Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temp gauge not working! EEEK!

Greetings list,

I have a 1989 Jeep Wrangler with a temp gauge issue. The engine is the 2.5L I4 TBI and the transmission is 5 Spd Manual. I did purchase a new temp sending unit and installed it. The gauge is the typical stock gauge for it.

What is the best way to troubleshoot this issue further if the sending unit is ok?

start the the sending unit and work back .check for voltage at sending unit and then work your way back to gauge .

Comment

Being its a YJ and the gauges are notorious for electrical issues, I would pull teh gauge cluster and check the wiring on the back for corosion.

Ususaly its the oil presssure or fuel gauge that go crazy first, but theres no real answer to which goes first.

If it DOES turn out to be the temp gauge, I think I might have an extra around.

Comment

Me TOO!

Mine stopped working in the 91 YJ just after it came back from having the body lift put on. All wires are hooked up & the sender appears to work. I have not checked its electrical output but if I disconnect the wire at the unit I get an immediate "check Engine" light. I suspect a "pulled wire.

Dave

Comment

Awsome Info

Ok thanks for the tips, my temp gauge seems to be the only culprit so far.

What is the next section on that, can I ground the wire to test the gauge? then if that does not work start tracing?

I know the sending unit is new, only 7$+/-

Comment

Ok This is weird!

My wife called me and says that the temp gauge started working after she got gas and started her up.

What tha ?

Comment

Working...
            X