X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4wd?

I did a little muddin the other day and after I got stuck I looked at my front left tire and it wasnt spinning (I was in 4-High) while my rear wheels were spinning. I dont know if my front wheels were caught up on something or if my 4wd isnt ingaging. Does anyone know how I can see if I have 4wd besides putting the whole jeep on jackstands? <--- which i dont want to do.
    I finally made it out of the mud pit under my own power but it shoudlnt of been that hard.

was the right front spinning?

Comment

Sounds like a normal open differential, as long as your right wheel was spinning.

Comment

unless you have lockers only one wheel per axle is going to spin. As long as the 4wd indicator on your dash is lit the vacuum disconnect is working. (it won't light until the axle is engaged) If the dash light didn't come on your vacuum disconnect motor may not be working.

Comment

your rear may have a factory locker if both wheels were spinning. The front is probably open and only one wheel should spin.

Comment

Originally posted by jeepkid411
            your rear may have a factory locker if both wheels were spinning. The front is probably open and only one wheel should spin.
            To the best of my knowledge Jeep YJs never came with factory lockers but they were available with a factory limited slip which under some circumstances could cause both wheels to spin.

Comment

Originally posted by jeepkid411
              Open differentials can spin both wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by LeadFoot
                Open differentials can spin both wheels.
                I stand corrected. You are right they can both spin if neither wheel has any traction or if both have equal traction. But normally only one wheel will spin with an open dif.

Comment

Working...
                X