X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hockey puck lift..

Loud and clear: what does it take to make a 1" hockeypuck body lift on YJ 4.0L HO auto.. ?

Just buy a 1" body lift. You're going to spend 1/2 to 3/4 as much to do it w/ pucks & if you spend the extra $$$ you'll know it's at least safe.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilTwin v2
      Just buy a 1" body lift. You're going to spend 1/2 to 3/4 as much to do it w/ pucks & if you spend the extra $$$ you'll know it's at least safe.
      How ya figure?? Pucks are cheap and HARD. I've been hit with enough of them to know a puck will hold up as a body lift. My advice, get the pucks and 1" longer bolts, preferably grade 8 but grade 5 will do. You may also have to raise the fan shroud some.

Comment

I've seen the puck lift, it holds up. Your either gonna need a motor mount lift or fab brackets to drop the rad an inch.

Comment

I just put a 1" hockey puck lift on my CJ7, very durable, and cheap. I got them for .90 cents each at a local sports store. I needed 11, so it cost around $11! Compare that to a standard 1" BL - $80-$100

Comment

Ok, maybe I should have been a bit more clear on this. The pucks will work fine for you, but I can guarantee that if you hit somebody else with the vehicle afterward, and it's found that you made "unsafe modifications" to the vehicle, the lawyers will have a field day with you.

The cost of the pucks is only a small part of the cost. You need grade 8 bolts & some other brackets & bolts. I'm also assuming that since you're asking this, you've never installed a body lift, so you have no idea what all parts are moved & what all components you'll need. Therefore, protect your ***, and spend way way way less time. Buy a good quality body lift that includes all necessary components, and be done with it.

That's merely my opinion.

Comment

To do it correctly with the right bolts, It won't save you all that much money. I had a friend do that and by the time he ran around everywhere to get the stuff and purchasing everything, he said the total cost wasn't that far off.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilTwin v2
                Ok, maybe I should have been a bit more clear on this. The pucks will work fine for you, but I can guarantee that if you hit somebody else with the vehicle afterward, and it's found that you made "unsafe modifications" to the vehicle, the lawyers will have a field day with you.

The cost of the pucks is only a small part of the cost. You need grade 8 bolts & some other brackets & bolts. I'm also assuming that since you're asking this, you've never installed a body lift, so you have no idea what all parts are moved & what all components you'll need. Therefore, protect your ***, and spend way way way less time. Buy a good quality body lift that includes all necessary components, and be done with it.

That's merely my opinion.
                I agree totally. It would be different if it was a pure and simple trail rig that would never see street, but a DD or street/trail rig, you want to do it right and protect yourself. I am not saying that the Hockey Puck method is bad, but it could burn your arse in the long run. Plus I know someone(and they may have changed the compound of the pucks since then) that did one of these and after about a year or so, the pucks started to corrode. My BL has been on for over 4 years, no problems at all. My

Scrambler

Comment

The point is - I can get pucks everyday, I would like to buy a real lift but can´t order one anywhere in Croatia. So I guess pucks should do. Do I need to do any modifications concerning auto-tranny as well? No adapters needed for 1" lift?
                  Basically, what I need is 11 bolts (the higher the grade - the better?) and 11 pucks? I guess I should make a hole in them and then strengthen the hole with some 1" tubes wide as bolts?

Comment

Originally posted by powertech
                    The point is - I can get pucks everyday, I would like to buy a real lift but can´t order one anywhere in Croatia. So I guess pucks should do. Do I need to do any modifications concerning auto-tranny as well? No adapters needed for 1" lift?
                    Basically, what I need is 11 bolts (the higher the grade - the better?) and 11 pucks? I guess I should make a hole in them and then strengthen the hole with some 1" tubes wide as bolts?
                    You may need to adjust the linkage on your auto tranny but nothing major. I would get the proper length grade 8 bolts to attach the pucks. Be carefull when you drill them that they don't crack. (in the unlikely event that one cracks don't repair it just trash it) After you install your pucks check for interference with the transfer case shifter. You may need to do a little trimming of the floor pan. I am not a big fan of body lifts but a 1'' lift should be OK for tire clearance. I don't think lawyers are a huge concern in Croatia.

Comment

Originally posted by powertech
                      The point is - I can get pucks everyday, I would like to buy a real lift but can´t order one anywhere in Croatia.
                      Sorry, I don't recall seeing that in your profile when you first posted the thread. That changes a lot. But in that situation you really only have that one option.
                      To add something here, there are two body mounts inside of the rear wheels, they are normally smaller than the rest, you may have to trim the puck's diameter to make it work. And I think that it would be a good idea if you can get some sleeves to strengthen them up a bit.

Scrambler

Comment

My main concern was if it´s necessary to trim the gear shaft in order to put 1" on.. If that´s not the issue, I think I´m going for it.

Thanks a lot on your informations
                        Cheers

Comment

Working...
                        X