5
                    Look at the axles you may get lucky with one of the dana 44's in the rear as late models got that. The tranny should be a 4 speed t170 series or maybe a t18. Transfer case should be the dana 300. You know cj's with rust the usual places and look for holes in the frame, take a screw driver you shouldn't be able to push through the frame.
                    For all of the work that you could do with it or teach him to do with it is amazing. Maybe a tuffcj7?
                    Good luck I have a 5 but always likes the 7's.
                    T

d44s only came in late 86 models. the tranny is likely a SR4/T4, not a t18 since they quit putting t-18s in CJs in 79.

here's a couple links for you to brush up on.
                    http://www.jeeptech.com/axle/
                    http://www.jeeptech.com/trans/

Comment

Good call I couldnt remeber when they quit putting that one in!

Comment

thanks you guy's, i just got home from work and my son said the guy sold today . he has another prospect, it's a 78 cj5 with a 304 and t-150. it's on oahu, i had my freind go and look at it. he said it fired right up, and had some torqe it had a some oil on the output shaft area. he said the body was in pretty good shape (original) he thinks somebodt might have wired it up wrong, he said the oil gauge was pegged all the way to the one side like the wires where backwards, does that correct. all and all he said it ran pretty good it has power steering and power brake's, the guy said it need's an oil pan gasget. he's asking $4900.00 what do you think. thanks mikey and cody

Comment

Buy more CJ's Mikey!

You keep me busy!

Comment

Originally posted by BustaBizz
                            Buy more CJ's Mikey!

You keep me busy!
                            ha ha lol you don't mis a thing bryan

Comment

well I have all the info you need on a 78

Comment

Working...