X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 Yj / Dana 44???

I keep reading that the Canadian YJ's came with DANA 44's. But did ALL of them or just certain combinations? How do I identify it? Did both ends come with the 44's?

I am new to JEEPS so I appologise if any of my terminology is not up to par yet.

Sorry if I wasn't very clear. You guys told me just about everything but HOW I IDENTIFY IT. Thanks for telling me I should swap it from this or that.... but what if it already has it???

Guys I am new to JEEPS but not to mechanics. I am limited by the information I am provided. I have yet to be able to confirm if Canadian YJ's had 44's stock or if this was an option with certain combinations. So in the meantime I need a way to be able to identify what a DANA 44 looks like or where I can find an identification mark/serial.

I do not want to swap anything! I want to simply identify if I have a DANA 44. I do not want to do anything but identify it. Can some one please describe or take pictures of a DANA 44 that will distinguish it from any other axel. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by ex-racer#2; 03-07-2006, 10:29 AM.

I don't know about canadian yj's but my recomendation is to swap f&r axles both, If your running stock transfer what about a 9" rear and a high pinion dana 44 front out of an old ford. No more pos 4x4 vacume lock. Are you running a 4 banger? if so you probably got 4.10's but better check any way, what size tires? engine it all makes a difference

Comment

Canadian YJ's did not have D44s.

Comment

I've heard Canadian YJs had a rear D44 option. But never confirmed it. So I am considering it rumor till I see it on Myth Busters. Supposedly Brazillian XJs had a D44/D44 option. A guy on EJP has them in his XJ.

Comment

Originally posted by joe_and_jeep
          I've heard Canadian YJs had a rear D44 option. But never confirmed it. So I am considering it rumor till I see it on Myth Busters. Supposedly Brazillian XJs had a D44/D44 option. A guy on EJP has them in his XJ.
          Detail what a 44 looks like and I will confirm the legend or let you know if it is busted... From the rough description I was given there is a possibility of it being confirmed from what my eyes are seeing.

Comment

Originally posted by ex-racer#2
            Detail what a 44 looks like and I will confirm the legend or let you know if it is busted... From the rough description I was given there is a possibility of it being confirmed from what my eyes are seeing.
            I know it's busted, as I own a canadian YJ.

Comment

I know it's busted, as I own a canadian YJ.
              Canadian YJ made for USA import? Or Canadian-Canadian complete with Km dash board? I think its a myth too but the myth is its an option not standard equipment.

Comment

Canadian YJ made for USA import? Or Canadian-Canadian complete with Km dash board? I think its a myth too but the myth is its an option not standard equipment.
                Made for the US.....but I have yet to see actual proof of a D44 equipped YJ. I have even checked out several right hand drive YJ's, they still had the standard 35 in the rear.

Comment

Not sure on this, when I put in a search for junk yards in Canada for the allusive YJ 44 3 years ago. I had a ton come back with available units, however they wanted a fortune for them, plus shipping.

However, for the price, it was cheaper to buy a XJ 44($400), $30 for shock mounts and new perches, and $100 to a local shop to cut off the old stuff, and weld on the new.

$530 on my end... could not even touch that with all the prices I got back.

PS: I have read everywhere that Canada and Egypt were the 2 available areas with 44 options.

Comment

I give up........

I am in CANADA. My Dash is in KMH. I have 2 axels under my YJ. I can look at them and confirm or deny this rumour in so far as what this particular stock from the factory unit has. But I couldn't tell you anything other than it is long and has wheels attached at the ends.

I have asked for some help here guys. It is evident that you know what one looks like or can somehow identify one. I have asked for this info REPEATEDLY. If you are more interested in your private discussions then so be it. If you can't describe one or don't know how to identify one then so be it. Look at my original post. I did not ask for options as to what to swap. I did not offer a topic of discussion for you to debate the myths and legends of the JEEP world. I did ask how to identify a DANA 44. As I make some modifications I need to know what axels I have in so I can determine how far I want to go without making them a weak point.

I have been told there are differances with the covers on the axels. Once again can someone PLEASE help me identify the differances. If someone has a Dana 44 can you please take a picture of them and post it and explain the differances.

Comment

http://www.northeastcrawlers.com/nec...ead.php?t=2319

Try that for an axle id guide.

Comment

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...p/IMAG0001.jpg

That is a Dana 60, but the shape of the diff cover is similiar but smaller.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...k/100_1368.jpg

And this is the D44 thats in my YJ. Out of a Wagoneer, with some extra crap welded to it.

Comment

dude. if you do some searching, either here or anywhere else of the internet, you can get millions of pics of the 44 and the 35.

Comment

Originally posted by nuttzach
                            dude. if you do some searching, either here or anywhere else of the internet, you can get millions of pics of the 44 and the 35.
                            Thanks to Joe_and_Jeep I have those pics. He was a lot of help.

Hmmm... search after search kept turning up tons of CRAP. Hey while looking I found this forum and thought it was a good place to ask those in the know. Take a look from post one to the end and see how many posts actually were of TRUE value in answering my questions. Most of them debated the myth of the Canadian 44 option and didn't actually help in identification. Some just made opinion as to the answer of the forementioned myth.

Simply passing on the info that the pics can be found on the internet helps who? Especially after someone actually offers the info requested in detail and it turns out to be the CHERRY stuff you have been looking for all along?

Comment

O.k., I hate to be a smart #ss, (no I don't) but, Google image search not working up in Canada? Type in Dana 35 and Dana 44 and you will get more pictures than you can shake a dead cat at (or something like that). Hey, I got an idea, let's all debate where the best place to get pictures of axles on the web!

Comment

Working...
                              X