X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soft Top Advice

Even though spring came in this morning (I think it was officially 8a.m. in the east), it's raining in my homeland of PA, so the new soft top will have to stay layed out on my bed until the sun shines.

I bought a 95 YJ that was in pretty good shape, except that it had the original top, so the first thing I did was order a Bestop Replace-a-top.

What do you guys use to help preserve the zippers, and keep the windows from getting cloudy. I know not to try to wipe the windows off if they're dry, but that's about all I know.

And about how long does a top last?

TIA,

--Kevin

PS Happy Spring!!!!!!!!

As far as the zippers, I've heard alot of people rub wax(a candle) on them when they start gettin tight. this trick DOES work as I have tried it once or twice. Also if you use the zippers AOLT you may need to squeeze the zipper pull shut a tiny bit with a pair of pliers. this is a rare thing and you can usualy tell when you need to do it. The zipper will "jump track" so to speak (not come OFF the zipper itself)but it will stutter or jump foward without zipping or unzipping. hope that helps for the zippers.

As far as the windows go.. you have a few options. You can buy some plexi/plastic window cleaner which I'm sure you can get at www.4WD.com <shameless plug> or what I have always used it Pledge furniture polish. Pledge has 2 advantages. 1:it only cost about $2.50 a can (the plastic cleaner I've seen from $6-12 a bottle) and 2:you get that lemon fresh scent

I'm sure some other people will have some input on what your best solution is, but these are the ones I've used for the past 10+ years.

Happy Jeepn'

Comment

Congrats on the new top, i will be getting a replace a top for my TJ soon, all my zippers have gone to crap.

Comment

Originally posted by M4TJA1
        i will be getting a replace a top for my TJ soon, all my zippers have gone to crap.
        That's exactly why I decided to start with the top. The zippers were gone, although I certainly could've gotten another year out of the top.

But once I change the top, I figure I could just change the windows every couple of years to keep them clear, now that I know for sure what brand it is.

Comment

I use a window cleaner from the corner hardware. I'm pretty sure its Plexiclear. It is cheap, comes in a spray bottle, and, although its not lemmony, has a good smell. I'm sure your local hardware will carry something similar for plexiglass cleaning. Pledge has wax in it and will yellow your windows the more they are in the sun. Michigan winters make for crappy zippers with all the salt that they pour down. I have always used wax to make them a bit easier each spring. I dont use candle wax though. Board wax for surfboards or skateboards work well for me!

Comment

Ivory soap also works well for lubing the zippers.

Comment

Soap huh? I need to try that. My zippers are starting to be a pain in the ass to zip anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by TJMagoo
                Soap huh? I need to try that. My zippers are starting to be a pain in the a$$ to zip anymore.
                Yup, used it for years on all zippers. Best part is it does not gum up like waxes can, it washes away over time, su just rub it on every few months, or when it gets sticky again.

Comment

I put some warm water in a cup and stir in some dish soap then apply the soap mix with a toothebrush. Works well and gets the dirt out of the teeth of zippers.

(sorry honey.. will stop at Walmart and get you a new toothebrush)

Comment

Originally posted by TJeep
                    I put some warm water in a cup and stir in some dish soap then apply the soap mix with a toothebrush. Works well and gets the dirt out of the teeth of zippers.

Do you Also put fabric softener sheets inside the airbox to make the emisssons smell better?????

Comment

Working...
                    X