X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing a boat???

Does anyone have any experience towing a boat with a Wrangler good or bad? I am thinking about buying a 20-22 foot boat and was curious if the Jeep would handle it. I have a 99 Sport with a 4 inch lift. Thanks for your input.
    Last edited by Woodson76; 08-01-2005, 11:08 AM.

It really depends on the boat and the Jeep. There are 20 foot open boats that don't weight that much that a 6 cyl auto jeep may be able to tow for short distances. There are some 22 foot boats that weight over 7,000 lbs with trailer that would be dangerous to tow with any short wheelbase vehicle. A Jeep with a 6cyl is only rated to tow around 2,000 llbs. Most 20 foot boats far exceed that weight.

Comment

I tow my 15ft fishing boat with my 4 banger.This boat is fiberglass and has live wells, anchors and all the normal boat stuff plus a 28hp Johnson.. Theres not a lot of power but I keep up with traffic.

Comment

my buddy tows an 18ft boston whaler with his rubicon. I wouldnt say its safe, but he has no problems on local streets.

-Lou

Comment

A couple of questions you need to ask yourself.... engine?....body or suspention lift? type of hitch? and mainly, weight of the boat...if it is much over 2000 lbs, you're beyond what the jeep is designed to tow. Can it be done...absolutely...can it be done safely??...that is a decision that only you cam make.....Bob.

Comment

I have towed a 15ft open bow fishing boat probably 2000 to 3000 pounds with my 99 6cyl. I can keep up with traffic but really dont like the power and the way it rides and handles.

Comment

a 15 foot open fishing boat and even an 18 foot whaler are both considerably lighter than the 20 to 22 foot boat he originally asked about. I 15 foot open boat should be ok (at least off highway) an 18 foot whaler marginal (under 45 just to be safe) but a 22 foot cuddy or mid cabin.... not unless you hate your Jeep and have a fully paid life insurance policy.

Comment

I pull our familys bass boat once and a while its 18 feet long, i have also pulled 3500 worth of stuff in a dump tralyer, thats a 6cyl, it went slow you were not going any were fast and you shure were not going to stop fast. Just be care full lissen to what your jeep is teling you, slow donw for instance. and good luck.

Comment

I don't recommend it,
                  I've had a 14 foot utility trailer put me on 2 wheels in my jeep,
                  it was a sharp curve, and I was going about 25MPH,
                  I got lucky that I didn't end up on my top.
                  I sold that trailer after that, and vowed to never pull anything heavy after that,

jeeps aren't made for towing heavy trailers!

Comment

Towing can be fun...

You've heard of the tail wagging the dog? You probably don't want the boat towing the jeep either!

Assume a class I hitch: then the max towing weight is 2K pounds and the max tongue weight is 200 pounds. To measure tongue weight see the following: http://www.rverscorner.com/articles/tongueweight.html

A TJ is 13 ' long and you want to tow something that is almost twice as long? Wait till you have to back that puppy up -- it looks like it ought to be easy, but things ain't always what they ought to be.

So where are you towing it? Across the yard? -- No problem, assuming it's flat and not to muddy. Across the street down the block (in the middle of the night with an empty street so if things go awry at 5-10 mph, you got only your underwear to clean up.) -- No problem.

Anything else IMHO, is looking for trouble 'right here in River City'. You've seen/heard about jack-knifed trailer trucks? Think of you in the wrangler as the truck cab and the boat as the truck trailer sliding down the highway on a one way ride to unpleasantness in the "jack-knifed" position -- giving the prerequisite 'jeep wave' of course. And a 4" lift, too. I'm guessing that should add an interesting twist to the perfomance equation.

Personally, I can notice the difference in the stopping performance (my TJ's got no lift, 30" tires and big ol' 4-wheel disk brakes, too) when I've just loaded up me, the Mrs. and the stuff we take to Conneticut on a long weekend. I've got a class I hitch and a Everthere Carrier and I love it. I've towed 5 x 10 ft trailers (loaded carefully) with ease several short distances.

But, it ain't a Silverado or a Ford 150 with a class V hitch, it's a little old jeep that does jeep sorta things! You like facts and figures, try http://www.putnamhitch.com/Trailer%2...hitchclass.htm for hitch classes and recommended towing weights, etc.

Of course, it's your life and like everyone else has already commented, it's your decision.

Could be, I'm just getting too long in the tooth!

Comment

I agree with everything except the backing up. Jeeps are great for moving trailers around. They have a short wheelbase and when it comes to backing up that is an advantage.
                      They are just not good for driving down the road.

Comment

I agree with tj2go.... Anything over 2000lbs and twice the length of the jeep and your asking for big problems. not only will you need one hell of a hitch...it will need to be mounted very strong. i've seen class 1 and 2 hitches bend nicely. u'll need a 2" class 3 receiver at least and enough beef welded to the frame to make sure it doesnt bend the crap outta stuff. another thing is heat...towing a heavy boat with a jeep is really bad on the clutch and tranny....if u got an auto, you will need a cooler for sure.

stopping is a good point...YJs especially have crappy brakes to begin with. small discs in front and drums in back dont help... TJs aren't much better unless you got a D44 with discs in the rear. Wranglers just aren't designed with towing in mind at all.

Comment

my cj pulls trailers just fine. but i have leaf's all the way around. if you're pulling anything that is going to push the jeep, coils springs won't help. you may want to look into trailer brakes and live longer.

Comment

To hitch or not to hitch, that is...

Well now Unlimited,

I wasn't going to scare the crap out of Woodson76 with the truth about "enough beef welded to the frame to make sure it doesnt bend the crap outta stuff." You look at a hitch, you feel the heft of the hitch and you think "Nothing would bend that hunk of iron", but the truth is found in the biblical query "Can God make a rock, he can not lift?" Well, duh, an infinite lever arm moves any rock God doesn't want to lift if He says so, or something to that effect - I think I got an 'F' in Sunday school so maybe I'm too ecuminical about this. Anyway, amazing how you can take a piece of steel (a TJ has a 1-1\4 inch hitch, not a 2 inch hitch) and shmush it like a pretzel.

Reminds me of the video on 4wdrive.com where they're yanking a bling-bling out of the snow and they pulled the whole rear end of the car off at about the front of the rear tire. Made you grab your cajones which is what you need a very big pair of towing anything 20+ feet long with a TJ.

As for backin up, Penguin - Well you want the trailer to go left, so you turn the wheel in your left (could be your right now that I think about it) hand in the opposite of the natural direction it feels like it ought to go, so the cosine of the tangent of the dingle of the dangle goes the other way. My wife tells it better, but she does it in braille. Uh, could be I shouldn't of said that. Forget that, Penguin!
                            jblack's got the ticket! He's doing 25 MPH in a curve and you can see him thinking about that old Crosby line -- "First you say it, then you do it".
                            That's Bill Crosby, not David. David's smokin' what you need to be smokin' if you tow beyond your hitch class. But that's another religion!

Comment

Originally posted by tj2go
                              Well now Unlimited,

I wasn't going to scare the crap out of Woodson76 with the truth about "enough beef welded to the frame to make sure it doesnt bend the crap outta stuff." You look at a hitch, you feel the heft of the hitch and you think "Nothing would bend that hunk of iron", but the truth is found in the biblical query "Can God make a rock, he can not lift?" Well, duh, an infinite lever arm moves any rock God doesn't want to lift if He says so, or something to that effect - I think I got an 'F' in Sunday school so maybe I'm too ecuminical about this. Anyway, amazing how you can take a piece of steel (a TJ has a 1-1\4 inch hitch, not a 2 inch hitch) and shmush it like a pretzel.
                              I'd suggest www.raingler.com ... I use the Jeeperman frame tie-in kit along with a custom 2x5x3/16" bumper w/ a 2" reciever...course i got more wheelbase

Comment

Working...
                              X