Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New jeeper, old jeep

Hi,
    I'm one of those brand new to jeeping. I bought an 88 manual 6cyl with 93K mi, due to the price and mileage. It has a few things wrong that my buddy will be looking at- but my biggest concern is that I bought a lemon to suck all my money, should I simply start over and buy another now that I have a better idea to this thing. It's choke is nonfunctional, the 4WD makes an aweful noise like its going to fall out when shifted into any 4WD mode (I'm very concerned about this), water pump leaks and can be replaced, belt squeals, drivers floorboards completely rusted through and the gauges most all do not work. Is everything minor- or should I have concerns before I put my buddy through fixin it up? Also, should I have true concerns for having a carburetor, I live at 8,000ft already. Should I simply look for a EFI version with a few more miles? Any help would be great. Thanks.

So what is wrong with it? It all depends on how much you are willing to spend. I would see what NEEDS fixed and take care of that first, then go from there. If you want to keep the 88, look into a newer FI engine or a TBI or FI upgrade. Personally that is what I would do, but I don't know what your situation is. I think all used Jeeps need a little TLC to make em what you want, but i don't think you are in that bad of a situation. Heck I have an 84 Scrambler that is going to need a new frame, body tub, engine, rebuilt axles, seats gauges, I think I will stop there, but you get the point. I will never part with that, I have the title and someday, God willing, I will have a New Scrambler to drive.

Scrambler

Comment

Jeeps are going to take your $$ any way you look at it. Floor pans are cheap. I would be a little worried about the transfer case making noises but the noise might actually be coming from the front driveshaft. Check your U joints. Go with the FI if you can. You should be able to find a complete unit (including the head) off any 4.0 wrangler in the local pick your part yard. Just make sure you get the entire system including wiring harness, sensors and computer.
      Last edited by Beavis; 03-28-2006, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Good luck with fixin all that, it sounds like fun. Just remember once you get everthing fixed and step back and take a look, yuo will want to do something else! Its a never-ending process. But welcome to the world of Jeepin'

Comment

First of all it all depends on your mechanic ability. Being you have a friend that is willing to look at it and fix it is great but your going to want to work through it with him and learn, the more you learn and know the less you'll have to pay to fix it. I agree with the previous post the floor is an easy fix, and the 4wd noise could very well be u-joint, but the first thing i would do is check and or change ALL fluids, who knows the t-case or diff might not have oil at all. waterpump and belts are a 1/2 hr fix at best. the thing i see is the transmission, it may be the infamous poueget (sp) trany, which i've heard makes a better boat anchor. but good luck regardless!!

Comment

What was it I was told when I first logged onto here?

J - Just
            E - Empty
            E - Every
            P - Pocket

Comment

Originally posted by kiowas99
              my biggest concern is that I bought a lemon to suck all my money.
              Yes you did, It's a jeep I have certainly heard of jeeps needing more , i.e. scramblers I would put a 4.0 head on with the FI still on it, aside from the awsome FI you will get 30-40 hp just by putting the head on it alot of info on this swap so just google it. The only problem you might have is with water jackets, but I believe the water jackets only give the older (pre 87) blocks problems with water jackets not lining up... Make sure you buy your friend lots of beer good luck and have fun

Comment

Working...
              X