X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will i lose 5th gear?

i have a 93 wrangler, with a 5-speed manual 4 cylinder and a 2 inch shackle lift.

i was told, that if i put 33x12.50's on it that i would pretty much lose 5th gear? is this true? if so, what is the biggest size tires preferred for my 4banger?(yes i read the "what wheels fit my jeep" thread, im wondering if my jeep has enough power)

replies would be appreciated.

chris

its not your power, its your gearing. Do a search on gear ratio, tire size, 4cy... you'll get all the info.

short answer, yes, you will loose 5th gear. I wouldnt go much more then 31's, but im a 6cy kind of guy

-Lou

Comment

yeah my buddy put 32's on his yj and lost 5th all together. only way it worked was going down a hill

Comment

I have 32's on my YJ and I can use 5th gear just fine. It doesn't work all too well going up hill but I can accelerate with it on even ground on the freeway. Sorry about the size of the picture...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...z/c2c69cb6.jpg

Comment

On a down hill slope or on flat land at sea level you may still be able to use
          5th somewhat. (I lose the use of 5th if I turn on the A/C) The 2.5 isnt exqactly a powerhouse and needs the gearing for power. By increasing the diameter or your tire you effectively changed your gearing. If you regear to 4.88s with the 33s your gears will be approximatley what they are with 4.10s and stock tires. But who needs more than 4 gears anyway.

Comment

i have 95 yj 4cyl 5 speed 4.10 gears and yes you will lose fifth gear,and forth is about worthless unless you driving on flat road.

Comment

its a 4 banger to begin with, throw bigger than stocks on there with no regear, your just puttin more resistance on your engine than is already there. 33's on my 95' four banger made fifth gear absoluetly pointless unless downward slope on the highway. if im going 55 in 4th, and i throw it in fifth. it slows me down to 50.so you have to ask yourself if worse gas milage and having bigger tires is worth it, then go for it. i think it definetly is

Comment

I have a 4 banger with a 2 inch body lift and a 4 in suspensionwith 33x12.50s on it i can use 5th sometimes but most of the time fouth does the job

Comment

Working...
                X