X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Soft Clutch

My 90 YJ has been sitting for about 2 weeks now since I've been driving my truck everywhere. When I went to leave the other day I pressed in the clutch and it went almost to the floor with no resistance. It only felt as tough it had tension on it for about the last inch. I let it run a while and was really careful with the clutch and was able to drive it around the block. But while stopping and going it was very difficult to get into first gear and you only had that one inch of space to engage and disengage the clutch. Now today I checked the reservoir and it was at the min level. I added fluid and waited a few minutes. The level didn't go down but now the pedal has much more resistance. The pedal isn't back to normal but much better and much easier to drive. And I have no trouble going into first gear. So I wanted to know where I should check for leaks since it lost that fluid somewhere and is it possible that the clutch was soft just from sitting for a while? Thanks.

check the master cylinder on the fire wall my 95 did the same thing when it went bad. It may be leaking fluid inside the jeep onto floorboards under your carpet!

Comment

Yeah I checked around the cylinder because it went bad back in early December and was replaced. But since I've run it for a little bit it has been driving fine. I just don't know what caused it to be so diffucult other then sitting for a few weeks. I guess I'll keep driving it and looking for the leak.

Comment

Mine leaks at the slave cylinder, where it bolts to the tranny. Check there, too.

Comment

air in the lines?

sounds like you might have gotten some air in there because it was running too low... have you tried bleeding the clutch line?

Comment

2X on the air. Leting it sit would let the air settle. Bleed it out again. I used to have a Saab that I made a cool bleeder out of the old clutch master cylinder cap and a bicycle tube valve stem. I drilled a hole in the cap and then cut out the valve stem from the tube big enough to fit inside the cap like a seal. I screwed the cap on and then put low pressure ( a couple of pumps of a bicycle pump) on the system. I was then able to open the bleeder screw and get the air out. Worked real slick.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I was home on leave when I posted the question but my leave has since expired. It seems to be running fine last ime tI called home now that it is being driven more often. But thanks again.

Comment

Working...
              X