Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the aviation community, we would say you need a top overhaul. It's an afternoon procedure that costs less than a $100...well, used to cost less than that. It seems to me you may be suffering from low oil pressure at idle, and your lifters aren't staying full. New pump and new lifters/push rods/rings/hone/lapped valves and you are ready for the races!

Someone will add something I forgot.

Comment

Originally posted by 47driver View Post
      in the aviation community, we would say you need a top overhaul. It's an afternoon procedure that costs less than a $100...well, used to cost less than that. It seems to me you may be suffering from low oil pressure at idle, and your lifters aren't staying full. New pump and new lifters/push rods/rings/hone/lapped valves and you are ready for the races!

Someone will add something i forgot.
      uuuuuuuuuuugggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh sigh!!!

Comment

Been there did that!

This happened to my TJ at 80,000 miles. part of the piston broke off because of the wobbling. I've attached the picture. you will need to drop the engine, re-hone the cylinders (.30 over), replace piston(s), etc. basically i ended up with $1200 from a shop over-haul.

Not pretty, but if the jeep is worth it, do it. Otherwise dump and run.

Sorry for the bad news, but i've been there and done that.

ugh!
        Last edited by bigdaddy; 08-30-2010, 09:42 AM. Reason: wrong picture.

Comment

if this knocking noise is like the one in my TJ that is normal for the 4 banger. My fathers 97 did it right off the show room floor and my mothers 98 also did it both were brand new. My 98 has always done it. it is just a noise you live with. I put lucas oil stablizer in and it really helps and almost gets rid of it for a while but it slowly comes back. any of those jeep ever lost power or pulling anything apart never showed a problem either it is just some rattle/knocking noise that you just get used to. Almost like the 2nd gear problem with the manuals. my oil pressure stays at normal as I am heading down the road and then drops to very low when I come to a stop or at idle it always has and so did theirs, it is just normal, turn the radio up add some lucas every oil change and you will be good just my two cents.

Comment

I have a similar ping/tick on my 2002 TJ, it has a 4.0L I-6 in it....do you guys think it is the same problem as what BigAL had?
            BTW...did you fix it?

Comment

Originally posted by bjhumplik View Post
              I have a similar ping/tick on my 2002 TJ, it has a 4.0L I-6 in it....do you guys think it is the same problem as what BigAL had?
              BTW...did you fix it?
              Hi. i dont think mine is slap. I think it has something to do with rod bearing or something. Not happy. I didnt fix it. I am kinda stuck, not sure what the next step is. dont want to really do a new motor. dont have the money for it. So i am basically screwed.

Comment

Big Al,
                Have you tried adding some Marvel Mystery Oil to your engine? I added a few ounces to my fueltank and 1/2 quart at oil change and the ticking has subsided, it occurs only about 1/2 the time I start the engine...must be ralated to the start cycle or timing...weird.
                - Hump

Comment

Working...
                X