X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer case stuck in Neutral?

I was towing with my YJ today (luckily in my front yard) when I need a bit more power and traction, so I shifted into 4w lo. At least I tried. I was in neutral, slightly rolling forward when I shifted (as I almost always am). The transfer case shifter stopped at Neutral and got stuck.

The shifter will not budge in any direction and my car is stuck in Neutral! I tried to put the transmission in gear to help "mesh" the gears in the transfer case as I shifted, but no luck. I also tried the same thing by slowly towing my Jeep (a sad moment indeed!), but no luck.

Everything seemed to work fine before, the transfer case was just rebuilt about 5k miles ago and I have never had any problems shifting until now. Any ideas?

did the mechanic that rebuilt it leave a wrench sitting near the linkages? don't laugh, i've seen it happen and got a free wrench from it.

Comment

I hope not, since I installed it! When it was rebuilt, I pulled the transfer case and delivered it to the shop (to not waste their expensive time!).

I guess this afternoon I will pull it apart and have a look. Hopefully I didnt leave a wrench there.

Comment

Looks like the linkage to the shifter slipped a bit, and "hyper extended" itself. A quick tap with hammer fixed it right up.

Yet another use for a hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by tenoverthenose
          Yet another use for a hammer.
          My all time favorite tool...."if at first you don't succeed... try a bigger hammer"

Comment

Working...
          X