Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring plate bent? u bolt torque specs?

As i was swapping axles, i torqued the new u bolts down to 80 ft lbs, the chilton said to go to 90, but at 80 i noticed the spring plate starting to bend??
    Has anyone had this happen? its not a drastic bend but you can tell it arches with the spring??
    thanks

noones had this happen then i take it??

Comment

Originally posted by blakjeep95
      noones had this happen then i take it??
      The forum isn't an instantous response set up like a chat room.

Mine did it after I impacted the mofos on....so I just got some 1/4" plate, drilled some holes, and shes good as new now. As long as your u-bolts are tight, you should be fine. I bent mine pretty severely and they never broke/loosened up the u-bolts any.

Comment

thanks.. just want to make sure its safe..

i know how the forums work... i sawthat there were 17 views so i figured everyone that looked at the post hadnt had it happen to them... wasnt bein impatient.. sorry for the misunderstanding

as for the u bolt , its not bent BAD or nething, just wondering if i should be concerned/ it just has a slight arch in it with the spring.. should i get a plate like you said you did or just forget about it and check that there still tight in a couple wks?

Comment

To be completely honest I think you'll be just fine. I would, however, check it a week or so after just to be sure. Trust me, I would take a slightly bowed spring plate vs loose u bolts ANY day of the week. If you feel safer getting new ones/thicker ones, by all means go for it. My pretty severly bent ones held up for over two years of trail beating/ramming into tree stumps/rocks, etc.

Comment

i just bought all new u bolts, thats another reason i would hate to take the spring plate off now and get a new one.. it would defeat the purpose of the new u bolts wouldnt it?
            i dont get why chiltons says to torque them down to 90 ft lbs???

Comment

Originally posted by blakjeep95
              i dont get why chiltons says to torque them down to 90 ft lbs???
              That's just what they should be torqued to. Mine are, no bent plate, dunno why yours bent. Just check them after some miles to make sure they are still at 90 ft/lbs, and you'll be good.

Comment

Working...
              X