X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• axle swap & SOA w/ 4" lift qeustions

hey guys i have a 95 yj and am looking to do some major mods. i put some bucks into it to stick on a 4" lift steering componets etc. i picked up a chevy 350 and th400 to stick in and am planning on using a NP205 once i find one. here's what i'm looking to do.

I got a 14 bolt rear and 10 bolt front with the engine.. freebies, i know they're better then my dana 35/30's so i'm looking to swap em in here's the question, anyone running a stock (not cut) 10 bolt axle in the front? i'm looking to find out how wide it is in comparision to the stock jeep axle & if the jeep will look stupid with such a wide front axle. also how much the tires will stick out past the fenders?

the second question is since i'm swapping axles now would be the time to do a SOA, i already have a 4" lift and my concern is being tippy. this jeep will be a 2nd vehicle but i'm looking to run it 50/50 - on/off road so i want to be street legal, i'll probably stick 35 or 37 x 12.50's under it. anyone got pics with a set up like this?

Typical SOA will give you about 5-6" of lift (uisng stock springs). (2 times the spring pack thickness + the axle tube thickness). You can fit 35's with just a little rubbing. Definitely don't think that you want to go SOA with the lift springs - you'll be way too high.

Comment

I wouldn't. I am about to do a 8.8 swap and I also have the choice to do an SOA. I have heard horror stories about jeeps that high. I have 3.5 inches of lift with oneinch extention shackels and about to do a 1 inch body lift and I am more than satisified with all of my flex and so on right now. So with your 4 inch lift just get some sort of body lift and some extention shackels if you really want more lift. Just my 2 cents.
      Ferrell

Comment

Originally posted by 87YJ
        Typical SOA will give you about 5-6" of lift (uisng stock springs). (2 times the spring pack thickness + the axle tube thickness). You can fit 35's with just a little rubbing. Definitely don't think that you want to go SOA with the lift springs - you'll be way too high.

...you were saying....

Comment

You'll be fine with full widths, I wouldn't do it with stock width axles. Thats about 11in lift. I like being at 6inches with my SOA. I still got great ground clearance with my flat skid. If I wanna go bigger than 35s, I'll just cut more. My XJ is on full widths with 3" lift and 35s. It took a lot of cutting but its super stable off camber. But... I like a low Center of Gravity (COG). Both setups work if you learn to drive a taller Jeep.

Comment

you might be high, but not too high. with full width you'll get a lot of stability.

Comment

I'm running spring over with stock springs and 35's. Does great. I'm about to crack it open again and swap in new axles with 38's. With your full widths you'll be alot more stable. And yes you can run 4 inch springs, just look at Michael's. I've seen it in person and needless to say not only is it SAWEET!! but it performs great. It'll just be a whole new monster compared to what your running now.

Comment

Originally posted by FUBAR
                you might be high, but not too high. with full width you'll get a lot of stability.
                Stability isn't really a huge issue, I'd like to drop down just for the simple fact that my 38.5s look like 33s and theres no need to be lifted that high.

Comment

Working...
                X