X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear U-Joint Problem

Hi guys, let me say thanks in advance but boy I sure hope I can get some advice here.

I recently acquired an 88 YJ and I'm having problems with the rear u joint. The caps on the u joint that should be secured under the straps allow the the whole u joint to move. That is, the straps seem not to pull down enough to secure the end caps in place.

Needless to say, at highway speed, this causes on heck of a vibration. I can picture in my minds eye, this u joint moving back an forth.

I not the original owner, so I don't know what has been done before me.

Here's the question, should there be a lip on the rear pinion yoke that secures the end cap of the u joint in place? The strap merely pins the u joint into the rear pinion yoke.

Should the straps have a lip or an edge that keeps the u joint from moving in the yoke?

Thanks

There should be little tabs on the yolk to keep the cap in place. It may still spin, but shouldn't be able to spit out.

Comment

That seems to be it, there are no tabs on the yoke.

I don't know if the guy that owned it before me, in his infinite wisdom, decided to grind them off or what.

I looked to marks to indicate that. I could find any, but that doesn't mean anything.

At the end of the day, they are not there. Am I looking at replacing the yoke?

Thanks

Comment

depends on how lucky you feel...

I had a bit of a bang around with my driveshaft at one point, and it stretched the u-joint straps (made an awful racket too). I still have the tabs in the yoke, but the straps wouldn't tighten on the u-joint cuz they were a little oversized. I cut two pieces of metal banding for shims and put them under the straps. That was over 30,000 miles ago. You could probably get away with that if you made sure the u-joint was well centered... at least for a little while. If you don't know what I am talking about when I say metal banding, it's the stuff a shipping company would use to secure a heavy part to a pallet for shipping. Or, I think that you could look at the auto parts store for shim stock... good luck

Comment

Originally posted by birddawg View Post
          That seems to be it, there are no tabs on the yoke.

I don't know if the guy that owned it before me, in his infinite wisdom, decided to grind them off or what.

I looked to marks to indicate that. I could find any, but that doesn't mean anything.

At the end of the day, they are not there. Am I looking at replacing the yoke?

Thanks
          You could replace the yolk or try to throw a little tack weld on there to act as a new "tab".

Comment

Originally posted by herman8r2 View Post
            I had a bit of a bang around with my driveshaft at one point, and it stretched the u-joint straps (made an awful racket too). I still have the tabs in the yoke, but the straps wouldn't tighten on the u-joint cuz they were a little oversized. I cut two pieces of metal banding for shims and put them under the straps. That was over 30,000 miles ago. You could probably get away with that if you made sure the u-joint was well centered... at least for a little while. If you don't know what I am talking about when I say metal banding, it's the stuff a shipping company would use to secure a heavy part to a pallet for shipping. Or, I think that you could look at the auto parts store for shim stock... good luck
            That's an awful lot of thought for something that's replaced with a $2 part. I guess if it works.... FWIW, whenever I go to the junkyard to pull driveshafts for building, I always take the straps and throw them in the toolbox. I've got quite a handful for replacements.

Comment