X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got a question on my jeep

I dont know if some of yall remember that I was having problems with my jeep not firing a while back.Well it still isnt running.Its a 94 yj with 2.5.I changed all the sensors .That didnt help so I took it to the shop and see if they can fix it.They checked some things and they thought it was the computer so I sent my computer off the get checked out because I couldnt find one no where in the junk yards around here and it cost me $256 to get it checked out I got it back and they put the computer in tuesday and still nothing,so I told them not to do anything eles to it and rolled it out the shop and I will come get.So what do yall think could be the problem.

Im thinking about a motor swap I can get a blazer that has 4.3 with transmission and trans. case for $500.Can up put a 4.3 in a jeep with some work?

Sorry the post is so long.Thanks Josh
    Last edited by jeepmanxjyj; 03-24-2006, 07:38 PM.

Yep you can do a motor switch to the 4.3 Liter. I do believe that is what TJMagoo did with her neuroc jeep. Check out the home page at 4wd.com and click on the link on the right for some info on it. 4wdh has some motor mounts in their catalog just for the 4.3 conversion and V8 swaps. Try also doing a couple searches thru the forums.

Comment

I just got a new 4wd catalogue and I noticed you can get a complete engine swap kit with engine from 4wd now, it is a 350 with diff hp/tq specs depending on how much you wanto pay.

Comment

I sold my S-10 Blazer to a guy that bought it to do that. Replace his 2.5 for a 4.3. I'll see if I can dig up some of his tech. He made wiring schematics and everything and documented everything and posted it.

Comment

Originally posted by jeepmanxjyj
          I dont know if some of yall remember that I was having problems with my jeep not firing a while back.Well it still isnt running.Its a 94 yj with 2.5.I changed all the sensors that a jeep can have and more.That didnt help so I took it to the shop and see if they can fix it.They checked some thing and they thought it was the computer so I sent my computer off the get checked out I couldnt find one no where in the junk yards around here and it cost me $256 to get it checked out and they put the computer in tuesday and still nothing so I told me to not to do anything eles to it and rool it out the shop and I will come get.So what do yall think could be the problem.

Im thinking about a motor swap I can get a blazer that has 4.3 with transmission and trans. case for $500.Can up put a 4.3 in a jeep with some work?

Sorry the post is so long.Thanks Josh
          It's not that the post is so long, it's very hard to follow because your spelling & grammer are horrible & you have dis-associated thoughts.

As for your question about engine swaps. My answer for you is that yes it is possible, but engine swaps are expensive... you have to add about 50% more for the cost (or more) than what you've figured. You're going to have to pay somebody alot of money to do it for you if you can't do it yourself. With a swap like this, it would be easier to do it with a pre-OBD2 donor vehicle. OBD2 vehicles will require all the sensors & computer stuff.

Also, my opinion about any custom work is that if you have to ask if it's possible, then you probably aren't ready to tackle it on your own. You should have it professionally done... and by professionally done, I mean by somebody who does this type of work for a living, and has done engine swaps before. Don't let the guy down the road do it for a couple cases of beer. You won't like the results.

Comment

Well this isnt school and your not no teacher but thanks for your input.I know that a 4.3 can fit in a jeep I was just asking if anyone has done it and what all did they had to do.I can swap it that want be no problem I have done stuuf like this before.I got a buddy that has put 400 small block in a cherokee.

Comment

Originally posted by jeepmanxjyj
              Well this isnt school and your not no teacher but thanks for your input.I know that a 4.3 can fit in a jeep I was just asking if anyone has done it and what all did they had to do.I can swap it that want be no problem I have done stuuf like this before.I got a buddy that has put 400 small block in a cherokee.
              Well first thing would be, which Blazer? S10 or full size? (I'm assuming S10).

Next, what year? I wouldn't touch an OBD2 truck for this type of swap. So 1995 or 96 (I'm not sure which year Chevy started w/ OBD2) and newer are gonna be a real pain, where you could much more easily swap in pre-OBD2 components & computer & be running.

How much of the Blazer's components do you want to use? Just engine? Tranni? T-Case? You'll need to fab some mounts any way you go, and may need some adapters or U-joints or drive shafts. Then you're getting into radiator, hoses, brackets, cables, exhaust, tranni shifter & shift linkage, 4wd shifters, and about a hundred other things I've forgotten.

There's a big difference between swapping a carburetter engine w/ HEI distributer as opposed to a computer controlled, fuel injected engine/tranni. No matter what your buddy thinks it'll cost, double the time & money estimate just so you won't be surprised when you're halfway through.

I've been involved in & seen (the right way & the wrong way) enough sbc swaps into different vehicles that I've seen how much can go wrong.

As for the spelling and grammar comments; I'm not trying to cut you down, just make you aware that if you try to use a bit better sentence structure, people may more easily understand what you're trying to communicate.

Comment

its a s10 blazer dont really no the year but it is in the late 80's.It is throttle body fuel injected with a 4 speed trans..My boss or the guy that helps us can do the fab and welding they do plenty of that.Sorry if im acting like an *** but thanks for the help

Comment

http://www.pahighlander.com/YJ_4-3L_Swap.htm

This is the guy that bought my Blazer for the Swap. Here is some of the writeup and his e-mail if you have questions.

Comment

Well this is a update I bought the blazer it is a 91 4.3,5 speed manual transmission.I got the motor,transmission and transfer case out of it.Now I have to get the motor and stuff out of the jeep so I can get the swap going.

i tryed emailing

Comment

seems like the wrong reason to upgrade...

not getting spark/not firing is a pretty trivial thing, yes, it might be hard to track down, but most likely it's something pretty minor and inexpensive. I would take it to someone else to figure it out if you're out of ideas.

Comment

I've seen bad coils cause big problems....
                        If your doin the swap, don't forget the wiring harness all the way to the fuel pump!

Comment

Pay special attention to the wires on the passenger side near the battery. Jeep got cheap on the YJ and used as little wire as possible. On my YJ that eventually cause stress on one of the wires which broke inside its insulation. You couldnt see the break from the outside and it took a lot of checking with the continuity tester to find the problem. Simple repair but another expample of design shortcuts buy commitee worried about saving a few pennies per vehicle.

Comment

I just encountered the same issue with my '95 wrangler. I checked all my fuses, and relays, and then I went through and changed all the sensors, and even my fuel pump since it was not engaging when I turned the key. I even traced every wire, looking for a shorted out or fried one, none were that way. After working on it for about 40 hrs total I started all over again, thinking that I missed something, and I did. The ign/lps fuse was not completely seating into the fuse box, it sat all the way into the fuse box but was not making contact.

Comment

There's a lot of things that must happen to tell the computer that the engine needs spark and fuel..

a simple test is to have someone turn the key on, and listen for the various relays to pull in. One is the fuel pump relay. If you don't hear the fuel pump relay pull in, then the computer has found a problem and is telling the relay not to pull in. The problem could be as simple as that loose fuse.

with the service manual and a vom (volt ohm meter) you can look for the inputs to the computer (from the sensors) and the outputs from the computer to the various relays and other control modules.

Since you spent that much money on it already, get a service manual and read how the whole shebang works.

And... spending $265 to check the computer is stealing. You can get a new one for that much money... a quick check on ebay brought up several new and used computer. There's several companies on ebay that sell new computer. I know, I got one for my 95 YJ that went brain dead.

In both my 88 YJ and my 95 YJ the no spark and no go were all traced to bad computers... (and that was after I replaced all the senors)

good luck!

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X