X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will it work?

i was wondering if a d35 out of a TJ is the same as on my YJ. i know before any of you say WHY WOUD YOU DO THAT?!?! well becuase i dont really wheel hard. Im more of a back road, minor trail kind of guy. But I want something new to put on my jeep and have found a d35 with like 15k on it in a friends junk yard, and can get it uber cheap... Let me know and also how can i tell what gears i have

see sig for jeep specs.

Your gonna need to bust out the welder. The TJ has coil springs and the YJ has leaf springs. You will need to take off the spring buckets and weld on new spring perches. Since it is not a direct bolt in, you can get a Ford 8.8 with drum brakes for about $350-500. If you have a 4 cylinder, get can get a matching gear ratio (you may ohterwise also). Don't waste the time/effort on another 35. You should be able to get one for a YJ just as cheap.

Comment

I agree there is no benefit for all that work. all you get is an rear end with lower miles. now maybe if it has disc brakes and a locker with a good gear ratio put it in and perform an soa it might be worth it

Comment

you can also get an old waggy axle cheaper if you're going to be welding. they have d44 and one piece 20's in them. they came behind 360 motors so they'll hold up to your 4 banger.

Comment

Whats wrong with the D35 you already have. If there's nothing wrong with it there really is no point in swapping it out for a TJ D35 even if the new one does have fewer miles on it. If your D35 is broken thats another matter. But if your going to go thru all the trouble of welding on new sping pads why not just pick up a D44 from a waggy and get an upgrade at the same time. Just make sure you match the ratios (or budget another $400 or so to make the front match) The gears you have will depend on the engine and transmission. Your rear should have a tag on the cover which will tell you what you have.

Comment

who said i have a 4 banger? i have a 6. and my rear is making some funky noises. atleast i think its the rear end...i hope its the rear end. everytime i get off the gas i get a grinding noise but if its in neutral theres no noise...i dunno...just replaced rear brakes so i know its not htat. i forgot about the springs. im not that dumb jsut totaly forgot about it having the wrong perches...oh well....junkyard...here i come

Comment

Originally posted by sreno0207
              who said i have a 4 banger? i have a 6.
              my bad. i saw GDJeep post about a 4 banger and in my old age i remembered it as you posting it.

Comment

Originally posted by FUBAR
                my bad. i saw GDJeep post about a 4 banger and in my old age i remembered it as you posting it.

lol its cool....im only 22 and i have a horrible memory too...so guys any sugestions on what my prob might be?

Comment

sounds like a transmission problem

Comment

Originally posted by sreno0207
                    who said i have a 4 banger? i have a 6. and my rear is making some funky noises. atleast i think its the rear end...i hope its the rear end. everytime i get off the gas i get a grinding noise but if its in neutral theres no noise...i dunno...just replaced rear brakes so i know its not htat. i forgot about the springs. im not that dumb jsut totaly forgot about it having the wrong perches...oh well....junkyard...here i come
                    Your rear axle is always spinning while moving, neutral or not. Like fubar said, sounds like tranny problem. Verify your problem before you go and "fix" it!

Comment

Originally posted by LeadFoot
                      Your rear axle is always spinning while moving, neutral or not. Like fubar said, sounds like tranny problem. Verify your problem before you go and "fix" it!

tahts waht i was afraid of....i guess it will end up being cheaper than having the rear geared since i can do a tranny myself...with 2 extra handes...boneyard here i come

Comment

hold the phone, lets make sure were all on the same page. you said neutral, is that moving? or stationary. If it does it in neutral, while moving... its the rear end.

Swap in a 8.8 anyway, bc its cool.

-Lou

Comment

when im moving...im takin it to my mech. and gettin him to go for a ride and see what he thinks. if its the rear ill have topay him to do it
                          if its the tranny its boneyard time nd illspend a few days doin it with my dad. i dunno i jsut wnat tit to be fixed for summer road trips! OH YES CANT WAIT!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X