X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting really annoyed!!

Ok, MY jeep is a 90 model and sometimes i will not get gas to carb, I would turn the key and the fuel pump wouldent turn on. ( the fule pump is brand new) Could a bad fuel filter cause this too?? Like lastnight night! Had to get towed home , Do you know what would be the cause of gas not getting to the carb, I went and started it this morning and it work, so could it be an electrical problem? well thanks for the help

You don't have a carb, it's TBI. Hvae you tried cycling the key to the ignition cycle to see if it helps it to start?

Comment

Try to turn the key till you hear the fguel pump kick in let it sit there for a second and then try to turn it over. That is what i have to do to get mine to start.

Comment

Originally posted by red90wrangler
        Ok, MY jeep is a 90 model and sometimes i will not get gas to carb, I would turn the key and the fuel pump wouldent turn on. ( the fule pump is brand new) Could a bad fuel filter cause this too?? Like lastnight night! Had to get towed home , Do you know what would be the cause of gas not getting to the carb, I went and started it this morning and it work, so could it be an electrical problem? well thanks for the help

Check the relay and the wiring, I've had some problems in the past w/mine. Look at the harness connector on top of the tank, had a corroded wire on mine, but didn't find out until after I dropped the tank.

Comment

had a similar problem

i also have a 1990... i went for several months, almost at wits end as my jeep would randomly die in awkward spots, only to restart again 10 or fifteen minutes later. I thought it was a fuel problem as well, I'd do crazy stuff like get out and kick the gas tank, open the gas cap and close it again... shake the whole thing as much as I could (amazingly sometimes that stuff seemed to work, so i kept doing it!), I checked the relays, replaced the fuel pump and fuel sender (it needed it anyway, and I had the tanks dropped) totally checked the entire loom of wires going to the relays and the ECU (or whatever you'd call that thing in a 1990) and finally got frustrated enough to strip all of the wiring out from the interior back to the fuel pump... turns out it was a wire that was supposed to be grounded near the parking brake, but had somehow come loose. every time I got in or out, i had a chance of hitting it or not, which would dictate of it started or not. good thing it always did eventually (I made it 3-4 months that way) So I don't know if the so called grounding job was a hack from a previous owner, alarm installer, or stereo installer (all originally present when I purchased it... all now removed) but in the end, all I had to do was put a new grounding bolt on the chassis and tighten down the nut and I've not had a problem since.

good luck finding the problem ASAP!

Comment

Have you had any work done on you gas tank lately? I had a leak in my tank a few years back and had a guy fix it. The a-hole sealed up the tank with silicone sealant. Gas dissolves silicone, the crud got in my fuel filter and pump and then resolidified. My YJ would work sometimes, and then just shut off. Ended up having to take it to the dealership to have them drain the tanks and flush the lines and clean out the pump. Now it works fine, but every now and then I get a little hesitation, mostly when its cold. Check that out if that sounds like a possibility. (BTW, I will never take my jeep back there, but then again I work at a shop now so that kinda solves that anyway).

Comment

Working...
            X