X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeep 2.5 performance?!?!?!?!

hi i have a 1998 wrangler with the 2.5 inline-4 and i want to up the horse power and torgue on it i already have a cold air intake and a throttlebody spacer i there anything else i can do to up the power?

Swap it out for a V-8

Comment

Without a LOT of MAJOR addons and stuff the 2.5 is rather weak. You have already started and you can add better plug wires and a good exhaust system. All the little do dads add up but you still have a 4 banger. When mine runs I love it but right now it's in hiding to keep me from shooting it.

Comment

things you can do....

1. Find the coveted (and no longer produced) chrysler purple cam for that engine.

2. Ditch the engine driven fan and convert to an electric one.

3. Reprogram the fuel curve (either a performance chip or ecm reprograming)

4. Install larger Injectors (only works with a remaped fuel sys and exhaust and intake upgrades)

5. Regear the axles for more power at the wheels (gain bottom but loose top end)

6. MSD the ignition system (slight gains but realy noticable with larger injectors)

7. Run 92 octane gas (a commonly overlooked upgrade)

8. port polish and deck the heads (requires major skills and some cash)

9. Install a roots charger or turbo system (ok on the street, USELESS on the trails)

10. install an electric waterpump (would have to fab one since none are currently produced for that engine)

11. Fill it with 7 gallons of 90wt gear oil, install it in the back of the jeep for traction and throw a treefiddy under the hood
        Last edited by Ueland; 09-28-2005, 07:26 PM.

Comment

I love driving my 2.5 , my mod.s
          Electric fan, Opened end cone filter, Turbo City intake tube {jet hot coated], 4.0 T.B. [not bored out] 2 inch T.B. spacer, Shaved head , 180 degree thermostat, PaceSetter header, Flow Master 40, Plus 4 plugs, Scream in Demon coil. 10 mm wires

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostjeeper
            .............Opened end cone filter, Turbo City intake tube {jet hot coated]....
            Pssst... if unless you duct that filter out from under the hood, or induce ALOT of air into the engine bay, your just sucking hot air.....

Comment

Stop the madness! I can't tke it anymore! Stop buying AMC 2.5L jeeps and asking how to get power out of them. You can't! The best you can hope for is 15 HP on a good without spending more than the jeep is worth. Accept the fact that the 2.5L is a dog at best on the highway and throw a set of 4.88s in it and live with it. It's not going to get much better by throwing money at it.

Comment

My filter gets plenty of cool air thank you The Campbell Enterprise hood sees to that. With a good size space between it and the grill to boot.
                And I have 4;88's
                Plus my rig is not nose heavy
                Last edited by Ghostjeeper; 09-28-2005, 11:10 PM.

Comment

hey thanks for the info but i have one more question about dropping a 350 in my 98 wrangler is there a kit i can buy or do i have to make my own brackets?

Comment

people shouldn't use 2.5L and performance in the same sentence. heck u shouldn't use Jeep and "fast" or "speed" in the same sentence.

Comment

Really.
                      My H.O. 2.5 brings me much on and off road excitement

Comment

Yes it will give you the excitement....Jeep and excitement go together but not Jeep and speed. Two different world and I rather prefer the excitement.

Comment

Originally posted by bill692002
                          hey thanks for the info but i have one more question about dropping a 350 in my 98 wrangler is there a kit i can buy or do i have to make my own brackets?
                          Plenty of weld in kits on the market. Just check the 4wd catalog or call advanced adapters. Just remember that you will need to upgrade a lot of items in order to make a V8 reliable for anything other than mild street use. 1) tansmission (AX5 is toast behind an V 2) rear diff (stock D35 is a weak link) 3) Radiator. You will also need to fab up an exhaust system, at least from the Y pipe forward and I think you will need to modify your Tach if you want it to read accurately with the 8. Not to mention all the beer you will have to buy to get your friends to help and all the flowers you will have to buy your significant other for spending all those nights in the garage. Most guys that install the V8 swear by them.

Comment

I threw a K&N panel filter and DynoMax cat back system on mine and noticed more throttle response, more torque and about 2-3 MPG increase. All for under $200.

Comment

Jeep n Speed/Performance. My mom has 92 HO 4.0L, I used to drag that thing in H.S. to unknowing cruisers. I could beat any camaro, foreign sports cars, everything except a 5.0 mustang, those I could keep up with to 45. I was telling a friend that in Denny's once and a buddy of a buddy was there in his mustang and called me out that I was full of B.S. Proved him wrong and he paid up, That Jeep of my moms, stick of course, could thump off the line. I actually came across a quick shift for a 92 YJ once...can't believe somebody did that, but the speed off the line was unbelievable. I don't know my moms gears, soon I will as she's finally thinking of lifting it, but I can tell you there's no granny gears on that Jeep.

Thought you guys would like that bit of folk lore.

Comment

Working...
                              X