X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 Islander stalling

Any other 89 YJ owners experiencing stalling when you slow down quickly? I've got the Inline six (4.2L) and have taken good care of it. Generally, it starts and runs just fine. Recently, whenever I brake hard or come to a stop at a red light, the rpms will drop to 0 and then die. When I try to start up again, the starter will have a tough time turning the engine over. Not sure if this is a fuel supply problem or electrical. To prevent the car from dying, I have to keep my right foot on the gas while braking just to keep the rpms up. Any similar experiences or solutions?

Thanks.

The problem is the POS carter BBD carb.

Comment

get used to it or replace the carb. me i got used to it.....till i put tbi in best 995.00 i spent..........

Comment

YJ stalling

jeepinwrangler -

AGREED! I forgot to mention that I no longer have that POS Carter Carb. I got the fuel injection kit and glad I did. It's been running fine for 5-6 years but now I'm having this stalling problem. Have you had any trouble with yours? The fix? Throttle position sensor going bad already?

Comment

Having FI makes this a different ball of wax.
          Do you have a check engine light wired up? If so you might try cycling the ignition key on and off several times and then counting the light pulses to get a code number that will point you in the right direction.
          If no CEL then do you have an EGR valve in your system? When the EGR fails it will create a stalling at low RPM problem.

Comment

brain chip more than likely. all the parts for the set are gm that would be my guess but no i do not have a problem ... knock on wood. but i bet that is the problem..

Comment

WillysJeep -

I do have the Check Engine Lit (cel) wired and have tried the ignitian cycling according to the Haynes Jeep manual but get no flashing code. I checked for the EGR valve but I believe it was removed as one of the Mopar MPI kit installation steps. The installation instructions verified this. Could it be a clogged vaccum line or check valve to the brake booster? I read that on another response to someone else's posting.
              I appreciate any advise.

Comment

Working...
              X