X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 350 v-8 questions for 91 yj

Looking to replace my old carb'd 350 with a tuned port injection 350 out of a vette or camaro 1986-1991. any one know where to find one complete? Or maybe a newer 350 LT1 efi, or vortec? Pro and/or cons of each would be appreciated. I threw a rod in the 79' chevy 350 thats in my91 yj now. It must be a v-8, fuel injected, and needs to bolt up to a th350 np205 combo. Prefer to use my advanced adapters motor mounts I already have in(bolt in and paid for). Can weld the new ones if needed though. here is a pic of the jeep, its actually the day I threw a rod. This was at haspin acres in indiana
    Attachment
    Attached Files

What about a Tuned Port Injected 305/350 out of a late 80s early 90s Camaro/Firebird. They are plentiful. Or a Throttle Body Inject 350 out of a Pickup Truck. A guy in my club has no problems spinning 39.5s with his. The TBI (Throttle Body) motors are plentiful and inexpensive

Comment

I've been looking for a tpi 350 not 305 for a few weeks now. 305's are easy to find, the 350's are a little harder. I can't find any local, only ebay or nowhere close to indiana. Tbi is the second choice. I like the idea of 8 cylinders and 8 injectors. You also get good low and midrange from the tpi w/ better performance and gas milage than the tbi. There are a few years of vettes that had aluminum heads as well.

Comment

350 short blocks are pretty common. A lot of the ones installed in 1 ton trucks used 4 bolt main blocks and steel cranks. If you can't find one complete with intact fuel injection the 305s injection system will bolt up to the 350 block and heads. Just make sure you get the computer and the entire wiring harness with the fuel injection system.

Comment

I like my MultiPort and TPI as much as the next guy. But the TBI is still a great performing motor. And what I like is really simple to work on.

Comment

Originally posted by joe_and_jeep
            I like my MultiPort and TPI as much as the next guy. But the TBI is still a great performing motor. And what I like is really simple to work on.
            Yep.....seen lots of guys run TBI motors sideways and all sorts of directions. Simplicity is always a plus too.

Comment

I will probably end up getting a short block and put tpi on it. Anyone know where I can get a good short block in Indiana? Wiring won't be the hard part(I'm a union electrician). What anout a tpin set up?

Comment

TPI set ups for the small block can be found on late 80s (or early 90s) 3rd generation Z-28s. The TPI on the 305 will bolt up to a 350. You need the entire engine wiring harness, ignition system and the computer. An aftermarket chip would also be a good idea.

Comment

stay away from the lt1. dont get me wrong its a great motor but after you spend at least 1k on the motor and even more for all the pcm it gets pricey. also the painless wiring kit for it sucks. its not so painless!. if you wire it up yourself have fun with the security bypass. remember the camaro had the key with the little chip on it. not to say its impossible i mean hey i did it so anyone can but theres easier way to get 300 horsies. id go with a simpler setup next time. the tpi is a great motor and mod selection is endless for it there a dime a dozen at the salvage yards.

Comment

I found a l98 350 tpi lnog block w/ 650 miles on rebuild, bored 30 over. Now I need the injecttion system

Comment

Working...
                    X